Yes a 2023 CX-5 Oil Change Thread

Well - I went ahead and put in the 0W20 oe w/moly which I had on hand - I cant see the harm in it until winter blows thru - The dealer is selling Mazda OE 5W30 for $16.50
! Thats that - I am going to ask for suggestions on 5qt jugs of 5W30 for the next oil change - Im sure WalMart has sonething for under $35 - ? I took some pics of the factory Roki oil filter next to the OE dealer filter made in thailand - ( not value line ) the factory is slighly larger in circumfremce and the flow pathways are a different configuration- so be it -

Attachments

• 185AC7BD-7BE0-443C-838A-3078751F14AD.jpeg
    185AC7BD-7BE0-443C-838A-3078751F14AD.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 4842203F-45C9-4328-9DDF-1C935C172DCD.jpeg
    4842203F-45C9-4328-9DDF-1C935C172DCD.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 0E9300DC-FB48-411B-9DC3-EFADA8366455.jpeg
    0E9300DC-FB48-411B-9DC3-EFADA8366455.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 57
Personally (and it just my opinion after 50 plus years of car ownership), I would change the oil now.
There may or may not be debris in there from the break in period, but you are well past that point, so I'd get that oil out of there and go fresh. I have always done the first oil change early, and have never had a car with engine problems.
Also, I'd switch to 5W30 full synthetic, and forget about that 0w20 watered down stuff.
Everywhere else in the Mazda world, that is the recommended blend. The turbo uses 5W30, so why not the NA engine? It's only in the US and Canada that they use 0W20. There's a good thread on that very topic in this forum somewhere. Might be worth a search and read.
Buzz -Which brand of 5W30 are you using ?

I’m going to use Castrol Edge (edit, accidentally called it GTX) 5w-30 for the first few oil changes on my ‘23 Turbo. They were offering a rebate for two 5 quart containers and it came through within 2 weeks. This oil had very impressive TEOST results (found on BITOG) and it meets the Mazda owners manual requirements.
IMG_5555.png

Last edited:
Well - I went ahead and put in the 0W20 oe w/moly which I had on hand - I cant see the harm in it until winter blows thru - The dealer is selling Mazda OE 5W30 for $16.50
! Thats that - I am going to ask for suggestions on 5qt jugs of 5W30 for the next oil change - Im sure WalMart has sonething for under $35 - ? I took some pics of the factory Roki oil filter next to the OE dealer filter made in thailand - ( not value line ) the factory is slighly larger in circumfremce and the flow pathways are a different configuration- so be it -
Mazda OEM 5W-30 oil is different from Mazda 0W-20 moly oil. It has almost no moly content and many said it’s a relabeled conventional Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil. Some also suggest not to use 5W-30 while your 2.5L NA with CD is still under powertrain warranty.

Yes the factory oil filter on the 2.5L NA uses Tokyo Roki Japanese made PE01-14-302B oil filter but we can only get Denso Thai made 1WPE-14-302 in the US. You still can get Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE (also on eBay), and you can get it within a week like you order the parts from US online sellers.

Mazda - Made in Mexico Oil Filters are Faulty

I’m going to use Castrol GTX 5w-30 for the first few oil changes on my ‘23 Turbo. They were offering a rebate for two 5 quart containers and it came through within 2 weeks. This oil had very impressive TEOST results (found on BITOG) and it meets the Mazda owners manual requirements.View attachment 323288
I have been using Castrol GTX 5W-30 on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181K miles since new. At the time it’s a conventional oil. I still have old stock of Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil and it doesn’t say synthetic or blend on the bottle.

I have been using Castrol GTX 5W-30 on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 181K miles since new. At the time it’s a conventional oil. I still have old stock of Castrol GTX 5W-30 oil and it doesn’t say synthetic or blend on the bottle.
That’s great to hear! I also realized I need to correct my post. I’m using Castrol “Edge”, not GTX (my bad). It appears GTX is conventional, Edge is synthetic.

That’s great to hear! I also realized I need to correct my post. I’m using Castrol “Edge”, not GTX (my bad). It appears GTX is conventional, Edge is synthetic.
Yep. And bought 4 5-quart 5W-30 Castrol Edge at WalMart for $25.98 per container with $20 rebate per 10 quarts several weeks ago.

Although Castrol GTX 5W-30 is a conventional oil, but my 181K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V uses very minimum oil between each oil change.

Yep. And bought 4 5-quart 5W-30 Castrol Edge at WalMart for $25.98 per container with $20 rebate per 10 quarts several weeks ago.

