Consumer Reports New Car Issue 2024

:
2019 CX-5 AWD
Mazda CX-5 and top competitors.

QIBtAqM.jpeg

dZq7x4f.jpeg

2DliTb6.jpeg

FZ60w1X.jpeg

I'm in year 5 of ownership and I am still very happy with the vehicle for the price paid. The Subaru Outback was the only other choice I was looking at because of the value and expected quality (did not drive the Subaru, but did drive a Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV4, and the Lexus NX version of the RAV4), but watching POV videos of the current model:

I know Subaru is not the car for me, and CR's large reader survey shows it does have a higher rate of problems than Mazda. Reading this data and commentary I think I would still buy the CX-5 today, between the ride, handling, quiet interior, and value. Going to keep my 2019 until I need a new vehicle.

Last edited:
Here's better quality versions, tried uploading original JPGs (too compressed to read) and in PNG (better, but still doesn't preserve the image quality). Now I know, have to use Imgur instead of the forum image upload to preserve image quality. Here:

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics.

We drove a CRV and RDX. CRV is S L O W. The RDX is nice but not nice enough to pay the difference over a 2024 CX 5 T Preferred.

We had a Subaru way back. It was a great car up to 100K or so. Block cracked. Then many of our friends Subarus blocks cracked.

I'm going to keep records and receipts of all maintenance on the CX5 in case we have a head crack.

We keep our vehicles at least 10 years. The CX5 is replacing an 09 Accord.

Thanks for the pics.

We drove a CRV and RDX. CRV is S L O W. The RDX is nice but not nice enough to pay the difference over a 2024 CX 5 T Preferred.

We had a Subaru way back. It was a great car up to 100K or so. Block cracked. Then many of our friends Subarus blocks cracked.

I'm going to keep records and receipts of all maintenance on the CX5 in case we have a head crack.

We keep our vehicles at least 10 years. The CX5 is replacing an 09 Accord.
never heard someone describe a newer CR-V as slow. boring, yes, but never slow.

They are definitely nice rigs. Thank you for sharing the pics of the CR magazine. I have an online subscription. Love to support CR!

First time I've heard of those rims referred to as pizza wheels! haha I do love that style and wasn't a fan when I upgraded to my '22 with the new rim design.

that CR 24 issue is just a re-copy of the 23 issue.....the CRV really killed the cx5 in the CR roadtest score, hmmm

Last edited:
never heard someone describe a newer CR-V as slow. boring, yes, but never slow.
We drove a RDX 1st. Then the Honda. No comparison in performance.

We bought a CX 5 T. Power band is about right.

When they unlock the Ecu we will get it tuned and unlock more performance.

Right now I'm working on improving handling. Coilovers and sway bars, lighter wheels.

The stock 19" wheels weigh 62# with tire! That is more than my 10 ply tire and wheel on my 2500 truck. Amazing the CX 5 has good acceleration, stopping and fuel efficiency. Hats off to Mazda drive train engineers...

Great review! Our test drive left us unimpressed. I didn't want to plunk down nearly 40K for a Socker Mom mobile. The Honda sales staff was not excited about their product line like our Mazda staff.

Every time I sit in the CX 5, I'm surrounded by thoughtful touches. To be fair, we have a Preferred Turbo. It a bit of getup and go to 4000 RPM and some bells and whistles. Mazda's zero % financing clinched the deal for us.

We like having something a little out side the box.

We drove a RDX 1st. Then the Honda. No comparison in performance.

We bought a CX 5 T. Power band is about right.

When they unlock the Ecu we will get it tuned and unlock more performance.

Right now I'm working on improving handling. Coilovers and sway bars, lighter wheels.

The stock 19" wheels weigh 62# with tire! That is more than my 10 ply tire and wheel on my 2500 truck. Amazing the CX 5 has good acceleration, stopping and fuel efficiency. Hats off to Mazda drive train engineers...
well that's your problem right there :ROFLMAO:. other than gas mileage and maybe cargo capacity/space, the rdx is going to be way better in just about every way.

well that's your problem right there :ROFLMAO:. other than gas mileage and maybe cargo capacity/space, the rdx is going to be way better in just about every way.
Agreed! The CX 5 T, performance wise is about equal to the RDX and as feature rich. The CX 5 suspension is not performance oriented as the RDX.

