2018 CX-5 GT Headlight Adjustment

Nick_M

2018 CX-5 Grand Touring w/Premium
I recently just bought a 2018 CX-5 GT and drove across Iowa last night and it was scary with just the low beams as they are way too low and don't project out far enough. Can the low beam headlights be adjusted up and if so, how do you raise them? Thanks!

The low beams on all vehicles are set so that they don't project as far as the high beams. This is for safety reasons so as to not blind oncoming drivers. I presume you were unable to use your high beams due to oncoming traffic.

As I aged past 50yo (I'm now 67) my night vision deteriorated. I still have better than 20/20 vision but have difficulty in low-light situations like driving at night and trying to read menus in dimly lit restaurants. My solution for driving is to avoid driving at night. If I'm in a situation where I must drive, I reduce my speed and use fog lights to illuminate the shoulders of the road where animals may be lurking.

I recently just bought a 2018 CX-5 GT and drove across Iowa last night and it was scary with just the low beams as they are way too low and don't project out far enough. Can the low beam headlights be adjusted up and if so, how do you raise them? Thanks!
I agree. With the standard setup, you can’t see far enough to more than about 40 mph, at least here where the deer hazard is extreme. I drive mostly two lane rural roads, and when there is oncoming traffic, with the lights dimmed and no ambient lights from street lights, it’s really bad. My BMW X5 was the same way. I’d love to know if I could raise them a bit. The dims still wouldn’t come anywhere near blinding oncoming drivers.

You might want to have the headlight alignment checked by a qualified shop. A good one can fudge the adjustments just enough to give you a little more light while still staying within specs.

I figured it out. There is a 10mm bolt that can be turned to adjust the headlights up and down. The bolt is horizontal and the head of it is on the back side of the headlight. Turning the bolt makes very small adjustments so in my case it took a bunch of turns to raise them up a little.

Back