City Lights Mod

That's exactly what i've been thinking. I deleted my side markers a while ago,but the wires are still there. My buddy has a VW with city lights and I always wanted to copy the design. I was going to drill a hole at the bottom of the hi-beam housing and use a grommet to hold the light in place. Since it would turn on with the parking lights, all the hard work of wiring is done.

The thing is, would the lights reach there you think?

Or a simple splicing will work. Just make sure you use heat shrink tape and use a wire insulator tube.

Or a simple splicing will work. Just make sure you use heat shrink tape and use a wire insulator tube.

Ya thats true, i'm just a huge believer in soldering. As much wiring as i did in my car, with the emanage, all the gauges, water methanol kit, o2 clamp, all new wiring for stereo, and probably more that i cant think of, I dont ever want to have to chase down a loose wire.

And I love heat shrink too :)

Last edited:
at a quick glance it looks goo but you might want to update a picture of how you tapped into the lights and what not. I'll go back and read it when im not so busy at work.

Good idea, i will try to get some.

If i would have thought of it, i could have taken pics when i was doing it.

Doesn't drilling straight into the housing and reflector without creating some kind of seal seem like asking for a moisture build-up problem?

Doesn't drilling straight into the housing and reflector without creating some kind of seal seem like asking for a moisture build-up problem?

There is s seal on the socket that i used. Rremember, the lights are not sealed, there is 2 vents tubes on the back of them. But yes i would recommend using a seal like i did.
picture.php

Last edited:
Not yet. I'm also deciding if I want to black out my lights at the same time or just leave them chrome.

lol this mod is stock on our Australian lights, probably what that cutout is for. We use that as our parker lights and the circle light below it is our indicator :p

Back