2016 CX-5 Oil Change Frequency

.... The high Zinc and Phosphorus content help with metal to metal contact and the detergents in the oil helps keep oil cleaner" (resist contamination from the exhaust)...

Ummm... high phosphorus content in motor oil can also poison catalytic converters. Amsoil's content may be "high" but surely you're not saying it would be out of SAE and ACEA specifications. It would be noteable here that Amsoil historically has refused to submit for certification to any third party standards.

If you want truly HIGH ZDDP for wear protection there is a certain avid movement that advocate use of motor oil designed for diesel applications. Or used to be...I honestly don't know what the current trend is these days.

Last edited:
Ummm... high phosphorus content in motor oil can also poison catalytic converters. Amsoil's content may be "high" but surely you're not saying it would be out of SAE and ACEA specifications. It would be noteable here that Amsoil historically has refused to submit for certification to any third party standards.

If you want truly HIGH ZDDP for wear protection there is a certain avid movement that advocate use of motor oil designed for diesel applications.

Not a great idea. There are a number of reasons oil is formulated differently for different types of engines....(crazy)

If you want truly HIGH ZDDP for wear protection there is a certain avid movement that advocate use of motor oil designed for diesel applications. Or used to be...I honestly don't know what the current trend is these days.

Amsoil has many oil formation for different needs, best to always do the "Look Up A Vehicle" to select the correct oil and filter. I used the Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil on the MX-3 without any emissions issues.

Depending on which Amsoil oil you use Z-rod or diesel or etc.. zDDP levels are around 900 to 1200 if I remember correctly .

I deleted the catalytic converter , EGR and Evap on my Evo. And vented to atmosphere on the pcv.

I had dual maps , E85 489 whp and 93 octane 421 whp. With this setup I ran Amsoil Diesel oil on my non diesel car for about 25k-30k miles . No adverse affects.

I needed higher Zddp to protect the HTA green turbos journal bearings. Mobile one changed their formula and those running hTA black , red , green or oem turbo with journal bearings needed the higher content to protect the bearings . Later they made dual ball bearing and that high if zddp content was not a must needed as much depending on setup .

Amsoil is not the only option though , there is Bred Penn , I think valvoline vr1 and many others as well .

Just something to add to this thread My vW GtI used castrol motor oil from factory . Oil change intervals recommended by vw was 10k miles or 1 year . But I don't know the zddp content of castrol brands of oil .

Depending on which Amsoil oil you use Z-rod or diesel or etc.. zDDP levels are around 900 to 1200 if I remember correctly .

I deleted the catalytic converter , EGR and Evap on my Evo. And vented to atmosphere on the pcv.

I had dual maps , E85 489 whp and 93 octane 421 whp. With this setup I ran Amsoil Diesel oil on my non diesel car for about 25k-30k miles . No adverse affects.

I needed higher Zddp to protect the HTA green turbos journal bearings. Mobile one changed their formula and those running hTA black , red , green or oem turbo with journal bearings needed the higher content to protect the bearings . Later they made dual ball bearing and that high if zddp content was not a must needed as much depending on setup .

Amsoil is not the only option though , there is Bred Penn , I think valvoline vr1 and many others as well .

Just something to add to this thread My vW GtI used castrol motor oil from factory . Oil change intervals recommended by vw was 10k miles or 1 year . But I don't know the zddp content of castrol brands of oil .

I take it you don't have emissions testing in your area. :)

I take it you don't have emissions testing in your area. :)

I did . But not the sniffer test , just obd2 . I tuned the ecu to show pass on everything . Went in with the car smelling like alcohol from the e85 and passed flying colors .

That's the beauty of the evo , it's a real tuner car. You can tune the ecu to do just about anything ! Using the laptop and software gives you access to basically everything and not some hand held device that just flashes maps .

Last edited:
Has anyone changed their oil change frequency from fixed to flexible in the middle of a cycle? Meaning, when I purchased the car on 4/1 I had it set to fixed and planned on changing the oil every 6 months (won't be anywhere near the 7,500 mileage mark by 10/1), but now after reading more and thinking about it, I want to change to flexible. I am currently at 3,600 miles. Will the system pick up that data and incorporate it into the overall oil usage when I make the switch or will I have to wait until the next oil change to select flexible?

