CX-5 Trade-In Value

City mini GT is pretty large. We initially used a Chicco keyfit infant car seat caddy, which was totally fine and small, but the city mini GT takes up more than half of the width of the trunk.
Does sound a lot bigger/wider than our B-Agile stroller.

I would just use KBB or NADA price determination guides. You put in your cars data, and it tells you the current ~ Trade in values.
It is only as accurate as the info you feed it.
I put in your data, $16,200-17,600 for "VERY GOOD CONDITION"

Last edited:
Just looking for real-world trade-in offers since I see a lot of used 16.5s (mostly GTs with less than 20k miles)on my local Mazda dealer listings these days.

I got $13,000 for my 2014 GT with 76,000 miles that needed new tires (I was at 2/32nds) and brakes. That was actually dead in the middle of where KBB said the trade in value would be.

For your car, you have a couple options to determine a ballpark trade in value. 1) Take it to Carmax. They offered me $14,500 for my car when it had only 65,000 miles on it, which again was what KBB said it should have been. The CX-5 is the only car that KBB even came close to being right on (I got housed on my Volvos and BMW). 2) Browse Autotrader around your area for similar cars. Deduct $2-4k off that as dealers will try to mark the car up at least that after it's traded in. 3) Just bring it into a Mazda dealer and see what they'd offer you for it. Pretend you're interested in a CX-9 or something.

With new 16.5 Sports going for around $20-21k, I assume a dealer would want to list yours for maybe $18-19k. If I had to guess a trade in offer for your car I'd say $15.5-16k. It might be a little more because of the very low mileage.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
2015, touring, 2.5 awd, 58k miles, 2mo or so ago, was contacted by local dealer who had no used cx5s. Offered 13.6k, in line with the current prices they could get one for at auction as well as KBB Black Book. Declined, and no counter offer was made, nor did they follow up with another offer. Mazda cx5 trade value is just weak, regardless of what some Internet trophy was bestowed by some site.

*tires had good life, and the vehicle is in great shape. Dealer did test drive. No flaws or issues or maintenance items were pointed out to me in the trade process as a devaluation technique. They tried to offer me a new Mazda , and included advertised incentives plus I believe 500 in loyalty.

Last edited:
A Fellow forum member recently got $24k in trade for his 2016 GT that stickered for $33k. Don't know what his mileage was at trade-in.

A Fellow forum member recently got $24k in trade for his 2016 GT that stickered for $33k. Don't know what his mileage was at trade-in.

Thanks! As other posters have pointed out, I'm very familiar with KBB, nada, black book, etc., but also aware that dealers can quote much, much lower, and sometimes higher.

2015, touring, 2.5 awd, 58k miles, 2mo or so ago, was contacted by local dealer who had no used cx5s. Offered 13.6k, in line with the current prices they could get one for at auction as well as KBB Black Book. Declined, and no counter offer was made, nor did they follow up with another offer. Mazda cx5 trade value is just weak, regardless of what some Internet trophy was bestowed by some site.

*tires had good life, and the vehicle is in great shape. Dealer did test drive. No flaws or issues or maintenance items were pointed out to me in the trade process as a devaluation technique. They tried to offer me a new Mazda , and included advertised incentives plus I believe 500 in loyalty.

Yeah, 13.6 is really low... they'd probably spend a few hundred certifying it and selling it for close to 20k. I've traded in or received quotes for other previous cars and early lease terminations, and the CX-5 has definitely fared the worst. I may end up having to keep this one for another 4 years, which is unprecedented for me. :(

I got $13,000 for my 2014 GT with 76,000 miles that needed new tires (I was at 2/32nds) and brakes. That was actually dead in the middle of where KBB said the trade in value would be.

For your car, you have a couple options to determine a ballpark trade in value. 1) Take it to Carmax. They offered me $14,500 for my car when it had only 65,000 miles on it, which again was what KBB said it should have been. The CX-5 is the only car that KBB even came close to being right on (I got housed on my Volvos and BMW). 2) Browse Autotrader around your area for similar cars. Deduct $2-4k off that as dealers will try to mark the car up at least that after it's traded in. 3) Just bring it into a Mazda dealer and see what they'd offer you for it. Pretend you're interested in a CX-9 or something.

With new 16.5 Sports going for around $20-21k, I assume a dealer would want to list yours for maybe $18-19k. If I had to guess a trade in offer for your car I'd say $15.5-16k. It might be a little more because of the very low mileage.

Hope that helps.

Definitely helpful!

What is making you consider selling/trading?

It's the accumulation of too many irritants. Maybe I set my expectations too high for a $32k vehicle that is really a $24k vehicle with $8k in upgrades.

Endless rattles (door, dash, roof, rear), creaking front suspension pieces, rattling front windows, 10+ trips back to the dealer for various annoyances. 3 recalls. A transmission I don't trust. Rear brakes wearing too fast.

That's enuff for now. Still a fan of Mazda and wish them well, but I certainly didn't get the quality CX5 I expected. Especially after owning a quasi-ford 2005 Mazda 6 that was 100% trouble free.

