A Few Surprises from US 2018 Mazda CX-5

The cars pictured/tested could be early production/demo model that does not comply with US spec. Anyone else see lighted auto close window buttons in another location?
Like I said I saw 3 2018 CX-5s - 1 GT and 2 Tourings for sale at my Mazda dealer, theres no way therere all early production or demo models. And:

I have a 2017 GT and my brother just picked up a 2018. One thing that I wish I had is illuminated 2-stage power window switches which I don't have. Wouldn't they be interchangeable? I mean, the only thing different would be the switch itself right? Plug would be the same or am I mistaken? I'm thinking of waiting a bit until people start smashing them up and then picking up switches for all 4 door from a junk yard and replacing mine. Does anyone know of these would be swappable?

Thank you!

The window sticker says POWER WINDOWS W/ONE-TOUCH UP/DOWN instead of POWER WINDOWS W/DRIVER ONE-TOUCH:

attachment.php

2DD39BD9-7400-4A18-AC18-307E158B236E.png

You guys seem to refuse to believe Mazda would offer features without telling? Is it because Mazda usually is doing the opposite, taking away features even though theyre said in the specs or brochures?

You've seen the 2018's yrwei, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt. A brochure is a piece of paper, the actual car is the actual car.

Like I said I saw 3 2018 CX-5’s - 1 GT and 2 Touring’s for sale at my Mazda dealer, there’s no way there’re all “early production” or “demo” models. And:

The window sticker says “POWER WINDOWS W/ONE-TOUCH UP/DOWN” instead of “POWER WINDOWS W/DRIVER ONE-TOUCH”:

attachment.php

View attachment 218161

You guys seem to refuse to believe Mazda would offer features without telling? Is it because Mazda usually is doing the opposite, taking away features even though they’re said in the specs or brochures?
No doubts here anymore. As I said before, it is now your mission to get Mazda North America to fix up their documents!

Mazda US is bad - really, really bad in this aspect. Either they do it on purpose or by default their Corp US office are lazy idiots. For example - I was fooled by integrated traffic in 2016. My friend got into a big problem with dealership w.r.t. HUD display over some other new Mazda car/model in mid 2017 as brochures, etc. said yes feasible in the HUD. Anyways - trust NOTHING coming out of Mazda w.r.t. their sales brochures/printed materials, etc. Trust only JP engineering - i.e. the car itself.

A good design has to be logical.

A turbo engine is logical by saving fuel with smaller engine displacement as long as the turbo charger is not in action. When you need more power it forces more air into the combustion chamber with turbo spinning. The concerns for most people are the complexity and reliability but with modern technology these 2 drawbacks can be easily overcome.

Cylinder deactivation? On its SA-G 2.5L I4 Mazda disables cylinder #2 and #3 with all valves closed while engine is running. You still need energy doing the compression for these idled cylinders. Thiss the main reason why cylinder deactivation cant be effective on fuel efficiency like a 1.25L engine. Added the thermodynamics among the middle 2 cooled-down cylinders and the outer 2 still-active hot-working cylinders, this creates serious issue on heat imbalance of cylinders and pistons which eventually caused spark plug fouling and oil burning, even premature failing on piston rings.

In all articles released Mazda hasnt addressed these inherent issues by cylinder deactivation, but only mentioned the easiest part, engine vibration, by using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition.

Thats why Im concerned on long-term reliability with cylinder deactivation, especially the end result is only 1 MPG gain on FWD and ZERO MPG gain on AWD!

all good points...
I rather have i-stop and i-eloop which have proven reliable gains, even though they are small.. but sadly we never got them on the CX-5 here
on my 3, i-eloop has worked well... the active grille shutters helps on the highway, and the regenerative charging acts effectively as a mild engine brake without me having to downshift usually

Glad we get i-stop here. Would be better if i-eloop was also available just like it is on the 6

I’m a BMW guy. It’s all subjective about “looking good in one.”

It’s “revered” because of their consistent balance of sport and lux. BMW makes compromises where others don’t and strikes a good balance between the two.

That being said, my wife isn’t a car person and that’s where the CX-5 comes in. If I had my way, she’s driving the new X-3 and I’m driving a 540i xdrive. I love my M4 and what it provides in the “looking good in it” department. But it compromises luxury for the sake of performance. I’ll certainly miss it, but my back won’t.
PM me and let me know how you like your new X3 when it arrives. Will be picking one up for my wife around May or June this year.

A good design has to be logical.

A turbo engine is logical by saving fuel with smaller engine displacement as long as the turbo charger is not in action. When you need more power it forces more air into the combustion chamber with turbo spinning. The concerns for most people are the complexity and reliability but with modern technology these 2 drawbacks can be easily overcome.

