My Stormtrooper CX-5 Turbo

veritas80

23' CX5 Turbo
:
SI, NY
I know there are other Stormtrooper CX-5's but this one is mine and I'd thought i'd share.

I've had the car for about 6 weeks and just over 1200 miles and it's awesome. The drivetrain over the NA is so worth it. Only wish is a red leather seat option like the Carbon and the ONLY negative I have is the silly high frequency noise that seems to accompany this engine and that others have complained about here. I have it and it's annoying but I'm learning to live with it as long as it doesn't get any louder. Seems like either some hear it or, some don't...some are louder than others and others don't have it at all. 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise, great car. My 22' Carbon was totaled in April so I had no intention of getting this but this spec was what I would have gotten at the time, if I could have afforded it. Paying more but I'll own this at the end so I'm happy.

Holding off on an Axleback and intake for now or until my wife gets a new car and then won't be driving this at all lol. The RB was too quiet for me. Might try the Borla Touring and the AEM Intake.

So mods for now:

OEM Black Lug nuts
Blacked out center wheel caps
Smoked front emblem
Front lower mesh grill to match main grill - fit perfectly
OEM Window deflectors - These are a PITA.
Red push button start
OEM CF Key Fob
Carbon Fiber side mirror overlays - love the look and opted for real CF
Smoked rear bumper reflectors
blacked out rear badges
3D All Weather Floor mats - superior to Weathertech
Blacked out chrome hockey stick trim
CF license plate frames
Blacked out exhaust tips.

Got the lower mesh inserts, push button and CF (These are real carbon fiber) mirror overlays from Mikstore. Haven't heard too many reviews but mine experience was good for these parts. I also ordered matte CF sticker overlays for the interior piano black parts and those SUCKED. Didn't fit and left all the edges of piano black showing. Wasn't even close. I don't like the plastic overlays as I can't find anything in Matte CF. I know I can vinyl wrap it myself but I'm not keen on taking the interior components apart lol.

Overall I'm happy with where I'm at. Not much more I wanna do. I have plans to paint the brake calipers red and I might change the shift knob. Mikstore has some cool options that might be worth a shot.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c98.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c98.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 168
  • fullsizeoutput_c95.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c95.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 137
  • fullsizeoutput_c96.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c96.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 131
  • fullsizeoutput_c97.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c97.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4472.jpg
    IMG_4472.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4473.jpg
    IMG_4473.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 151
  • fullsizeoutput_c99.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_c99.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_4478.jpg
    IMG_4478.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_4479.jpg
    IMG_4479.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
I like the blacked out window trim pieces. How did you manage that? I have a 23 Turbo in machine grey metallic with piano black trim. The window trim would be a nice touch.

Bring to any window tint shop. Nowadays, they all seem to be doing vinyl wraps for cars and car parts. Took them about an hour and matched the piano black trim pretty well.

I know there are other Stormtrooper CX-5's but this one is mine and I'd thought i'd share.

I've had the car for about 6 weeks and just over 1200 miles and it's awesome. The drivetrain over the NA is so worth it. Only wish is a red leather seat option like the Carbon and the ONLY negative I have is the silly high frequency noise that seems to accompany this engine and that others have complained about here. I have it and it's annoying but I'm learning to live with it as long as it doesn't get any louder. Seems like either some hear it or, some don't...some are louder than others and others don't have it at all. 🤷‍♂️

Otherwise, great car. My 22' Carbon was totaled in April so I had no intention of getting this but this spec was what I would have gotten at the time, if I could have afforded it. Paying more but I'll own this at the end so I'm happy.

Holding off on an Axleback and intake for now or until my wife gets a new car and then won't be driving this at all lol. The RB was too quiet for me. Might try the Borla Touring and the AEM Intake.

So mods for now:

OEM Black Lug nuts
Smoked front emblem
Red push button start
OEM CF Key Fob
blacked out rear badges
CF license plate frames

Got the lower mesh inserts, push button and CF (These are real carbon fiber) mirror overlays from Mikstore. Haven't heard too many reviews but mine experience was good for these parts. I also ordered matte CF sticker overlays for the interior piano black parts and those SUCKED. Didn't fit and left all the edges of piano black showing. Wasn't even close. I don't like the plastic overlays as I can't find anything in Matte CF. I know I can vinyl wrap it myself but I'm not keen on taking the interior components apart lol.

