3m carbon fiber wrap...

yeah this stuff you DON'T want to stretch that much or it will F UP the effect. for you that don't know this is NOT like shrink wrap. installation does require skill.

+100000000000

i have some expierience with wrapping and holy s***, the hood was the hardest thing i have ever done, curves are the hardest thing to do

i think im going to redo it with some of this stuff later on, even though i have a real cf hood already lol

What's this Gel Coat you talk of? is it a can I can find at the paint shop or something?
i'm not sure who makes UV gel by itself, i can check later when im on my other computer with my bookmarks, but i also failed to mention - some clear coats have UV protectant in them already. one of the ones ive read about thats recommended is Tectyl 501 by vavoline. you have to check the packaging.
and i'd imagine that if theres no epoxy you would be OK without it, but i've got a feeling that UV is what causes this stuff to wear out in 6-10 years.
Nah the UV gel coat is the same crap they put on the expensive and cheap carbon fiber hood's and it still fade's or peals after awhile.Just clear coat it all together if you wanted too and if you go that route wax it once in awhile that's all.I clear coated a carbon fiber hood I was working on before and it came out great!
a clear coat should be applied on top of the UV protectant. the epoxy is much more sensitive to UV than paint or anything else, so blame the manufacturer for not properly clear coating it and just throwing gel coat on it and calling it a day. there is no such thing as UV resistant epoxy, and from what i understand not all clear coats have UV protectant. thats why you gel it first.

PICT0227.jpg

Damn MP3 way to go man that look's great I'ma have to pick some of this stuff up.Was it hard to do that part?You use a heat gun on it?

Damn MP3 way to go man that look's great I'ma have to pick some of this stuff up.Was it hard to do that part?You use a heat gun on it?

No it wasn't bad I just took my time forming it to round it with the heat gun. The hardest part I'm going to have to re do is the window switches.

This stuff looks awesome! Id love to do this but im afraid I dont have the skill to do it. And since you guys have talked a lot about using heat guns but the fact that they might get too hot and melt the product....ever think of just using a blow dryer instead?

hehe... yeah i thought about using a blow dryer... but when i got to the hair section in walmart... it appeared that the heat gun was a better deal... it really doesn't take to much skill... this stuff is very forgiving... though i did find it harder to do smaller more intricate pieces like the hand thingy on the roof... and the seat belt bolt cover... but the big flat pieces like the B pillar where a snap

Last edited:
hehe... yeah i thought about using a blow dryer... but when i got to the hair section in walmart... it appeared that the heat gun was a better deal... it really doesn't take to much skill... this stuff is very forgiving...

I guess living with a bunch of women can actually come in handy for once? :D
my biggest concern is what will happen to the wrapped item if i need to remove it and sell the car?

I guess living with a bunch of women can actually come in handy for once? :D
my biggest concern is what will happen to the wrapped item if i need to remove it and sell the car?

well when i was doing it.... it comes off fairly easy if you heat it back up... and it didn't leave any residue... but who knows what happens if you leave it for awhile... either way.. this stuff is pretty cool... i plan on doing more pieces tomorrow

Has anyone tried to remove this stuff a few weeks or months?
how hard is it ? and does it leave any sticky residues

its just like clear bra. comes right up. BUT if you do it right it'll be a PITA to take it off if youre using the right kicker for it to hold. BUT it wont damage or leave anything behind.

this stuff does look pretty good...it is tempting too. Only thing is I wouldn't know what the long term effects would be on the paint.

to me wrapping exterior stuff in this is an accident waiting to happen. either itll damage the paint, will bubble in the sun, or will peel as soon as it gets hit by a pebble at 60mph.

does look good in interior stuff though

to me wrapping exterior stuff in this is an accident waiting to happen. either itll damage the paint, will bubble in the sun, or will peel as soon as it gets hit by a pebble at 60mph.

does look good in interior stuff though

i agree, I would probably try this on interior pieces but me, I am still going to save up for a CF hood and trunk. I will probably get my roof painted black. I sent a message to Isport and they said they still have CF roof caps available for whoever wanted one. They aren't making anymore but they have a few with some deficiencies and a few good ones.

Back