CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, Uno, are you serious? ;)

Anyway glad to see you start posting. Must be busy making more money I guess!

To answer the guy worked for Chevy, the inherent problems by cylinder deactivation normally won’t show up until 4~5 years or over 50K+ miles depending on how often the CD is activated. Most of time the vehicle is out of the warranty and the owner just uses independent garage to fix the problem and disable the CD. That’s why you won’t see the problem often at a Chevy dealer.

Also, Mazda implements CD on a 4-cylinder which is the first in the US. There’s a reason why nobody else wants to use this technology in a 4-cylinder as the risk-vs-reward may not make any sense.

I was just busy with other things. I got a slight raise, which has had the effect of allowing me to keep my same schedule, and still make more. I've just been busy with the new house, etc.

Yes, it's proven. Dodge did a TON of testing before putting it in LE vehicles, and PD's have not seemingly had issues with it to my knowledge. My Jeep went nearly 100K miles and did fine, as a personal "sample of 1".

Google search for reports of misfiring and high oil consumption on the 5.7L hemis with MDS. There are plenty of them. I haven't heard of any class action though, so maybe it's not as widespread as with the GM and Honda engines.

You’re judging it without giving it chance. It’s 2018 and maybe, just maybe it will have been developed better than thos older models.

Maybe. I'm not saying that Mazda couldn't have worked it out. It's just that the risk/reward balance seems tilted toward more risk than reward.

Last edited:
Check the internet. GM's AFM problems are widespread. Lots of issues with misfiring and high oil consumption. They also recalled 370k vehicles in the US a few years ago due to a fire risk from AFM. And they are right now in a class action lawsuit.

The suit was for the previous gen engine and was an oil ring problem, iirc. It was dismissed last year. The current engine has been in use for 5 years (the time I was with Chevy) with minor tweaks along the way, and seems pretty solid. According to the corporate people, they stress test the V6 and V8 EcoTech 3 engines to 250,000 miles. You only notice the cylinder deactivation because it tells you on the dash. It's unnoticeable otherwise

Check the internet. GM's AFM problems are widespread. Lots of issues with misfiring and high oil consumption. They also recalled 370k vehicles in the US a few years ago due to a fire risk from AFM. And they are right now in a class action lawsuit.

No lawsuits here.

The lawsuit applied to vehicles through the 2013 MY. The 2014+ vehicles are just now getting into the mileage window where the problems are likely to appear. When the bulk of the 2014 fleet is over 50k miles and there aren't widespread problems, then you can declare victory. Same for the Honda guys who are sure that Honda finally has it fixed this time.

Manufacturers have been stress testing engines since Henry Ford. That doesn't mean production engines don't have problems in the field, they always have, they always do.

How does the GM system work? Is it like the Mazda system where the actual valves are DE-linked and deactivated?

If you are dead set against COD then don’t buy a vehicle with it. Why try to dictate that to everyone else.

I haven’t heard of any horror stories out of Europe.

Most GM vehicles here would have done more than 80,000km and AFAIK no report of any widespread issues.

All this discussion is moot since Mazda are releasing it on the CX-5, 6 and my guess is in the not too distant future on the 3.

It's going to happen, nothing anyone can do about it.

And like I said, they have completely eradicated dilution between the 2016.5 and the 2017 model. That is a revelation in design and a major step forward. If the piston sealing is so good now, that gives me a high level of confidence that providing they apply the same technology, there should be no fouling of spark plugs.

And like I said, they have completely eradicated dilution between the 2016.5 and the 2017 model. That is a revelation in design and a major step forward. If the piston sealing is so good now, that gives me a high level of confidence that providing they apply the same technology, there should be no fouling of spark plugs.

Are you referring to the new rings?

Yes. I could virtually watch the oil climb the dipstick on my 2016.5. In double the mileage on this 2017, it like it’s been painted on. It’s absolutely not moved.

I check my oil quite regularly and have not seen any increase nor decrease in oil level. The new rings have a odd shape too from watching Dave Coleman on YouTube.

Yes. I could virtually watch the oil climb the dipstick on my 2016.5. In double the mileage on this 2017, it like it’s been painted on. It’s absolutely not moved.

They have fixed the diesel oil issues.

What happens to the diesel if the regen is interrupted, if its no longer (hopefully) entering the sump then whats happening to it?

They have fixed the diesel oil issues.

Statement or question?

What happens to the diesel if the regen is interrupted, if its no longer (hopefully) entering the sump then whats happening to it?

The regens are much shorter so the chances of interrupting one is reduced but they have changed the phasing of the injection to stop fuel pooling and sticking to the cylinders. They have included countermeasures to address dilution but in my case, which is a good mix of duty, it always seems to regenerate soon after reaching normal temperature unlike the 2016.5 which did it any time.

Most GM vehicles here would have done more than 80,000km and AFAIK no report of any widespread issues.

All this discussion is moot since Mazda are releasing it on the CX-5, 6 and my guess is in the not too distant future on the 3.

It's going to happen, nothing anyone can do about it.

The Honda boards are filled with people coming up with ways to de-activate the system and lots of reports of excessive oil use and worn rings. I believe Honda had a class action lawsuit and now covers those engines up to 120K miles. But a lot of those cars were from 2011-2012 and actually showed up early (before 70K miles). Not any many problems with the cars from 2014 on. What is looks like is that if you have fouled spark plugs and excessive oil use early, you are in trouble. Personally, I am thinking of installing the VCM muzzler on our Odyssey.

Thanks Anchorman

Statement or question?

The regens are much shorter so the chances of interrupting one is reduced but they have changed the phasing of the injection to stop fuel pooling and sticking to the cylinders. They have included countermeasures to address dilution but in my case, which is a good mix of duty, it always seems to regenerate soon after reaching normal temperature unlike the 2016.5 which did it any time.

How does the GM system work? Is it like the Mazda system where the actual valves are DE-linked and deactivated?
Mazdas cylinder deactivation system is just like any other CD systems implemented. The only difference is GMs V8 is an OHV design, the actuators within hydraulic lifter or lash adjuster are located down. Hondas OHC V6 VCM system will look very similar to Mazdas CD system.

I agree with Red MC on CD. And however the ring sealing has been improved on diesel, the rings for SA-G are still working under a totally different situation and environment. The huge temperature swing constantly in those activating and deactivating outer cylinders will be big challenge on longevity for cylinders and rings; so as the valve train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back