Overall I'm happy with where I'm at. Not much more I wanna do. I have plans to paint the brake calipers red and I might change the shift knob. Mikstore has some cool options that might be worth a shot.

You went through some trouble so that we can't see your license plate. You missed one.

IMG_4465.jpg :ROFLMAO:

I get it: it's white and black. But I would not want a stormtrooper car. The guys with the worthless armor that can't shoot straight? :D

I get it: it's white and black. But I would not want a stormtrooper car. The guys with the worthless armor that can't shoot straight? :D

I always wondered about their 'armor'. It does NOTHING to protect the dudes against blaster fire or from a light saber. Plus, with those bulky helmets on, they can't hit a damn thing that they're aiming at.

Perhaps with all that tech someone could invent an auto-targeting blaster?

I always wondered about their 'armor'. It does NOTHING to protect the dudes against blaster fire or from a light saber. Plus, with those bulky helmets on, they can't hit a damn thing that they're aiming at.

Perhaps with all that tech someone could invent an auto-targeting blaster?
Let's not go off topic with the star trek discussions

🤡

Moderator edit: Post deleted due to condescending, negative criticism. Personal opinions are welcomed, as long as they are not at the expense of other members. Warning issued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator edit: Post deleted due to condescending, negative criticism. Personal opinions are welcomed, as long as they are not at the expense of other members. Warning issued.
Why is it that when I see a message like ^that, I desperately want to know what was originally said? Guess I'll need to ask my therapist :(

So mods for now:

OEM Black Lug nuts
Smoked front emblem
Red push button start
OEM CF Key Fob
blacked out rear badges
CF license plate frames

The 'high frequency noise' is the transmission and my 23 Turbo is making the same noise since 1200 miles (I'm at 11k now).

Mazda is very well aware of this and does not deem it as faulty on lower mileage cars - it appears they do replace transmissions on higher mileage cars. It's all about the 'reliability' ratings.

I've owned several Miatas and with my experience with the CX5 is that Mazda does not stand behind their product, which is making the ownership experience less enjoyable.

I do hope you enjoy yours, but it looks like we will be getting rid of ours as that high-pitched whining noise is very annoying to live on a daily basis!

The 'high frequency noise' is the transmission and my 23 Turbo is making the same noise since 1200 miles (I'm at 11k now).

Mazda is very well aware of this and does not deem it as faulty on lower mileage cars - it appears they do replace transmissions on higher mileage cars. It's all about the 'reliability' ratings.

I've owned several Miatas and with my experience with the CX5 is that Mazda does not stand behind their product, which is making the ownership experience less enjoyable.

I do hope you enjoy yours, but it looks like we will be getting rid of ours as that high-pitched whining noise is very annoying to live on a daily basis!
Yeah i read through your thread and listened to your videos. I'm only at 1200 miles but yours is much more noticeable and louder than mine is at least right now. There were a few other threads as you've probably searched and the problem seems to be that steady state high pitched whine thats there all the time has warranted transmission replacement but some others that were quieter and harder to hear but still there...seems some found it was one of the fuel rails that was vibrating. I'm not entirely sure but at this point unless it gets audibly worse where my wife can hear it, I'm not sure bringing to the dealer will solve anything right now. As it stands I can only hear it with everything off in the car and under load and it's still only audible some of the time. If I have the radio on 10 I can't hear it lol.

I'm not saying thats the solution but i'll be back and forth to the dealer and they'll tell me it's normal until it gets louder and I can hear it 100% of the time 🤷‍♂️

Also seems odd to me that almost all these complaints are tied to the 2.5T and all Cx5s use the same 6 speed. Makes me wonder of the whine associated with transmission failure is different then our high frequency noise 🤷‍♂️

Maybe a loud exhaust will help lol

Back