3076R Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^^This is a reasonable answer. Which is highly possible, and it's easy to have a line pinched, or incorrectly routed and overboost on a new setup for sure.

Plus didnt someone say that it comes at 23 psi and u have to adjust the gate down? based on what ive read it sounds like overboosting. did this person even have a boost gauge?

Maxx, I have to agree with Brian on this one, as he really is correct.

Even in my own example, I pointed out exactly how he is correct...

"Forced induction does exactly what you said, "increase the pressure" within the cylinders. Although you cannot change the volume of the cylinders, you can change amount of air being forced into that cylinder."

The unit of measure for the amount of air being pressurized into the cylinder is PSI. And exactly like he said, 7 PSI = 7 PSI.

Take a step back and look at it in a elementary level. Take an empty 2 liter soda bottle. Now if you can use a hair dryer to fill stuff it with air, or you can use an air compressor. Either way, once its filled and becomes pressurized, that pressure is measured in PSI. It doesn't matter what is creating that pressure, the pressure inside the bottle is the same, no matter what you used to fill it. 7psi = 7psi

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell
Chapter 3, pages 26 to 30

I don't want to type that many pages, I'll post the main highlight:

"Compressor Efficiency. In concept, compressor effieceny is a measure of how well the compressor wheel can pump air without heating the air more than thermodynamic laws say it should... All compressor wheels operate within peak percentage efficiencies in the seventies. Choosing compressor size becomes mostly a question of where that compressor's efficiency peaks with respect to the flow capabilities of the engine/turbo system."

This is my point Brian.....................

Now.......I think it was either bad luck, bad motor, or something not plumbed right(possibly leading to an overboost).....None of this has ANYTHING to do with not having a tune.

I agree with you that it's more likely not the tune..

The cars rods are garbage and i have a feeling that my rod that broke was already faulty because motors usually blow at full throttle and at high rpm. 4000rpm 3/4 throttle is not going to make much more power then stock on 18psi.

Sorry about you blowing you motor. It hurts. I should know first hand.

Motors can blow anytime. Its not high rpm that blows a motor, it's a terrible a/f ratio and map that blows your motor. Heck, you can blow a motor on start up if your map is way off the charts. For some reason, your ecu didn't compensate like it did for the other MS6s.

men i personally think that you where low of oil or coolant, we finished doing my friends atp gt3071r turbo install. after one run the oil lebel and coolant lebel went down because there where more lines to fill, and also you where taking the turbo out full of coolant and oil. also some will drain from the line. either that or you had a leak. that will make sense why you car blwe up when it was at 4k rpm. thats just my .02 cents

This could be highly possible also.

This could be highly possible also.

ive removed lots of turbos and theres not enough oil in the center housing to cause the engine to blow up. same with coolant, yes it might be lower (coolant) but you'd have to be on the verge of overheating to notice a difference (unless he dumped a gallon on the ground)

he could have dumped but hes smart enough to install a turbo i doubt it was a fluid issue. well id hope it wasnt a coolant issue lol. that needle shoots up pretty fast when theres no coolant.

I still think you're wrong even after reading all the explanations. It doesn't make sense to me. Sure the engine can only deal with so much air (as much as it and it's intake system can contain) but even still a larger turbo can deliver more air per pound of boost. I showed that a few posts back.

Maxx, from what I read, there is no disagreement except for how you explain "why it does create more power?"

PV = nRT is the ideal gas LAW (as in nothing can change it, it is LAW, just like gravity)

Pressure x Volume = n (moles of gas) x R (constant) x Temperature

If pressure and volume are the same, then moles of gas are going to be the exact same at the same temperature. A KO4 shooting 10 psi of air into an engine at 150 degrees F is going to have the same exact amount of air as a GT35 shooting 10 psi of air into an engine at 150 degrees F.

(Answer to why larger turbos make more power at the same psi) The only reason why bigger turbos can flow more air is because of their efficiency. They do not begin to start blowing "hotter" air until they are out of their peak efficiency range, which is what the CFM maps are for. The only reason why bigger turbos make more power than smaller turbos at the same boost is because of the TEMPERATURE of the air.

