Chris_Top_Her Build Thread 2

Yea, my oil base has lasted a long time from the initial coating, through pressure washers, thunderstorms etc.. I'd be interested in those if they are the same size as the existing lettering.

I don't have my car atm, but I think it's these bolts. the torque are in 3 different systems.
xoXx3k2.png

New car, new build thread - Sep 20 2014

Interior
- Chinese OBDII HUD

Nice build thread. Curious if you got around to mounting the HUD, and what you think of it? There are quite a few universal HUD's on Ebay & Amazon, but they all look pretty cheap. How's it holding up for you? I'd love to see one that is bluetooth compatible so you don't need to see the wires hanging there.
Also with the OVtune, did you have the car dyno'd before/after to see if/where the gains were? I was reading through the website the other night, and this seems like a good way to flash the ECU (if the gains are worth it).

I didn't mount it; it just sits on a antislip pad on the dash. The old one I had melted but this one is doing fine. I haven't had mine dyno'd, but here is recent dyno from someone else on a stock cx-5 using 90 octane. Big torque increase, on a AWD stock cx-5. The non AWD and the 3/6 get bigger improvements because of less transmission loss. I recently got a file and I also have an SRI and catback so I'm sure I'm making more on the mid- top end (e.g passing rpms) than this dyno. I would expect my curve to be comparatively reverse of this.
10982365_1049039185121325_5080844530270505868_n.jpg

11750654_1049039181787992_4204125314400327918_n.jpg

Last edited:
Those are actually really good numbers for an ECU flash, but what worries me is the stock power/torque (According to the spec sheets I can find) is supposed to be 184/185. The std. maps on those charts show 193/241? Which makes me think that dyno was a bit optimistic. That or the standard run was done with other mod's not listed?

Ahh, either way, cool build. Keep it going. (lol2)

Those are actually really good numbers for an ECU flash, but what worries me is the stock power/torque (According to the spec sheets I can find) is supposed to be 184/185. The std. maps on those charts show 193/241? Which makes me think that dyno was a bit optimistic. That or the standard run was done with other mod's not listed?

Ahh, either way, cool build. Keep it going. (lol2)

Could not be a corrected reading. Also all brands of dynos tend to read slightly different. Some higher than others.

On a side note, I'm actually pretty impressed with the baseline curve. It's got a nice linear progression, especially for a stock map. Usually a factory tune will have a couple of "hiccups" and not look nearly as nice.

Well keep in mind that the published of 185hp/tq is not wheel horse power; it's crank horsepower. The actual numbers are lower.. then even lower on the AWD. Also, the torque on that dyno is listed in Nm not ft.lb. Since the dyno is listed a BHP, I can assume that a correction factor is there to account for drivetrain loss. Regardless of how off or correct the correction is (if one was used), the run's themselves were done on the same settings except for the tune.

Last edited:
That explains a lot, I didn't get that this was from an engine dyno. Either way, impressive gains for "only" a flash.

No, it's not from an engine dyno - it purports to be measuring wheel HP and the graphs posted are laughable at best.

This type of dyno cannot directly measure engine HP or torque, it can only approximate it. And the dyno operator can make it say whatever he wants it to say because the resulting numbers are based upon a whole host of assumptions supplied by the operator. In the hands of an honest technician, a dyno can be useful to compare pre-mod/post mod gains or losses. In the hands of a snake oil salesman, the dyno will show incredible gains from any mods they market. And I mean incredible!

Please do not fall for it when they tell you the dyno is scientific and the supplied results never lie.

No, it's not from an engine dyno - it purports to be measuring wheel HP and the graphs posted are laughable at best.

This type of dyno cannot directly measure engine HP or torque, it can only approximate it. And the dyno operator can make it say whatever he wants it to say because the resulting numbers are based upon a whole host of assumptions supplied by the operator. In the hands of an honest technician, a dyno can be useful to compare pre-mod/post mod gains or losses. In the hands of a snake oil salesman, the dyno will show incredible gains from any mods they market. And I mean incredible!

Please do not fall for it when they tell you the dyno is scientific and the supplied results never lie.

But the power curve is labelled B.H.P., by definition that can only be measured on an engine dyno correct? Since the definition of BHP is the calculated power of the motor with nothing else attached.

See here ---> http://www.differencebetween.net/technology/difference-between-hp-and-bhp/

I guess the only thing that matters is that the two curves were measured in the same way, and the net gain between them is accurate. Even if my car is only putting down 160HP to the wheels 8hp from a flash is a good return on investment I think.

(dunno)

What reason would an independent dyno have to skew graphs when a customer comes in to compare roms he or she is running?? When you go to a dyno they are taking a measurement thats it doesnt matter what the outcome is, you pay for a certain number of runs and they test what you want. When I dynod my first cx5 2.0 awd it was like 112whp. I didnt have anything to compare it to; in hindsight it was a wasted $100. This isn't the only dyno from an owner either. Obviously dyno operators in different states and countries are all bsing when similiar graph of a similiar tune is produced .(dunno) It's whatever though. Of course the dyno readout varies based on what paremeters are set, correction values etc.. but I'm interested in the difference of the plot more than the # itself. Noone ever said the dyno was scientific or exact. Even when I had mine dynod I was told upfront it isnt exact. Dyno operators and users know this. Dyno operators arent paid based on what number they produce.

Last edited:
Negative nancy strikes again... with random implications that nobody attests to.

That dyno chart is impressive.

Your car is nice as well. I would love to do some the things you have done to yours.

Back