Yes a 2023 CX-5 Oil Change Thread

GTXT23

LightFoot
My 2023 CX5 has lived at 60-75 mph for 85% of its life. After landing in the garage upon return from my last 800 mile odyssey , I averaged 35.2mpg. Which I am very happy with.
Soon I need to drive about 1000 miles and the oil looks good. Its clear and has a slight normal off color brown-ish tint when I checked it.
I have 5qts of 0-20 OE Mazda oil w Moly and an OE ( not value line ) filter ready 2 go.
So Im scratching the Cabeza and saying ...why waste good oil and money and let er go to 6500... then drop the plug and do Oil change #1. My gut says it certainly cant hurt since the mileage is stellar and the oil looks great- So I defer to my fellow CX-5 drivers for opinions -
Change it now , or Wait ??- Obviously its new and I like to get it broken in properly -
Many Thanx !

Last edited:
Seems you already have that answered :)

but out of curioisity - Turbo or no -turbo?
Would that be your first oil change?

N/A- Historically I never let anything go over 5000 w/o an oil change - but its getting expensive @ $9/qt - If I was running Mobil 1 - for $28/5qt It wouldnt be an issue

While we can certainly see catastrophic issues with our eyes, a visual inspection does not yield any scientific data, nor does our guts.

Should you wish to take care of the vehicle, my advice would be to follow the manual. If you wish to extend past what is recommended in the manual, you will need to have an oil analysis performed to see what is actually happening to the oil. Often, it is the case you can extend the oil change cycle.

Why risk anything on speculation? The other concern may be warranty. It would be awful to get denied a claim because you exceeded what the manual prescribes.

Assuming you are using Mazda Moly oil for warranty reasons. There are other additives which serve the same function. Otherwise, Mazda oil is not magic, and there are other cheaper options should you choose.

You also mention "break-in". Again, I must say follow the manual, however, I have my own thoughts. I just had my first oil change. '23 Turbo Sig. 10 months old in my garage, and 735 miles. It was based on time. I am waiting on the analysis results now. As per the manual, that is far short of the break-in period suggested. Imagine however how many times my engine has made a complete revolution. We could do some math here, but it's a lot. Seems like it's probably broken in. Above that, I have been in Powertrain Assembly plants where brand new completed engines are pulled right off the line and connected to a test stand. Then they are run for a few minutes wide open throttle. After, the engines go right back into pack-out to be installed in new vehicles. Really makes me wonder sometimes.

Indeed, what does the manual say?

For the 2016.5 there are three possible recommendations, depending on if you're using the Fixed, the Flex, or the Severe use schedules.

Fixed = 6 months or 7.5k miles, whichever comes first.

Flex = 12 months or 10k miles, whichever comes first.

Severe = 12 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first.

So, if the OP changed his oil when he returned from his trip, with ~6.5k miles on the odo, he should be good.

My 2023 CX5 has lived at 60-75 mph for 85% of its life. After landing in the garage upon return from my last 800 mile odyssey , I averaged 35.2mpg. Which I am very happy with.
Soon I need to drive about 1000 miles and the oil looks good. Its clear and has a slight normal off color brown-ish tint when I checked it.
I have 5qts of 0-20 OE Mazda oil w Moly and an OE ( not value line ) filter ready 2 go.
So Im scratching the Cabeza and saying ...why waste good oil and money and let er go to 6500... then drop the plug and do Oil change #1. My gut says it certainly cant hurt since the mileage is stellar and the oil looks great- So I defer to my fellow CX-5 drivers for opinions -
Change it now , or Wait ??- Obviously its new and I like to get it broken in properly -
Many Thanx !
Since you didn’t answer @cz5gt’s questions completely, I’d assume your 2023 CX-5 with 2.5L NA / CD currently has ~5,500 miles and it still has factory oil in there.

You next trip will be 1,000 miles and you want to make a decision whether or not to change the oil now or after the trip.

This’s going to be a bit hard decision for me too. I like your thinking that “...why waste good oil and money and let er go to 6500...” and it‘s also good to the environment. But then I still have some urge that I want to change the factory oil a little earlier at 5,000 miles, not 7,500 miles as Mazda recommended.

Luckily there’s a Maintenance Monitor for oil change in your CX-5 infotainment apps. Just check the mileage remaining on current oil life. If it says less than 1,000 miles, go change it. If it shows more than 1,000 miles just change the oil after the 1.000-mile trip. ;)

"Indeed, what does the manual say?"

The vast majority of people fall under severe, however, it seems OP intends to take care of the vehicle for the long term, so, severe makes sense, however, I already covered that. Pretty easy.

He was worried about possibly going 1,500 miles over. Really should it make a difference- probably no, but for extended changes an analysis is what is needed to be sure. Oil changes are cheap- especially if you can afford a new car you should be able to afford the oil changes.

Not trying to put a chink in yer armor bro- but we are talking about hurts and feels and "should"s. I am talking about science.

Attachments

• missingthepoint-jeopardy.gif
    missingthepoint-jeopardy.gif
    570.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
"Indeed, what does the manual say?"

The vast majority of people fall under severe, however, it seems OP intends to take care of the vehicle for the long term, so, severe makes sense, however, I already covered that. Pretty easy.