I think what you're thinking is that no matter how much air the hairdryer can blow, the engine can only "process" or "use" so much of it, and therefore 18psi is 18psi. I just don't see that.

Agree to disagree? :D

(Answer)
in a nutshell you are saying the bigger turbo is more effiecient because it isn't working as hard as the k04 is to produce the same amount of psi.

ive removed lots of turbos and theres not enough oil in the center housing to cause the engine to blow up. same with coolant, yes it might be lower (coolant) but you'd have to be on the verge of overheating to notice a difference (unless he dumped a gallon on the ground)

he could have dumped but hes smart enough to install a turbo i doubt it was a fluid issue. well id hope it wasnt a coolant issue lol. that needle shoots up pretty fast when theres no coolant.

I was more leaning toward lack of oil in his motor. His oil pressure could have been low to begin with.

you say rich afr's kill motors. then you say it was due to aggressive timing and boost.

Its possible. Rich afr's CAN kill a motor. If you're running overly rich, overtime you can wash you piston rings out. When this happens, you now have fuel mixing with oil. Boom Boom.

Thats exactly what happened to my first LS/vtec motor. Ran to rich. Washed the rings out. Got fuel and oil mixture in the cylinders. Then poof...(exactly how it sounded lol)

BTW, after reading all this knowledgable info, I do believe that a tune may not have been the problem.

Anywho, I'll be looking for to your build. :)

Last edited:
It really is the obvious answer. I just dont understand why you would install a $1600 turbo and boost (fuel) cut killer and not install a boost controller along with something to measure the boost. (drunk)

He can look at it this way though: at least he didn't blow it up on the dyno while he was paying for the time!

It really is the obvious answer. I just dont understand why you would install a $1600 turbo and boost (fuel) cut killer and not install a boost controller along with something to measure the boost. (drunk)

He can look at it this way though: at least he didn't blow it up on the dyno while he was paying for the time!

my boost guage/controller came in the day after i did my turbo install. i thought if i didnt go full throttle or take it over 4000rpm it wouldnt matter. And i was planning on taking to a dyno to get an afr/boost reading before i drove the car hard. but it didnt last that long

i did have lack of coolant but it was refilled after the needle was on its way up to H

my boost guage/controller came in the day after i did my turbo install. i thought if i didnt go full throttle or take it over 4000rpm it wouldnt matter. And i was planning on taking to a dyno to get an afr/boost reading before i drove the car hard. but it didnt last that long

i did have lack of coolant but it was refilled after the needle was on its way up to H
and it all suddenly makes sense...

Plus didnt someone say that it comes at 23 psi and u have to adjust the gate down? based on what ive read it sounds like overboosting. did this person even have a boost gauge?

I don't know what ATP ships the 76R turbo with?

But the 71R comes with an 18psi WGA. They figure in an approximate 3psi drop acrosss the IC, and your car should boost close to 15.5 psi.

This was the case when I first installed my 71R, with the only form of boost controll being the WGA hooked direct to pressure source.

I've since swapped out that 18psi WGA, for a custom mounted 7psi WGA to more resemble the stock BC setup. I've got everything plumbed to control boost through my EMS.

ATP is a bunch of turds with crappy customer service IMO.....

The rods are paper thin on this motor as I can attest to. Hopefully Ken (Protege Garage) will have some Pauter rods and Arias pistons soon for you.
Mike

The rods are paper thin on this motor as I can attest to. Hopefully Ken (Protege Garage) will have some Pauter rods and Arias pistons soon for you.
Mike

really...thats interesting. does anyone have pictures of the stock internals? i always imagined mazda using some forged pieces of s***.

buy the nicest internals you can, don't go cheap on your rebuild. i mean you already have a nice turbo..so you might as well build it so you can use that turbo to its fullest (burnout)

think internals and a standback...at that point you would have the nicest MS6 out there IMO (headbang)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back