CX-5 Cylinder deactivation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your jeep had/has cylinder deactivation (uhm)

Yes. Loved it. Noone in the passenger seat ever felt it kick on or off, even driving I could BARELY FEEL A HINT OF IT, and only sometimes. The ECO button on the dash is how I knew, and my mpg would jump up 1 or 2. It saved me some fuel for sure on road trips. Running only on 4 cylinders doing 75-80 I would get 18-20mpg, usually a hair over 18, sometimes around 19 averaged on long trips. It's part of why I am constantly kicking around the idea of going back to a JEEP. I can get a 5/100K factory warranty (comes standard), AND for a few thousand, I can get a lifetime bumper to bumper unlimited mileage warranty, which would absolutely rock, and completely mitigate Chrysler/FIAT quality concerns for me. The new Jeeps with the HEMI's are getting 22mpg on the highway, and my CX5 gets around 24-29 on the highway, depending on which way the wind blows (literally that much variance due to the wind). It's coming very close to pushing me back into a Jeep because of how nice they are and how much more capable they are.

Yes. Loved it. Noone in the passenger seat ever felt it kick on or off, even driving I could BARELY FEEL A HINT OF IT, and only sometimes. The ECO button on the dash is how I knew, and my mpg would jump up 1 or 2. It saved me some fuel for sure on road trips. Running only on 4 cylinders doing 75-80 I would get 18-20mpg, usually a hair over 18, sometimes around 19 averaged on long trips. It's part of why I am constantly kicking around the idea of going back to a JEEP. I can get a 5/100K factory warranty (comes standard), AND for a few thousand, I can get a lifetime bumper to bumper unlimited mileage warranty, which would absolutely rock, and completely mitigate Chrysler/FIAT quality concerns for me. The new Jeeps with the HEMI's are getting 22mpg on the highway, and my CX5 gets around 24-29 on the highway, depending on which way the wind blows (literally that much variance due to the wind). It's coming very close to pushing me back into a Jeep because of how nice they are and how much more capable they are.
Thanks for the feedback. Would you consider a CX-5 with cylinder deactivation putting aside engine performance and looking at improved fuel economy (uhm)

I don't see how a 6 cyl can be compared to 4.

Using it on 6 or more cyl has always been sensible to save fuel, but not on a 4.

The sooner we are driving all electric cars the better, far less to go wrong, these modern engines are getting too complicated now and diesels especially are making less sense with all the emission controls they are hampered with.

Diesel sales in the UK have dropped 25% its been announced today.

Nothing to do with that.
Diesels being charge more to enter London and government turn around due to the nasty emissions from diesel engines are partly responsible.
In the UK Vag cars are still exceptionally well thought of, as is any German car.

That's because of all legacy issues surrounding VW dieselgate etc

Nothing to do with that.
Diesels being charge more to enter London and government turn around due to the nasty emissions from diesel engines are partly responsible.
In the UK Vag cars are still exceptionally well thought of, as is any German car.

Yours is true but I still believe dieselgate will be having an impact

I decided on getting the 2017 instead of a 2018 due to the CD. I have heard and seen many issues with CD with other automakers and this leaves me uneasy about CD.

It's quite possible that Mazda will have no problems with the tech but I would rather not be the guinea pig. If 3 years from now, no problems arise, I will be assured it's a solid tech.

Yours is true but I still believe dieselgate will be having an impact

Dieselgate never bothered me, and I'm sure not many in the UK were, certainly hasn't prevented huge sales of VAG products, which still get glowing reports in the mags, and any towing tests.

I decided on getting the 2017 instead of a 2018 due to the CD. I have heard and seen many issues with CD with other automakers and this leaves me uneasy about CD.

It's quite possible that Mazda will have no problems with the tech but I would rather not be the guinea pig. If 3 years from now, no problems arise, I will be assured it's a solid tech.

Agree with the sentiment. It could be entirely true that Mazda had figured out a viable solution to not repeat the disaster GM and Honda went through. But why put it on their high volume seller? CX-5 brings home the big buck now and Mazda simply cannot afford to screw it up. CD does not have a solid track record and it understandably raises concerns... Why not try it on some other vehicle?

Agree with the sentiment. It could be entirely true that Mazda had figured out a viable solution to not repeat the disaster GM and Honda went through. But why put it on their high volume seller? CX-5 brings home the big buck now and Mazda simply cannot afford to screw it up. CD does not have a solid track record and it understandably raises concerns... Why not try it on some other vehicle?

You think they didn’t test it?

You think they didnt test it?

They tested it but not long term. In other words, 40,000 miles later, will CD cause issues like it did on other engines? Hopefully not but there's no way Mazda did a 40,000 mile test mule run on the CD.

They tested it but not long term. In other words, 40,000 miles later, will CD cause issues like it did on other engines? Hopefully not but there's no way Mazda did a 40,000 mile test mule run on the CD.

Then again maybe they did? They can run engines for many hours and also have test vehicles that are used in everyday environment just for these reasons.

Dieselgate never bothered me, and I'm sure not many in the UK were, certainly hasn't prevented huge sales of VAG products, which still get glowing reports in the mags, and any towing tests.

Dieselgate didn't have much of an impact here considering VW denied it was an issue here. The rukus died down soon after

How do you know (uhm). Normally they test cars over thousands kilometres (miles) and there is no reason to not think Mazda didn't do the same for cylinder deactivation 2.5L

How do you know (uhm). Normally they test cars over thousands kilometres (miles) and there is no reason to not think Mazda didn't do the same for cylinder deactivation 2.5L

I agree. If they test an engine at RPMs simulating 60 mph, that's 1440 simulated miles in a day, 43,200 miles in just one month. Easy.

In fact, it's inconceivable that they wouldn't test the piss out of it.

Absolutely, of course they tested it. I can’t believe the level of misconception about vehicle testing that goes on.

When a manufacturer introduces a product they are driven by several factors. Sometimes costs and sometimes necessity (legislation). I doubt there are any cost savings but it will help them meet the legal requirements for emissions. A knock improvement in fuel economy will appeal to buyers and help stay abreast of the competition. They have to assess the risk as well. Failure of the level the pundits predict here would outweigh any benefit and they don’t need the advice of a fella down the pub. They will run engines to destruction on banks of dynamometers - engines that are embedded with dozens of sensors and they can measure the possibility of sticking piston rings and valve damage or whatever else the others have failed at. They run these engines under so much load that the exhaust manifold and the first yard of exhaust glow orange, they can make the dyno run the engine as it would in overrun - this is the prime condition for sucking oil into the upper cylinder via piston rings or valve stems. Once they have done their level best to break them under test conditions, they put them into cars and try again. They freeze them in the arctic and cook them in the desert. They will run them in the most abusive conditions in overloaded cars. They can do it on cars that are out validating brakes and suspension etc and there might be 40 cars out on durability. If there is a risk they need to understand it.

Then somebody suggests that they failed to fulfill 40k on one car. It really is a complete lack of understanding of how these things are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back