CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted a db chart showing the cx-5 below the X3 which is quieter.
So not as quiet as you might think, from group tests I also believe the Tiguan is quieter.

100%. The testing has shown 65-67 db at 70 mph. Not many cars that low. The old CX-5, like most of its current competitors, is 70-71 db at 70 mph.

And the lowest I have ever seen is ~63-64 db, so that is pretty darn good for a car with a base price of $20,000.

Last edited:
I find my 2017 GT quieter then the 2010 Lexus 350 it replaced by a noticeable amount. And the CX-5 is still much quieter then anything else in its price category. But there are some noisy roads no matter what you drive - well maybe a 5000kg Rolls or Bentley is quiet on those - I have not tested everything.

Actually not even those.

From a Car and Driver article:
Mazda added more sound insulation and a thicker windshield to make the new CX-5 quieter than before. Our sound-level test—conducted at 70 mph—indicated a 4-decibel decrease from the previous model. At 65 decibels, the CX-5 is quieter than all rivals in this comparison; we recently recorded the same sound level in a $280,000 Bentley Bentayga.

I am shying away from a 2018 due to the cylinder deactivation.

I found a 2017 AWD Touring for $1k down @ $330 month for 36 months (lease)? Is that a decent deal?

Actually not even those.

Mazda added more sound insulation and a thicker windshield to make the new CX-5 quieter than before. Our sound-level test—conducted at 70 mph—indicated a 4-decibel decrease from the previous model. At 65 decibels, the CX-5 is quieter than all rivals in this comparison; we recently recorded the same sound level in a $280,000 Bentley Bentayga.

Link please (uhm)

Actually not even those.

Yes, the S-class Mercs are at 64-65 and several Audi models are at those numbers as are several Lexus models. But you don't get much quieter than that. Now, I would not doubt at 90-100 MPH, the differences will be there but at 50-70, the CX-5 is pretty darn quiet.

Why the assumption that there will be problems with cylinder deactivation? I worked at Chevy for the last 5 years, until this month. I never had one Silverado, Tahoe, or Suburban customer come back and say they had an issue with the cylinder deactivation. I heard the occasional mention of issues in earlier body styles, but nothing in the recent ones

Why the assumption that there will be problems with cylinder deactivation? I worked at Chevy for the last 5 years, until this month. I never had one Silverado, Tahoe, or Suburban customer come back and say they had an issue with the cylinder deactivation. I heard the occasional mention of issues in earlier body styles, but nothing in the recent ones

Good to know!

Exactly. It's a proven and reliable technology.

Exactly. It's a proven and reliable technology.
Wait, Uno, are you serious? ;)

Anyway glad to see you start posting. Must be busy making more money I guess!

To answer the guy worked for Chevy, the inherent problems by cylinder deactivation normally wont show up until 4~5 years or over 50K+ miles depending on how often the CD is activated. Most of time the vehicle is out of the warranty and the owner just uses independent garage to fix the problem and disable the CD. Thats why you wont see the problem often at a Chevy dealer.

Also, Mazda implements CD on a 4-cylinder which is the first in the US. Theres a reason why nobody else wants to use this technology in a 4-cylinder as the risk-vs-reward may not make any sense.

Again we've had cylinder deactivation here in cars (GM) from 2007-2010ish and no widespread reports of issues. Doesn't mean it doesn't/won't happen but...

it's not always doom and gloom.

Check the internet. GM's AFM problems are widespread. Lots of issues with misfiring and high oil consumption. They also recalled 370k vehicles in the US a few years ago due to a fire risk from AFM. And they are right now in a class action lawsuit.

Check the internet. GM's AFM problems are widespread. Lots of issues with misfiring and high oil consumption. They also recalled 370k vehicles in the US a few years ago due to a fire risk from AFM. And they are right now in a class action lawsuit.

My experience with it was that it was flawless, in my Jeep. I hate complexity and all that, but honestly, I'd prefer my 2015 have it than not have it, if I had a magic wand.

You’re judging it without giving it chance. It’s 2018 and maybe, just maybe it will have been developed better than thos older models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back