Chris_Top_Her CX-5 Build Thread

I'm about to get some wheel spacers, looking at 25mm-35mm. I've never banged a stud before (lel). It appears all I have to do is put a nut on it, bang the nut with a mallet (all 5) take the brake disc off and put new studs in. I am unsure about getting the new studs tight though.

Last edited:
Well, I've decided to forgo the spacers. Haven't really had tome to install the RSB. I did order a JBR drop in dry flow filter. It's getting hot and I'm getting my engine tuned so I want to have lower intake temps. Not interested in buying/building a box for my SRI. I'll be able to compare the sound and rev response compared to the C/S SRI so this should be interesting.

Installed my C/S Rear sway bar. Noticed an immediate difference well worth the $$$. Originally C/S only had FWD instructions; but it was not specified. After I was about to return it (and dealer trying to charge 195 labor for fwd and 560 for awd) they put up some AWD instructions. The service manual call for a lot of extra disassembly compared to the C/S instructions. I was a bit weary of this at first but after installing it I can say they are safe and practical instructions.One thing though; the instructions say to loosen the bolts on the control arms to the end of the bolt (not to remove it); I food it basically impossible to get the sway bar bracket off; I could barely even get a ratched over the nut and didn't have enough room to turn it. Removing the bolts completely gave me ample room, even enough to get a torque wrench in there. It took me 5 hours but that was the first time I had messed with suspension like that and I ran into some issues (like the one aforementioned), including getting a socket stuck on a wheel lug because I grabbed one too large on accident. The stock endlinks are not straight. I guess this is the preload; I don't know enough o know if the angle is more than it should be. However even if the preload is more than what some would recommend, it still is a huge improvement over stock.

Nice work.
In the next couple of months I will go through all this and more myself.
I have the C/S springs already. I'm waiting on the adjustable control arms to be released and then I will buy the RSB myself.
Only then I will install all these, I want to do only one alignment.
Until then, I'm installing the audio part.

If anyone would be interested in buying a JBR drop in filter; I used it for about 25mi to decide if I wanted to use my SRi or the drop for my engine tuning. I chose the sri because I love the sound, although it does hold slightly higher intake temperatures. Let me know, I can make a sale thread or post it on ebay. item here http://www.jamesbaroneracing.com/sho...roducts_id=594

Last edited:
good work mate.. RSB !

Great work, I hope your loving it ... I am impressed with how agile the cx5 is becoming with each mod I do , I have the autoexe tierods, front stabilizer links and mazda 6 front sway bar +bushes and also the JBR rear camber arms to fit soon, should really make the car a treat in corners

When do you think, that you will be able to confirm those camber arms, if they fit or not? You are testing these for JBR?

I almost pulled the trigger on the springs but held out for now. The main thing I'm currently worried about is ground clearance because I like to drive on the beach here in FL. I'll probably complete the rest of my plans first, then buy the springs after I get a beater 4x4 I can drive on the beach.

Chris, I'm new to this forum and I must say, your car looks incredible. Good job!

Chris, I'm new to this forum and I must say, your car looks incredible. Good job!
thanks. the suspension mods have been performing very well and reliably. I am pushing 40k (over 40k on odo) on the H&R, OEM struts no issues.

After some hiccups with the software not logging skyactiv correctly I am starting to have file exchanges. For now basic things like fuel trim is being adjusted. My first file was sluggish because I didn't mention my intake.

Did you use the stock CX5 end links with the Corksport RSB? What kind of camber did you end up with after the spring install? The wife says ours has too much wheel gap so I told her I will get lowering springs and since it will be apart I'd like to do the rear sway bar as well.

Chris, what are you talking about?
sorry I was talking about my engine tune. He's having a bit of trouble defining the fuel tables as they are a lot different than the sky mazda 3 tables. I'm actually trying to make some time to drop my car off to him (only 20 mi away) so that I can get it solved quickly. I think I'm the only CX-5 gas customer he has, but I'm pretty confident of results once the fuel table is sorted out (which I guess, I'm the base car for all future cx-5 2.0 gas skyactive tunes). People on the mazda3 forum are getting good results from their 3's tunes that aren't even complete yet. Dynotronics (Joe, tunes Mazdaspeed race cars) and OVTune (Matt, custom built engine and turbocharged/tunes his mazda3 2.5) are tuning sky's now.

Did you use the stock CX5 end links with the Corksport RSB? What kind of camber did you end up with after the spring install? The wife says ours has too much wheel gap so I told her I will get lowering springs and since it will be apart I'd like to do the rear sway bar as well.

The sway bar didn't really affect the camber. It is non adjustable (link at the bottom of my sig for a possible solution..). Stock end links are working fine. Just make sure the bar is greased extremely well before you install it or you will be doing the job again (creaking). I've been running H&R for over 40000mi with no blown strut or broken suspension parts; the drop is slightly less than the Corksport and in my opinion is a better stance especially if you have 20" or larger wheels. The shape of the wheel wheels is an elongated half circle.. I think having it too low actually looks silly. Also, With my current set up, the stock suspension seems to be handling it well, and the preload on the stock endlink with the C/S sway bar is acceptable (it might be greater with the Corksport springs since they are lower, and camber will be even more off. I think it's silly for corksport to offer lowering springs, a sway bar, but no adjustable end links (not such a big deal in this case) nor adjustable camber arms (a useful part in this situation). I like Corksport but IMO go with H&R springs. The sway bar is sweet, highly recommended. Might wanna update your sig/avatar with your CX-5 too :).

So you have no camber issues after the H&R spring install?

It's not adjustable, but personally it's not an issue that is causing a real problem. However if camber arms were available I would buy them.

Apparently dynotronics just bought a 2014 cx-5 so I won't be dropping mine off

Back