Has anyone changed their oil change frequency from fixed to flexible in the middle of a cycle? Meaning, when I purchased the car on 4/1 I had it set to fixed and planned on changing the oil every 6 months (won't be anywhere near the 7,500 mileage mark by 10/1), but now after reading more and thinking about it, I want to change to flexible. I am currently at 3,600 miles. Will the system pick up that data and incorporate it into the overall oil usage when I make the switch or will I have to wait until the next oil change to select flexible?
No, the system won't pick up your 3,600 miles of data and will start at 100% oil life when you set to flexible maintenance right now. But you can always set to flexible oil change interval any time you want for testing or fun. Just change your oil at 6 months period as you originally planned and reset it again for flexible OCI after you made your first oil change and you can go back to rely on flexible oil change indicator or change it once a year before the indicator is on.

"Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil and Castrol 0W-20 Oil are required to achieve optimum calculation performance" for flexible maintenance.

Good to know, thank you. I guess I will just schedule my first 6 month free oil change on 10/1 and get it done. After that I'll set up as flexible.

I wonder if I should just wait to change at the 1 year mark rather than 6 months. There's no way I'll be at 10K miles before 12 months and I would still be within the warranty regulations. I don't see a real need to change at 6 months (10/1/15) when only at 3,600 currently.

Good to know, thank you. I guess I will just schedule my first 6 month free oil change on 10/1 and get it done. After that I'll set up as flexible.

I wonder if I should just wait to change at the 1 year mark rather than 6 months. There's no way I'll be at 10K miles before 12 months and I would still be within the warranty regulations. I don't see a real need to change at 6 months (10/1/15) when only at 3,600 currently.
We have the same dilemma as our CX-5 has only 3,300 miles for 6+ months. I set to flexible OCI mainly for warranty purpose and I don't feel like changing oil at this time. I may change it before the weather is getting really cold during Thanksgiving Holiday where our CX-5 may have 4,500+ miles. I actually would like to do my first oil change at 5,000 miles but that would be in the middle of winter it's too cold for me. Since I used to do the first oil change early so changing it at 4,500+ miles is fine with me. After this I'd change oil yearly with about 6,000+ miles per year. I'd never let the OCI exceed 7,500 miles on our CX-5 with Mazda moly oil although the manual says it can be 10,000 miles for flexible maintenance. I have got oil change kit from Med Center with Mazda moly oil, OEM filter, and washer ready and I can change oil any day when I feel it's about time.

Since you're going to use flexible maintenance, make sure to ask your dealer to use Mazda moly oil for your free oil change!

Yeah, I'll be sure to do that. I've got it etched into my brain to request the Mazda oil when the time comes. Thanks for your input on all of this.

make sure to ask your dealer to use Mazda moly oil for your free oil change!

Good luck with that. I tried that with my 'free' oil changes at my dealer - No-Go. Either I took the Castrol, or I had to pay for the oil change.

Oh really? Why not just charge you the difference between the Castrol and Mazda? That's really lame.

I haven't read through the entire thread however I plan on doing the first oil change at 1,000 mile mark but not reset the flexible oil reminder. The next oil change should occur at 10,000 miles. I'll check the oil levels every few thousand miles. With a good synthetic oil it should last 10,000 miles with no problems.

I haven't read through the entire thread however I plan on doing the first oil change at 1,000 mile mark but not reset the flexible oil reminder. The next oil change should occur at 10,000 miles. I'll check the oil levels every few thousand miles. With a good synthetic oil it should last 10,000 miles with no problems.
I used to do my first oil change around 1,000 miles like you do for the new car. But I changed my habit after seeing many car manufactures suggesting not to do so. Honda even specifically says in the owner's manual that don't do the first oil change early as the engine has factory "break-in" oil and needs to stay in there for the first several thousand miles. I still attempt to do the first change earlier than maintenance schedule, hence before 5,000 miles on our new CX-5 no matter what the oil life says.

BTW, our CX-5, bought on Mar. 12th and set to flexible maintenance within a week, has 3,650 miles on it right now with almost all city driving. The Maintenance App says it has 50% of the oil life. So it seems the flexible maintenance calculation won't let us to reach 10,000 miles cap easily for the oil change.

I haven't read through the entire thread however I plan on doing the first oil change at 1,000 mile mark but not reset the flexible oil reminder.

I would recommend not changing the oil that early. Drive it at least 5000 miles before doing the initial drain. There is a lot of BS out there regarding the break-in debris that 'needs' to be removed early because you don't want it circulating around in there. There is very little break in debris on engines like the SA-g's that are manufactured to such a high tolerance. Further, debris doesn't circulate, it either falls harmlessly to the bottom of the pan or is caught in the oil filter (what little there is).

+1. I'm with MikeM. Way too early in a modern engine. Let the oil, any added additives and Assembly lubes do their work. You have a very good oil filter to remove any damaging bits. ed

Back