City Lights Mod

But where do the lights come though so that the light reflects? Do you dremel though the relectors too?
And I'm just gunna take a random guess. If I do this and make my lights red, I can probably get a ticket for it, correct?

But where do the lights come though so that the light reflects? Do you dremel though the relectors too?
And I'm just gunna take a random guess. If I do this and make my lights red, I can probably get a ticket for it, correct?

meh. maybe, maybe not. depends on the cop. some dont really care.

yes through the reflector i believe. or above it so the light reflects ON it.

Ok, so lemme get this straight.
Basically dremel though the housing and through the reflector get a bulb that fits the hole that I dremeled. Then wire it all together. Like you were saying before hook up my daytime running lights, fogs, and these city lights. So basically I can turn the light nob once and it'll all turn on.

Ok, now how am I holding this bulb steady?

Ok, so lemme get this straight.
Basically dremel though the housing and through the reflector get a bulb that fits the hole that I dremeled. Then wire it all together. Like you were saying before hook up my daytime running lights, fogs, and these city lights. So basically I can turn the light nob once and it'll all turn on.

Ok, now how am I holding this bulb steady?

correct.

your hole should fit the socket you drill.

Ok, well basically here's the idea that me and my friend just came up with. Basically splice the side marker light. So that the light comes on with the one turn of the nob, but it doesn't flash with the turn signals, so I'm not asking for trouble. And then add a 2nd switch the turn the side markers/city lights off just so I have that ability.

Another problem that I came up with. Was if you dremel though the highbeams couldn't the chrome coating chip?

Actually...I could just say **** the side marker lights, take those out replace them with red bulbs and runt hat straight to the lights

This is cool mod. I think if I ever did it I would just run it independent of all other lighting where they'd be on with whatever other combo of lights or even without any other lights.

im gonna update the first post with some more tips on how to do it.

Also by clipping the wire feeding the parking/turn signal, and using it to feed the city light, means that its on through all the positions. And if you do the fog light mod, you can have just the city light and your driving on if you want, which is how i drive most of the time.

Another thing i did was to shave off the fender and bumper turn signals, so i only have the city in the front as a parking light, and then the turn lights up its bright filament for a turn signal.

I have no side turn signals in the front, but o'well, hasn't been a problem in almost 7 years!

Last edited:
i would love better/more pics and a walk through. looks like a cool mod! i'd also be interested in trying to figure out how i could get my fogs to come on with my parking lights instead of with my headlights. then i could drive with the city lights and fogs... should still be bright enough to see the road as well as not get pulled over.

its not a new mod... a few people has alreay done it on this board..

Edit: This was on a pair of used headlights I had purchased. 2 other people had done this on the boards.
DSCF1458.jpg

DSCF1459.jpg

Last edited:
i would love better/more pics and a walk through. looks like a cool mod! i'd also be interested in trying to figure out how i could get my fogs to come on with my parking lights instead of with my headlights. then i could drive with the city lights and fogs... should still be bright enough to see the road as well as not get pulled over.

Just search for that, there is a how to on it. It does look cool with just the fogs and city lights

Actually...I could just say **** the side marker lights, take those out replace them with red bulbs and runt hat straight to the lights

That's exactly what i've been thinking. I deleted my side markers a while ago,but the wires are still there. My buddy has a VW with city lights and I always wanted to copy the design. I was going to drill a hole at the bottom of the hi-beam housing and use a grommet to hold the light in place. Since it would turn on with the parking lights, all the hard work of wiring is done.

Back