air filter direct to turbo

byohndspeed

Contributor
ok i will be running my maf on the cold side by the throttle body. i have an air filter (k&n) that will fit directly to the turbo. i have seen this before on other turbo's. is there any gain?i would think that it would help the spool up time. i will be running the highboost fmic. 3" from the s-pipe back and 8psi.

i know about the hot air, but shouldnt be anymore than a sri. i would think the short air path to the turbo would outweigh any side affects. i will find a pic of the filter and post it.

this is the filter i have

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 123
who cares about the hot air, the reason a CAI is a benefit is because of its increased diameter over the stock intake and box and the IAT sensor reads colder air. Just dont put your IAT by the turbo and the hot air wont matter, its gets alot hotter regardless of its temp before the turbo once its been compressed.

Howare you going to moun the IAT sensor on the hot side? You will have to make sure that it's in there tight enough to hold pressure and not leak. Just somehting to keep in mind. Once you do it, post pics for everyone!

i have thought about that for sometime now. i have it all figured out. it will take me an hour or so on the lathe but i have it all worked out. it will basically be a hollow bolt that has a nut with a washer on that back and compress the sensor in between. make any sence?

jeffmsp said:
who cares about the hot air, the reason a CAI is a benefit is because of its increased diameter over the stock intake and box and the IAT sensor reads colder air. Just dont put your IAT by the turbo and the hot air wont matter, its gets alot hotter regardless of its temp before the turbo once its been compressed.
No, the reason a CAI works is because it's a COLD air intake. Cooler air is more dense, thus contains more oxygen to burn hotter in the cylinder, creating more power. Cold air makes ALL the difference.

aaah i dont think so ;) i dont think a few degrees in intake temp is making a difference going into something that hot. ive experimented with severals CAI and SRI and no diff, i believe its the IAT that is affected by the cold air thus making more power. even if it did make a diff im thinking less than 1 HP.

Last edited:
jeffmsp said:
aaah i dont think so ;) i dont think a few degrees in intake temp is making a difference going into something that hot. ive experimented with severals CAI and SRI and no diff, i believe its the IAT that is affected by the cold air thus making more power. even if it did make a diff im thinking less than 1 HP.
Should read the math did in this months SCC. I will post it for you when I get home.

what math, i go outside put on a cai do a pull, no difference, put the sri on, do a pull, no difference ;) if there is one its miniscule and not worth buying a cai to achieve.

the cold air on the iat and decreased spool time are the noticable benefits.

10 degree F drop = +1% torque

Therefore and engine making 150 ft.lb. w/170* F intake temp would make 151.5 ft.lb. with 160* F intake temp. Now dropping the intake charge 100 degrees would be great (15 hp), but unlikely for an intake.

If the IAT read lower temps, it would cause the ECU to compensate with more fuel (to counter the denser air), and you would lose power if the intake wasn't actually supplying that denser air. What would actually benefit would be to place the IAT in a warmer area while pulling in cooler air. That would lean the mixture out slightly.

Also, 10 degree drop is still going to be a 10 degree drop after the turbo heat. It's not a percentage, it's an offset. Therefore if you had 100 degree ambient temps and your turbo heated the intake charge by 200 degrees (300 degree at the intercooler), dropping the ambient temp to 70 would result in 270 degrees at the intercooler. This not only gives a 3% increase in torque, but lessens the effect of heatsoak on the intercooler. I know it's not much, but isn't this about getting every little bit of power.

A light sprinkle may not hurt you, but a flood could kill...

1.thats asuming the air keeps it 10* cooler temp after its been compressed by a hot turbo. I dont think that is likely but I could be wrong.

2. thats weird, from my understanding the IAT advances the timing for cooler air, and retards it for warmer air. whenever i do what you described the car is noticably slower from what I believe is the retard timing. somebody else go unplug their IAT with a CAI. also makes the idle drop a bit so dont freak out.

3. who is running just a cone on their MS>?

Last edited:
like you said its not much. now, how much will you gain with no tubing and all those bends to go through? also, even though you are pulling the air from outside its still going through a warm pipe heating it up. i dont care if its steel, aluminum or whatever, it wil still heat up the air.

Latest posts

Back