Although Castrol GTX 5W-30 is a conventional oil, but my 181K-mile 1998 Honda CR-V uses very minimum oil between each oil change.
Thanks again for sharing that rebate with me. I find virtual gift cards a little hard to keep track of, so I immediately converted it to Amazon credit. Family always needs something from them lol!

Thanks again for sharing that rebate with me. I find virtual gift cards a little hard to keep track of, so I immediately converted it to Amazon credit. Family always needs something from them lol!
How did you “convert” the Castrol virtual gift card to Amazon credit?

Lol, sure thing! Didn’t want to accidentally derail thread but it’s useful. You’re basically buying an Amazon gift card with your prepaid rebate card:

1. Go to Amazon’s https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)page.
  2. Enter the amount that’s on your Visa/Mastercard gift card.
    enter balance of Mastercard gift card on Amazon
  3. Sign in to your Amazon account (this step is required even if you’re already logged in).
  4. Enter your gift card information in the specified fields and click 'Add your card'.
    enter in Mastercard gift card information on Amazon

If you don't know the balance on your Mastercard gift card, there is a balance check number on the back of the card so you can find out how much is on it.
  5. Select your gift card as the payment method and click ‘Done’
  6. You’ll then be redirected to the reload your balance screen; verify the amount of the gift card and then click ‘Reload’ button
Easier to manage imo if you frequently use Amazon : )

Thanks Ruth!!!

This was very timely information for me. I just received a $25 debit card as a rebate for some dog flea/tick/heart meds. I've received these cards in the past and it's always a bit of a hassle to redeem them. Not anymore thanks to Ruth. I just now applied the card to my Amazon account and it worked! At least it said that it did. It tells me to wait 5 mins, I'm waiting.

I waited, and it worked!!! :)

Last edited:
Just read the Canadian CX-5 OM -- ( fascinating reading ) - They are now recommending 0-w20 on all 24 CX-5s NAs 5-w30 on T

Just sprung for first oil change kit for 2023 na pp from mazmart....5 qt of oe moly 0-20w with oe filter...$70 shipped. Just going with it and avoid any warranty issues. keeping receipt and pic of parts, date and mileage info. At 2256 miles right now......so if intervals are 7500 why does car say service due in 2218 miles? That would be just shy of 5k to see wrench. Probably change oil around 3k first time then then do it every 6k or so afterwards. Looks like 10k a yr miles based on purchase right before july 4th. Already watched video to see where filter was since not visible from top or bottom, lol......ez swap

Just sprung for first oil change kit for 2023 na pp from mazmart....5 qt of oe moly 0-20w with oe filter...$70 shipped.
Yeh the price on Mazda OEM parts has been skyrocketed nowadays. I bought a case of Mazda moly 0W-20 oil before the pandemic and it’s only ~$7 per quart.

Just going with it and avoid any warranty issues. keeping receipt and pic of parts, date and mileage info.
You don’t have to use Mazda oil and oil filter to keep the warranty intact, although OEM oil filter (not the OEM “Value” MV oil filter) is highly recommended for high-flow rate. One-size-fit-all after-market oil filter simply can’t meet all specs like the OEM oil filter.

At 2256 miles right now......so if intervals are 7500 why does car say service due in 2218 miles? That would be just shy of 5k to see wrench.
Well, it’s the “flexible” OCI, it’ll vary depending on many factors. The maximum interval is 7,500 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. My flexible OCI usually gives the wrench indicator between 5,500 ~ 6,500 miles, or 12 months with much less than 5,000 miles during the pandemic.

Probably change oil around 3k first time then then do it every 6k or so afterwards. Looks like 10k a yr miles based on purchase right before july 4th. Already watched video to see where filter was since not visible from top or bottom, lol......ez swap
You don’t have to change the factory oil earlier than recommended. I did my first oil change a bit earlier than the flexible oil change due, at 5,000 miles.

Last edited:
I did score a PE01-14-302B roki oil filter before finding the package deal.....is that the high flow oe you are referencing? If so I will use that one. Only found singles for $14 or 10 packs for more than $100. the one that came with oil is oe but not same part number and i think said made in thailand instead of japan.
0000526_oil-change-kit-for-20-and-25-skyactiv-engines-not-for-turbo-applications__42027.165341...jpg

Last edited:
so use roki or thailand oe filters......where are the mv value ones sold?......just to make sure to avoid those

Back