air filter direct to turbo

byohndspeed said:
get 10 cars from where? i live in crapville. no big deal i will pay for it. i want it done anyway.. i will kepp everyone updated..
Williamsport has to have an import scene...they dont all need to be Mazdas...

Anyways, by chance, you know a girl named Erica that went to Millersville from your town?

actually they gained peak of 5-6 and max gains of about 17hp. Granted this was with a FMIC, but still.

Weird Ive got a FMIC and I sure as hell aint getting no 17HP gain with a AEM CAI. Can anyone else confirm these claims?

ok im gonna do my own test on the dyno when the afc gets here, 1 run stock box, 1 run SRI one run CAI without changing anything else. I hope I see HP gains as good as the ones claimed by turbo mag, but my ass dyno tells me im SOL. there numbers just seem a bit optimistic for me but i guess we will soon see.

jeffmsp said:
ok im gonna do my own test on the dyno when the afc gets here, 1 run stock box, 1 run SRI one run CAI without changing anything else. I hope I see HP gains as good as the ones claimed by turbo mag, but my ass dyno tells me im SOL. there numbers just seem a bit optimistic for me but i guess we will soon see.
Sounds good, keep everyone posted.

Spooled said:
Amen, brother Brad.
Thanks man...I love when s*** can be broken down to numbers like that, I guess i am a nerd @ heart, lol. I just wish I had the database of usless equations in my head!

BradC said:
Thanks man...I love when s*** can be broken down to numbers like that, I guess i am a nerd @ heart, lol. I just wish I had the database of usless equations in my head!

Yeah, no kidding. But then again, that's what the Internet is for. Could yo imagine where we would be with these cars if there wasn't this sort of sharing of information? I don't even want to think about it.

Spooled said:
Yeah, no kidding. But then again, that's what the Internet is for. Could yo imagine where we would be with these cars if there wasn't this sort of sharing of information? I don't even want to think about it.
Tell me about it. It would be depressing.

BradC said:
Williamsport has to have an import scene...they dont all need to be Mazdas...

Anyways, by chance, you know a girl named Erica that went to Millersville from your town?

erica who? i know a few erica's. as for an import scene..i guess if you call a bunch of cavaliers with big nasty mufflers and clear tail lights an import scene sure..

byohndspeed said:
erica who? i know a few erica's. as for an import scene..i guess if you call a bunch of cavaliers with big nasty mufflers and clear tail lights an import scene sure..
lol, watch em all dyno with their humungo-powaz

Erica...umm...thats the problem, we used to (stoned) alot together.

She is REALLY tall (like 6')

byohndspeed said:
how old? from williamsport or just around this area?
she lived there, would have grad HS in 99.

No, i am not from there, just knew this girl that was ;)

nah, not who i was thinkin.. i'm not really from this area but about 15 minutes away. but i use to hang out up here all the time. i graduated in 96.. so i dont think i would have known here.

I don't like the logic of the airfilter on the turbo idea. Yea, people making big power with turbo engines typically have the airfilter directly on the turbo. They probably don't have their turbo squeezed between an exhaust mainfold and 2 radiator fans blowing out hot air. I don't see how an airfilter feeding 200 degree air in your turbo would be chosen over 2' piping and a filter feeding 60 degree(or whatever the temp outside is) air. I sure what little flow thats lost from the piping is made up by 140 degrees colder air

ZenProtege said:
I don't like the logic of the airfilter on the turbo idea. Yea, people making big power with turbo engines typically have the airfilter directly on the turbo. They probably don't have their turbo squeezed between an exhaust mainfold and 2 radiator fans blowing out hot air. I don't see how an airfilter feeding 200 degree air in your turbo would be chosen over 2' piping and a filter feeding 60 degree(or whatever the temp outside is) air. I sure what little flow thats lost from the piping is made up by 140 degrees colder air

my friend with an si was making about 540 to the wheels on an open turbo and his s*** was much tighter than our engine bay... although he never got a chance to dyno it with an intake his ass dyno said it ran harder w.o. the intake

Your deviating from the arument with your point. I asked myself:
What is gained from having a filter directly on the turbo? Will doing that outweigh the advantage of putting a few feet of piping between the filter/turbo and sucking in much colder air?
which has the best advantage/disavantage

I think Spooled did the math in an earlier post for what is gained or lost from Air Temp.

ZenProtege said:
Your deviating from the arument with your point. I asked myself:
What is gained from having a filter directly on the turbo? Will doing that outweigh the advantage of putting a few feet of piping between the filter/turbo and sucking in much colder air?
which has the best advantage/disavantage

I think Spooled did the math in an earlier post for what is gained or lost from Air Temp.
Everything's hypothetical til we have actual results, i.e. dyno sheets.

its pretty cold here, dont think im gonna be hitting a dyno anytime soon. I dont even drive with a boost controller on, there is ice on all the roads lol

Back