CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll bet that a lot of the weight gain came when Mazda stiffened their chassis for the 2017 model. The noise deafening added as well. Yet the loss of fuel economy was minor compared to before. Mazda’s bigger vision is to make so called “class above” vehicles that meet their customers desires. I believe they are still on the right track.

Yes that is when the major weight gain occurred. But wonder why it's gone up again for the 2018 model (uhm)

It's not a surprise their cars are gaining weight. It's because of the move to "premium". Their cars lose weight when they transitioned to the SkyActiv platform, but every new model since then has slowly gained a little weight.

So there's been 8 pages on this thread. What are we really trying to find out in this thread?

2018 Mazda CX-5s are coming with cylinder deactivation whether we like it or not. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet; don't buy the 2018s. I honestly think that's the only way you can convince Mazda to drop cylinder deactivation on their CX-5 engine.

Yeah, I'm not hoping to convince Mazda to drop it. I was hoping for some more info about how they're managing it. But unless some new information drops I think this thread has run its course.

If Mazda want to go premium they need to add extra gears, and more power options.

The 2017 car still has considerable road noise IMO, during my one day driving one it was noticeable, and I don't think I went over 60mph, all none motorway roads.

It's not a surprise their cars are gaining weight. It's because of the move to "premium". Their cars lose weight when they transitioned to the SkyActiv platform, but every new model since then has slowly gained a little weight.

So there's been 8 pages on this thread. What are we really trying to find out in this thread?

2018 Mazda CX-5s are coming with cylinder deactivation whether we like it or not. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet; don't buy the 2018s. I honestly think that's the only way you can convince Mazda to drop cylinder deactivation on their CX-5 engine.

My model gain around 40kg from the 2016 car to 2017.
Sound insulation, new glass must account for some of it, along with a sunroof.

Increase in lowdown torque will have helped keep MPG decent, but Mazda only claim around 9.5 secs to 60mph in the brochure. Not exactly premium performance.

Ill bet that a lot of the weight gain came when Mazda stiffened their chassis for the 2017 model. The noise deafening added as well. Yet the loss of fuel economy was minor compared to before. Mazdas bigger vision is to make so called class above vehicles that meet their customers desires. I believe they are still on the right track.

I just did a calculation, the AWD model in Canada has only got up 17kg for 2018. Not that much actually

Canada 2017 AWD (1659kg)
Canada 2018 AWD with Cylinder Deactivation (1676kg)

Current 2017 Aussie AWD Akera here is 1670kg. No info on 2018 model as of yet.

Last edited:
If Mazda want to go premium they need to add extra gears, and more power options.

The 2017 car still has considerable road noise IMO, during my one day driving one it was noticeable, and I don't think I went over 60mph, all none motorway roads.
Still quieter overall than my just departed 6

My model gain around 40kg from the 2016 car to 2017.
Sound insulation, new glass must account for some of it, along with a sunroof.

Increase in lowdown torque will have helped keep MPG decent, but Mazda only claim around 9.5 secs to 60mph in the brochure. Not exactly premium performance.

Break down of 40kg weight gain from KE to KF:

• More versatile rear seats and increased driver-assist tech (5kg)
  • Better crash safety (5kg)
  • More opulent cabin fittings (10kg)
  • Refinement/dynamic performance :- sound deadening and 15 percent rise in torsional rigidity (20kg)

Source: 2017 Mazda CX-5 international first drive

It all adds up to less of a weight gain than filling one up with fuel and I can’t detect the difference in handling and performance when that happens.

Its much quieter than my old 2016.5 and I’ve not found anything south of a high end Lexus or Merc thats quieter out of the box. Road noise depends very much on road surface.

I find my 2017 GT quieter then the 2010 Lexus 350 it replaced by a noticeable amount. And the CX-5 is still much quieter then anything else in its price category. But there are some noisy roads no matter what you drive - well maybe a 5000kg Rolls or Bentley is quiet on those - I have not tested everything.

My 2013 sport nav awd manual was 1663kg
My 2015 sport nav awd auto is 1703kg
Same car for 2017 is now around 1743kg
All diesels.

So it appears different markets have different weights.

I just did a calculation, the AWD model in Canada has only got up 17kg for 2018. Not that much actually

Canada 2017 AWD (1659kg)
Canada 2018 AWD with Cylinder Deactivation (1676kg)

Current 2017 Aussie AWD Akera here is 1670kg. No info on 2018 model as of yet.

But the Lexus was 8 years old?
How does a 2017 Lexus compare.

I find my 2017 GT quieter then the 2010 Lexus 350 it replaced by a noticeable amount. And the CX-5 is still much quieter then anything else in its price category. But there are some noisy roads no matter what you drive - well maybe a 5000kg Rolls or Bentley is quiet on those - I have not tested everything.

I agree the wind noise is an improvement on my car, and my car is an improvement on my 2013 car, even the central locker makes less noise on the 2017. I couldn't hear the engine on tick over which I haven't had since a 1999 Audi turbo petrol, when the rev counter was the only way of telling the engine was running.

But road noise is still noticeable, probably because the wind noise has reduced.

To be honest I'm happy with the noise levels on my own car, but I don't do a lot of high speed driving.

Still quieter overall than my just departed 6

Last edited:
But the Lexus was 8 years old?
How does a 2017 Lexus compare.

No idea - but i could hear the Ugly of the new ones, and +20K for similar options I didn't explore. I am sure the 2017 Lexus is quieter then my 2010 just due to age of seals and rubber. Is it quieter then the Mazda? Maybe, but since i wasn't considering it, not really relevant.

But Mazda did an incredible job reducing the noise level of the new CX-5. I test drove them for the past few years, and never bought one as I thought they were too noisy. The 2017/2018 is much lower and better then my Lexus so i purchased.

Its much quieter than my old 2016.5 and Ive not found anything south of a high end Lexus or Merc thats quieter out of the box. Road noise depends very much on road surface.

100%. The testing has shown 65-67 db at 70 mph. Not many cars that low. The old CX-5, like most of its current competitors, is 70-71 db at 70 mph.

And the lowest I have ever seen is ~63-64 db, so that is pretty darn good for a car with a base price of $20,000.

Last edited:
My 2013 sport nav awd manual was 1663kg
My 2015 sport nav awd auto is 1703kg
Same car for 2017 is now around 1743kg
All diesels.

So it appears different markets have different weights.

Correct

FYI 2017 diesels here weigh either 1708kg (Maxx Sport & Touring) or 1744kg (GT & Akera)

Last edited:
Its much quieter than my old 2016.5 and I’ve not found anything south of a high end Lexus or Merc thats quieter out of the box. Road noise depends very much on road surface.
Concrete expansion joints still effect it I believe

I agree the wind noise is an improvement on my car, and my car is an improvement on my 2013 car, even the central locker makes less noise on the 2017. I couldn't hear the engine on tick over which I haven't had since a 1999 Audi turbo petrol, when the rev counter was the only way of telling the engine was running.

But road noise is still noticeable, probably because the wind noise has reduced.

To be honest I'm happy with the noise levels on my own car, but I don't do a lot of high speed driving.
As Anchorman said, depends on the road surface

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back