Cylinder deactivation? On its SA-G 2.5L I4 Mazda disables cylinder #2 and #3 with all valves closed while engine is running. You still need energy doing the compression for these idled cylinders. This’s the main reason why cylinder deactivation can’t be effective on fuel efficiency like a 1.25L engine. Added the thermodynamics among the middle 2 cooled-down cylinders and the outer 2 still-active hot-working cylinders, this creates serious issue on heat imbalance of cylinders and pistons which eventually caused spark plug fouling and oil burning, even premature failing on piston rings.

In all articles released Mazda hasn’t addressed these inherent issues by cylinder deactivation, but only mentioned the easiest part, engine vibration, by using a fulcrum inside the SkyActiv-Drive transmission to help seamless transition.

That’s why I’m concerned on long-term reliability with cylinder deactivation, especially the end result is only 1 MPG gain on FWD and ZERO MPG gain on AWD!
all good points...
I rather have i-stop and i-eloop which have proven reliable gains, even though they are small.. but sadly we never got them on the CX-5 here
on my 3, i-eloop has worked well... the active grille shutters helps on the highway, and the regenerative charging acts effectively as a mild engine brake without me having to downshift usually
Your post just reminded me why can’t Mazda North American Operations implement widely-used and proven technologies such as i-stop and i-ELOOP on 2018 CX-5 to improve 1 MPG on EPA ratings? Instead we now gets cylinder deactivation with very poor reputation on reliability? Is “the Segment First with Cylinder Deactivation on a 4 Cylinder Engine” that important for Mazda or is Mazda trying too hard to be different from everybody else? It makes no sense!

Last edited:
I don’t think I would mind start stop. Yea it’s annoying sometimes like in drive through but you can disable. Who knows why i-eloop is exclusively on the 3.

I don’t think I would mind start stop. Yea it’s annoying sometimes like in drive through but you can disable. Who knows why i-eloop is exclusively on the 3.
Mazda6 has i-ELOOP regenerative engine braking system too included in GT Premium Package.

Your post just reminded me why cant Mazda North American Operations implement widely-used and proven technologies such as i-stop and i-ELOOP on 2018 CX-5 to improve 1 MPG on EPA ratings? Instead we now gets cylinder deactivation with very poor reputation on reliability? Is the Segment First with Cylinder Deactivation on a 4 Cylinder Engine that important for Mazda or is Mazda trying too hard to be different from everybody else? It makes no sense!

I think that if the US EPA MPG testing loop included more stop and go, it would be implemented here as well.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

Last edited:
I loop is available on some UK Mazda 6 cars, but not on any CX-5.

While i find stop start more of an hindrance that help.

I dont think I would mind start stop. Yea its annoying sometimes like in drive through but you can disable. Who knows why i-eloop is exclusively on the 3.

I don't want my car to shut off Everytime I stop to save a gallon of gas. I won't buy a car that does that unless it can be disabled.

Last edited:
I the UK it can be disabled via a dash switch, but it then puts up an annoying dash light saying it is.
Then when you shut down and restart you have to remember to do it again. It doesn't always work either due to not meeting certain conditions.
I don't want my car to shut off Everytime I stop to save a gallon of has. I won't buy a car that does that unless it can be disabled.

Mazda i-stop

I don't want my car to shut off Everytime I stop to save a gallon of gas. I won't buy a car that does that unless it can be disabled.
No, i-stop or any other similar systems wont shut off the engine every time you stop the vehicle. It has to meet many criteria to make engine stop. And Mazdas i-stop has been rated the best on smoothness while restarting the engine, you almost dont feel it. Anchorman seems to have no issues using the i-stop all the time:

Why would you turn off the istop? Its there to improve fuel consumption and emissions. Im not a tree hugger but I think that turning that off shouldnt even be an option and if you only give it chance you will find it makes no difference to your driving whatsoever.
Yes, the starter would be used albeit very briefly.

Correct. In Nelsons case, if the demand on the AC was high enough, the Istop wont even engage. It is automatically over-ridden if Hi or Lo is selected on the display. Just to clarify also, the eco mode is included in the auto function of the climate control and it will select the mode most suitable for the demand of its own accord.

See the attached pdf. Theres no excuses, its all been thought of so that the Istop is definitely a benefit. My pdf is for the diesel of course but it is virtually identical in operation for the G engine.

All the cynics that think they know better, dont.

Right and for me I think I often wouldn’t meet the criteria. If you live in a place with mild weather you probably benefit more.

Back