City Lights Mod

:
2002 MP5-T
I took my headlights out the other day to repaint them a semi-gloss black from the original flat black that I had originally painted them. So I did something that I always wanted to do.

Has any one ever noticed the circle on the back of our headlights towards the top, on the high beam side? If you look close there is the marks for what appears like a bulb holder. So I decided that I was gonna Dremel that out and put in city lights!

I used some extra sockets that I had saved off of an Accord that I scrapped out. I'm gonna get some bluish bulbs to match the others soon.

For the wiring, I just tied into the parking light right below. I also disconnected the parking part of the turn signal, so that it only flashes with the turn signal.

1. Remove the front bumper

-Remove the 3 plastic push locks in the fenders
-Remove the 1 push lock and 2 screws under the bumper in front of the fender on each side
-Remove the 2 screws along the bottom of the bumper holding it to the core support
-Disconnect any wires going to your fog lights if you have them
-Remove the 2 screws and the push locks holding in the grill and remove the grill
-Gently pull out the bumper under the side of the headlight.
-Bumper should come off now​
2. Remove both headlights

-Should be 1 screw on top and one on each side I believe​
3. Remove everything you can from headlights

-All the rings, screws, brackets, clips everything you can get off.
-Don’t forget the little screws that hold the clear cover on​
4. Put lights in one at a time into oven preheated to 250 for about 8-10 minutes
5. Carefully pull light apart removing the clear cover

-Don’t get any of the grey glue on the clear lens or your screwed. It’s a PITA to get off
-Let the lights cool off so they are easier to work with.​

*At this point if you’re going to paint the housing black, I would do it now so it can be drying while you are doing the other work.
I also recommend smoking the back of the turn signal lens. That turned out sweet with the black headlights

6. Find the exact center of that circle on back
7. Drill a 1/8" hole with the sharpest bit you can get, all the way through the reflector

-Drill it as straight as you can. The bit will want to walk to the side since the reflector is curved.​
8. I then used a UniBit (Step Bit) to drill the plastic out to the 9/16" (That’s the size of the circle part of my bulb holder. Just measure yours to know what to drill to)
9. Then using a Dremel, cut out the little slots to the sides of the hole to match your socket.
10. Now CAREFULLY Dremel out the reflector. Go slow and keep checking it by sticking your bulb and socket from the back.

-If you get to aggressive you will chip out your chrome. If it chips a little don’t worry, It’s so hard to look up into your light to see the bulb that no one will ever notice.​
11. It will end up being an oval to the left and right since the bulb is coming through reflector is at an angle to it.
12. Put cover back on light, then bake another 8-10 minutes to melt glue back together

-After you pull it out of oven push it together really good, and put clips and screws back in while its still warm​
13. Reassemble everything back into the light
14. Put lights back in car
15. Put bumper back on
13. Now wire it to the turn signal light below it. (Or wherever you want)

-The wire you need to tie into is the black for the ground, just tap into it, don’t cut it.
-The other wire is Green with black. I clipped it off about 1” from the socket. I then added to that wire to make it even with the black one, and attached those to female spade connectors. Those fit perfectly into the Honda bulb holders I used.​

Here are the pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Thanks, i always liked how it looks on jags, and what not. The 6's have it stock. Ours have the place for it, but its not there. Wonder if the JDM ones have them in?

It's the same idea as the not-as-bright daytime running lights on certain cars. (Chevys, my GF's Accord lol) At least it appears to be?

Last edited:
Oh that's pretty neat, I've never heard of this before, can someone post up a picture of an accord or a chevy with these on as posted before. This mod sounds sick

I'm actually thinking about this now, this was a while back. I saw a p5 parked at a store i was at. It was completely modded. The headlights were flashing green for the alarm system I guess? I guess they could've been put in the same spot as kyle's protege5 did but hooked up to the alarm system?

I'm actually thinking about this now, this was a while back. I saw a p5 parked at a store i was at. It was completely modded. The headlights were flashing green for the alarm system I guess? I guess they could've been put in the same spot as kyle's protege5 did but hooked up to the alarm system?
prolly some lame ass strobes. not city lights. this is cooler.
Hrmmm. Maybe it wasn't what I was thinking...

it's exactly what i said:) good stuff

They seemed cool at the time lol they just sound dumb now.
And can you confirm that the pictures that I posted are the ones what this post is about?

Alright cool, I'm down for this mod
All I gotta do is dremel a hole and plug the light in? How am I wiring this light and what size bulb?

Alright cool, I'm down for this mod
All I gotta do is dremel a hole and plug the light in? How am I wiring this light and what size bulb?

..that's something this dude will have to tell you. but in all reality.. you COULD just dremel a totally new hole and pick your own size bulb/socket and wire it to i suppose a switched power. or constant, depending on if you wanted it on all the time, or just when you feel like it

for me, if i had fogs, i would have the fogs and city lights on at the same time with the running lights.

Back