Trust me, it sucks knowing I'm throwing away $10k due to this. But I need to be happy with my vehicle. And I can succinctly say I am currently not happy with my purchase. The 2017 CX5 is out because the front end is too repulsive.

Last edited:
Yeah, 13.6 is really low... they'd probably spend a few hundred certifying it and selling it for close to 20k. I've traded in or received quotes for other previous cars and early lease terminations, and the CX-5 has definitely fared the worst. I may end up having to keep this one for another 4 years, which is unprecedented for me. :(

Doubt it. I bought it for 21.9K with 28K miles on it back in 2015, and traded in a Jeep that they paid me KBB PP Retail for (about $2000 above KBB Trade in--Bluebook) that they then dumped at auction. But yeah, trade-in is trash on a CX5. Worst of any vehicle I've ever owned. Hell, I traded my 10 year old Trans Am with a broken AC and paint peeling on the hood (2001 model) for $7500 at a sleezeball little local dealer (not even a real dealership, just a trailer and cars out back). They said they would pay me CASH $7500 for it, or I could go pick out a car and go from there. Checkbook in hand, ready to write. I picked a car, but his cash offer was legit. I believe the car retailed for around $37K or so when new. SO...new hood paint, new AC compressor, 149K miles on it, and they gave me over 25% original MSRP. I have a flawlessly functional with good tread and minimal wear CX5 with 1/3 those miles roughly, that is only 2 model years old, and I am already below 50% value, lol!

Last edited:
I got $19K for my 2016 AWD Touring with 30K miles.....from a dealer.

Last edited:
It's the accumulation of too many irritants. Maybe I set my expectations too high for a $32k vehicle that is really a $24k vehicle with $8k in upgrades.

Endless rattles (door, dash, roof, rear), creaking front suspension pieces, rattling front windows, 10+ trips back to the dealer for various annoyances. 3 recalls. A transmission I don't trust. Rear brakes wearing too fast.

That's enuff for now. Still a fan of Mazda and wish them well, but I certainly didn't get the quality CX5 I expected. Especially after owning a quasi-ford 2005 Mazda 6 that was 100% trouble free.

Trust me, it sucks knowing I'm throwing away $10k due to this. But I need to be happy with my vehicle. And I can succinctly say I am currently not happy with my purchase. The 2017 CX5 is out because the front end is too repulsive.

Yeah, I agree that it's not a $32k vehicle; $24k seems right, considering I bought the base AWD for a hair over $24k. I just couldn't justify paying close to $30k or over for a GT with Tech.

And same, I need to be happy with my vehicle as well but definitely let us know how you fare on your trade.

Also, what are you looking to get instead?

Yeah, I agree that it's not a $32k vehicle; $24k seems right, considering I bought the base AWD for a hair over $24k. I just couldn't justify paying close to $30k or over for a GT with Tech.

And same, I need to be happy with my vehicle as well but definitely let us know how you fare on your trade.

Also, what are you looking to get instead?

2014 QX70. Yeah they're getting a bit long in the tooth, have issues with wheel bearings and door actuators, and my god, those fugly fender vents. But I don't want a turbo charged engine, and I wouldn't mind a more premium feel. Unfortunately nothing else is really tickling my fancy.

2014 QX70. Yeah they're getting a bit long in the tooth, have issues with wheel bearings and door actuators, and my god, those fugly fender vents. But I don't want a turbo charged engine, and I wouldn't mind a more premium feel. Unfortunately nothing else is really tickling my fancy.

They say the same things about the V36 G35/G37 about wheel bearings and door actuators. I've never had any fail on mine though. That QX70 should be good long term & reliable vehicle. Not gonna set any MPG records... heck I only average 21MPG in my G35x but it only has the older 5 speed versus the 7 speed in the QX70. I can match that MPG in my G35x on the highway with the 4.6L V8 in my GX that weighs like 1500 lbs more.

They say the same things about the V36 G35/G37 about wheel bearings and door actuators. I've never had any fail on mine though. That QX70 should be good long term & reliable vehicle. Not gonna set any MPG records... heck I only average 21MPG in my G35x but it only has the older 5 speed versus the 7 speed in the QX70. I can match that MPG in my G35x on the highway with the 4.6L V8 in my GX that weighs like 1500 lbs more.

I'd be okay with a 2012 FX35 or 2013 FX37, but I'd prefer to get a bit of the factory warranty still in place. The local Infiniti dealer offers lifetime power train, but their prices are the steepest I've seen.

Had the chance to get a 2009 FX50 with 50k miles last week, but I don't want to get something that old. But man that would have been a blast to drive (0-60 under 5 seconds).

One thing I've noticed is almost all used ones I've come across were corporate leased vehicles.

You can extend the factory warranty out to like 10 years and 120K miles if basic 4/60 bumper to bumper hasn't expired. Only get the Infiniti Elite though. I did buy one in the day for $1800 and it did pay for itself. Infiniti has a good 6/70 powertrain warranty though.

Back