CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Statement or question?

The regens are much shorter so the chances of interrupting one is reduced but they have changed the phasing of the injection to stop fuel pooling and sticking to the cylinders. They have included countermeasures to address dilution but in my case, which is a good mix of duty, it always seems to regenerate soon after reaching normal temperature unlike the 2016.5 which did it any time.
Statement. Reading forums here, no issues reported on 2017 diesel

Last edited:
The Honda boards are filled with people coming up with ways to de-activate the system and lots of reports of excessive oil use and worn rings. I believe Honda had a class action lawsuit and now covers those engines up to 120K miles. But a lot of those cars were from 2011-2012 and actually showed up early (before 70K miles). Not any many problems with the cars from 2014 on. What is looks like is that if you have fouled spark plugs and excessive oil use early, you are in trouble. Personally, I am thinking of installing the VCM muzzler on our Odyssey.
AFAIK no issues with Honda's one here either. Was used on the V6, dropping it to a V4

Last edited:
Thanks Anchorman

Mazdas cylinder deactivation system is just like any other CD systems implemented. The only difference is GMs V8 is an OHV design, the actuators within hydraulic lifter or lash adjuster are located down. Hondas OHC V6 VCM system will look very similar to Mazdas CD system.

I agree with Red MC on CD. And however the ring sealing has been improved on diesel, the rings for SA-G are still working under a totally different situation and environment. The huge temperature swing constantly in those activating and deactivating outer cylinders will be big challenge on longevity for cylinders and rings; so as the valve train.

Youre ignoring the fact that the 2.5G with cylinder deactivation has a special valve that diverts coolant to equalise the temperatures. This is another subject where Im getting weary of treading the same ground. I think Ill sit tight and wait to see if the forum is inundated with tales of woe in a couple of years - or not!

Mazda’s cylinder deactivation system is just like any other CD systems implemented. The only difference is GM’s V8 is an OHV design, the actuators within hydraulic lifter or lash adjuster are located down. Honda’s OHC V6 VCM system will look very similar to Mazda’s CD system.

I agree with Red MC on CD. And however the ring sealing has been improved on diesel, the rings for SA-G are still working under a totally different situation and environment. The huge temperature swing constantly in those activating and deactivating outer cylinders will be big challenge on longevity for cylinders and rings; so as the valve train.

The 2017 gasoline engines have new rings too. I see where the previous reference was to the diesel version but the SkyActiv gas engine has totally new rings for 2017.

3XyBsJG.jpg

Who knows? Maybe Mazda has found the secret of cylinder deactivation that shuts down all cylinders? No wonder Toyota jumped on the alliance proposal.

SkyActiv-Z.
(lol2)
SkyActiv-ZZZZZZZZZZ (sleep)

Who knows? Maybe Mazda has found the secret of cylinder deactivation that shuts down all cylinders? No wonder Toyota jumped on the alliance proposal.
SkyActiv-Z.

The v-tec engine just turned over its grave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zac...2lz4lz0m53nwrbpvcw3lw03c010c.1517857923093715
murky
1 week ago
How does Mazda avoid the oil burning and reliability problems experienced by cylinder deactivating engines of other manufacturers? Is it worth expense and complexity when the increase in rated fuel economy is negligible? Has Mazda addressed either of these questions somewhere?

MazdaCanada
Highlighted reply
MazdaCanada
2 hours ago
Mazda’s PCV and lubrication systems enable us to take advantage of the reduced fuel consumption afforded by cylinder deactivation technology without increasing oil consumption. Looking at our long term strategy of improving the internal combustion engine, we think it is very much worth the effort.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like Mazda plans to make heavy use of cylinder deactivation in the future, and are phasing it in on this engine that has a mature and stable design, instead of just throwing it into the mix on their newer engines with all of the other concurrent innovation.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zac...2lz4lz0m53nwrbpvcw3lw03c010c.1517857923093715
murky
1 week ago
How does Mazda avoid the oil burning and reliability problems experienced by cylinder deactivating engines of other manufacturers? Is it worth expense and complexity when the increase in rated fuel economy is negligible? Has Mazda addressed either of these questions somewhere?

MazdaCanada
Highlighted reply
MazdaCanada
2 hours ago
Mazdas PCV and lubrication systems enable us to take advantage of the reduced fuel consumption afforded by cylinder deactivation technology without increasing oil consumption. Looking at our long term strategy of improving the internal combustion engine, we think it is very much worth the effort.

If I'm reading between the lines correctly, it sounds like Mazda plans to make heavy use of cylinder deactivation in the future, and are phasing it in on this engine that has a mature and stable design, instead of just throwing it into the mix on their newer engines with all of the other concurrent innovation.
Still dont see anything special by Mazda to handle inherent cylinder deactivation issues.

yrwei52, at least they've acknowledged that they considered oil consumption and claim they aren't susceptible to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back