We plan to fix/improve the CX 5 suspension in the very near future.

FE or MPG is about a wash between a CX 5 T and RDX. I like having optional octane type on the CX 5.

CR-Vs looks dated and so common compared to a CX 5. Mazda did a fine job updating the 3rd Gen. I like 1st and 2nd as well. Mazda MISSED it on the black wheels. They don't complement the body.

Once we get the CX 5 lowered on coilovers, some urethane sway bar bushings there should be much less body roll. When these Toyo A36 wear out or I can't stand them anymore, I'll upgrade to a more performance tire.

We have 8" wide, +45 offset, lighter wheels on order. When we get Conti tires we will reduce unsprung weight by 35 to 40 pounds.

THEN all will be well. LOL

Last edited:
Agreed! The CX 5 T, performance wise is about equal to the RDX and as feature rich. The CX 5 suspension is not performance oriented as the RDX.

FE or MPG is about a wash between a CX 5 T and RDX. I like having optional octane type on the CX 5.

CR-Vs looks dated and so common compared to a CX 5. Mazda did a fine job updating the 3rd Gen. I like 1st and 2nd as well. Mazda MISSED it on the black wheels. They don't complement the body.

Once we get the CX 5 lowered on coilovers, some urethane sway bar bushings there should be much less body roll. When these Toyo A36 wear out or I can't stand them anymore, I'll upgrade to a more performance tire.

We have 8" wide, +45 offset, lighter wheels on order. When we get Conti tires we will reduce unsprung weight by 35 to 40 pounds.

i'll have to look it up, but i thought you could use regular gas on the newer rdx w/ the 2.0T engine. cr-v does look dated, bland, conservative, though probably huge inside. the ride, cargo room and fuel economy are the main benefits i see of the cr-v. the last gen cr-v actually still looks good to me, at least the refresh models in certain colors. i agree about the black wheels and certain trim on the cx-5 and other mazdas (cx-30 comes to mind) not looking right. there are wrong and right ways of implementing the blacked-out theme.

edit: missed where you mentioned 3rd gen cx-5 - aren't we still on the 2nd gen?

Last edited:
i'll have to look it up, but i thought you could use regular gas on the newer rdx w/ the 2.0T engine. cr-v does look dated, bland, conservative, though probably huge inside. the ride, cargo room and fuel economy are the main benefits i see of the cr-v. the last gen cr-v actually still looks good to me, at least the refresh models in certain colors. i agree about the black wheels and certain trim on the cx-5 and other mazdas (cx-30 comes to mind) not looking right. there are wrong and right ways of implementing the blacked-out theme.

edit: missed where you mentioned 3rd gen cx-5 - aren't we still on the 2nd gen?
Yep, RDX can run on regular gas. Acura suggests running premium.

An Acura dealership web site suggested running regular gas and let the knock sensors protect the engine! Wow, that is scarry. I will never rely on knock sensors to pull timing to protect my engine!

Reading between the lines, don't drive a RDX hard on 87 oct.

Down the road, I'm going to log my 3rd gen, turbo at WOT on 87 oct and see if the knock sensors pull timing. Man I hope not.

With that said, I don't plan on running the CX 5 at WOT but on this test. I have a track only car. I don't get any thrill running a 227 HP car at WOT.

We have a 2019 CX-5 AWD, my wife's DD, she is VERY happy with it. It's also our road trip car and I like the handling on the open road. Just have to watch the cruise control because the following-distance feature means you can't go faster than the guy in front of you (well, duh, but the adjustment is gradual you have to watch the speedo because all of a sudden you might be doing 55 in a 65 because of slower vehicle ahead) - time to pass. Toyo tires were meh, replaced with Pirelli Scorpion All-Seasons ; they are quiet and handle great

Latest posts

Back