CX-5 Trade-In Value

jlx21

:
16.5 CX-5
For those who have traded in their CX-5 at some point, or have considered it, can you please post your trade-in offers, along with your year, trim, miles, etc.?

My 16.5 Sport AWD only has around 6,500 miles on it from around 14 months of ownership; I've had enough and definitely should have spent more time deciding before purchasing it. I would like to trade in for either a CPO Subaru Outback (2015+), CPO Audi Q5, or maybe even an MDX, but I think I might need to wait another year due to the depreciation hit.

just not as much space as I would have liked. The trunk barely fits a city mini GT stroller and one other item. Rear doors also don't provide for much space when opened fully. Also want a more comfortable ride since my wife and 7 month old sit in the back. I sat in the back once while wife drove and it is much more rough in the back than in the front.

Could use more power, but it is adequate. I also enjoy driving the CX-5 a lot when I'm alone, but not when my wife and kid are in the car.

Also, a bit too noisy on the highway but not that big of a deal.

Have not traded mine in, but just curious, what don't you like?

Don't answer this if you even remotely want this thread to stay on topic.

As to your question, very doubtful anyone here has traded a 16.5, and if they did it was for another Mazda -- not the best reference point.

Look at it this way - your competition is new or CPO 16.5s still on lots, selling at ~$3-4K off msrp. So, for trade value add another $2K hit, and my best guess is $6k off msrp.

And, unless you're a real savvy buyer, your next dealer will inflate the trade value at the expense of the selling price.

ETA: Looking at your car ownership history, maybe you should take longer test drives ... just sayin'.

Last edited:
just not as much space as I would have liked. The trunk barely fits a city mini GT stroller and one other item. Rear doors also don't provide for much space when opened fully. Also want a more comfortable ride since my wife and 7 month old sit in the back. I sat in the back once while wife drove and it is much more rough in the back than in the front.

Could use more power, but it is adequate. I also enjoy driving the CX-5 a lot when I'm alone, but not when my wife and kid are in the car.

Also, a bit too noisy on the highway but not that big of a deal.

Understandable reasons. Sounds like there are some other better options given your circumstances. My wife and I are expecting in October, so it's good to know your point regarding the stroller and trunk space of the CX5. You might make out better if you upgrade to a CX9. Possibly would take less of a hit since you're staying within Mazda and they may be more accommodating. Either way, good luck. You definitely have the low miles on your side.

Wow, real nice of you.

As to your question, very doubtful anyone here has traded a 16.5, and if they did it was for another Mazda -- not the best reference point.

Look at it this way - your competition is new or CPO 16.5s still on lots, selling at ~$3-4K off msrp. So, for trade value add another $2K hit, and my best guess is $6k off msrp.

And, unless you're a real savvy buyer, your next dealer will inflate the trade value at the expense of the selling price.

Ha. $6k off MSRP seems accurate.

Have the same stroller and a child close to the same age. No complaints in that department.

You definitely bought the right stroller though. Highly recommended! :)

Intended to be factual, not un-nice. You've been on here long enough to know I'm right.

I get that. But I think knowing what the OP doesn't like about his CX5, could allow us to chime in what would may be a better fit for them. Not saying the OP can't make his own decision(he has prospective vehicles already in mind), but I'd like to think as a community we could help them out so they get the right car this time. Perhaps I am wrong and the OP doesn't want/need that kind of help.

Here is another site https://www.nadaguides.com/ that is helpful in car values. I know my Mazda used that more than KBB when trading in my car for my CX5. Can always try private selling but I know that can be a pain.

Strollers are a waste of space once you reach 3. Mostly used to haul shopping bags in Mall and for the occasional toddler sleep. I fit in a Bravo stroller + a cooler since I try to bring my food, plus one check in 50lb bag - the big ones. And some random stuff. Plenty of space for me. Besides in my usage a good 80% of the time its me alone. Thats going to be the case for most people. This is where CX-5 is excellent. If you are going to buy 2 DD for you and wifey and 3rd CUV for family - need to go the CRV/Rav4 route for the CUV. No use keeping a good driving car in garage.

ETA: Looking at your car ownership history, maybe you should take longer test drives ... just sayin'.

Fair point, but you're just contradicting yourself now, haha. (You say not to answer jhu's question and then also add that snarky comment at the end!)

A longer test drive wouldn't have solved anything though. I bought the CX-5 before the baby came along and living with the CX-5 now isn't what I had imagined it to be. And yes, I do get bored of cars quickly and leasing might be the better option going forward.

Just looking for real-world trade-in offers since I see a lot of used 16.5s (mostly GTs with less than 20k miles)on my local Mazda dealer listings these days.

just not as much space as I would have liked. The trunk barely fits a city mini GT stroller and one other item.
How big/tall is a mini GT stroller? I can fit two Britax B-Agile strollers side by side on our CX-5.

Oh and the CX-9 has less cargo space with the third row seats up. In my case, it wouldn't make sense to get a CX-9 just to fold up the third row seats.

Last edited:
How big/tall is a mini GT stroller? I can fit two Britax B-Agile strollers side by side on our CX-5.

Oh and the CX-9 has less cargo space with the third row seats up. In my case, it wouldn't make sense to get a CX-9 just to fold up the third row seats.

City mini GT is pretty large. We initially used a Chicco keyfit infant car seat caddy, which was totally fine and small, but the city mini GT takes up more than half of the width of the trunk.

We used to have a baby jogger city select but sold it after my wife could barely lift it up into the trunk, (and realized we didn't want another kid any time soon).

Understandable reasons. Sounds like there are some other better options given your circumstances. My wife and I are expecting in October, so it's good to know your point regarding the stroller and trunk space of the CX5.

Congrats! Our first (boy) was born in October last year. I also highly recommend the Chicco Keyfit 30 for an infant car seat if you haven't bought one yet. Works great with the CX-5, although it is kind of tight for rear passengers on the sides if you install it in the center (albeit the safest spot).

I recommend the Britax B-Safe car seat and the city mini GT. Both do exceptionally well in our CX-5.

I am also guilty of not spending more time on a test drive with my 2016.5 cx5,
wish i would of had it for a longer test drive maybe even over night,

I like it, just wish there was more room,

Considering at some point in driving a cx-9 but just not sure when i want to take the plunge

totally my fault,

Back