He was worried about possibly going 1,500 miles over. Really should it make a difference- probably no, but for extended changes an analysis is what is needed to be sure. Oil changes are cheap- especially if you can afford a new car you should be able to afford the oil changes.

Not trying to put a chink in yer armor bro- but we are talking about hurts and feels and "should"s. I am talking about science.
This’s what the 2023 Mazda CX-5 owner’s manual says:

6D5E22B1-618C-48C7-B419-7CF3E059223B.jpeg

A4FA8EFE-F956-4D46-A0F8-F1C9518672E6.jpeg

30D434A5-267D-45F3-961D-FC3E25C53F4C.png

Based on mostly highway driving by the OP, it’s hard to be qualified as “severe driving conditions”. The best is to follow Mazda’s recommendation and use “Flexible” OCI which can be used in normal and severe driving conditions. And the maximum OCI by “Flexible” is 12 months or 7,500 miles.

IMO any current synthetic oils can handle 7,500 miles of service under most driving conditions. There’re too many UOA reports can support that. Considering Toyota has been using 10,000-mile OCI under any driving conditions with a super-thin 0W-16 oil for many years you should feel Mazda’s oil change interval at 7,500 miles is pretty conservative.

Since you didn’t answer @cz5gt’s questions completely, I’d assume your 2023 CX-5 with 2.5L NA / CD currently has ~5,500 miles and it still has factory oil in there.

You next trip will be 1,000 miles and you want to make a decision whether or not to change the oil now or after the trip.

This’s going to be a bit hard decision for me too. I like your thinking that “...why waste good oil and money and let er go to 6500...” and it‘s also good to the environment. But then I still have some urge that I want to change the factory oil a little earlier at 5,000 miles, not 7,500 miles as Mazda recommended.

Luckily there’s a Maintenance Monitor for oil change in your CX-5 infotainment apps. Just check the mileage remaining on current oil life. If it says less than 1,000 miles, go change it. If it shows more than 1,000 miles just change the oil after the 1.000-mile

: It would be oil change #1 and in the reply , the firt thing I posted was N/A

Luckily there’s a Maintenance Monitor for oil change in your CX-5 infotainment apps. Just check the mileage remaining on current oil life. If it says less than 1,000 miles, go change it. If it shows more than 1,000 miles just change the oil after the 1.000-mile trip. ;)

slow down there cowboy - In the original post , I stated " ...it would be oil change #1 " and in my reply I wrote it was N/A -( N/A stands for Naturally Aspirated ) - I could have clarified the mileage and just said 5500 instead of im going to drive 1000mi and then it would be 6500mi - my bad - so no intent to confuse ;-)
I was just curious as to what my fellow Mazda drivers would do if they had a new CX-5 -
Appreciate your input as the oil looks good but I consider the diffrence between the 5000mi extreme cond. vs the 7500mi normal as outlined in the owners manual - Thanks again

Last edited:
While we can certainly see catastrophic issues with our eyes, a visual inspection does not yield any scientific data, nor does our guts.

Should you wish to take care of the vehicle, my advice would be to follow the manual. If you wish to extend past what is recommended in the manual, you will need to have an oil analysis performed to see what is actually happening to the oil. Often, it is the case you can extend the oil change cycle.

Why risk anything on speculation? The other concern may be warranty. It would be awful to get denied a claim because you exceeded what the manual prescribes.

Assuming you are using Mazda Moly oil for warranty reasons. There are other additives which serve the same function. Otherwise, Mazda oil is not magic, and there are other cheaper options should you choose.

You also mention "break-in". Again, I must say follow the manual, however, I have my own thoughts. I just had my first oil change. '23 Turbo Sig. 10 months old in my garage, and 735 miles. It was based on time. I am waiting on the analysis results now. As per the manual, that is far short of the break-in period suggested. Imagine however how many times my engine has made a complete revolution. We could do some math here, but it's a lot. Seems like it's probably broken in. Above that, I have been in Powertrain Assembly plants where brand new completed engines are pulled right off the line and connected to a test stand. Then they are run for a few minutes wide open throttle. After, the engines go right back into pack-out to be installed in new vehicles. Really makes me wonder sometimes.
Nice - Thanks - I have 2 months not 10 and the scientific aspect is no doubt the only way to be certain im either at the 5k mi or 7.5k mi interval for the first oil change - great solid advice - I suppose if I switch to Amsoil they do the testing but theres more to that commitment than just engine oil -
really great advice - Thank You

slow down there cowboy - In the original post , I stated " ...it would be oil change #1 " and in my reply I wrote it was N/A -( N/A stands for Naturally Aspirated ) - I could have clarified the mileage and just said 5500 instead of im going to drive 1000mi and then it would be 6500mi - my bad - so no intent to confuse ;-)
I was just curious as to what my fellow Mazda drivers would do if they had a new CX-5 -
Appreciate your input as the oil looks good but I consider the diffrence between the 5000mi extreme cond. vs the 7500mi normal as outlined in the owners manual - Thanks again
So what does your Maintenance Monitor app say on oil life remaining for oil change in your infotainment system?

So what does your Maintenance Monitor app say on oil life remaining for oil change in your infotainment system?
That is an XLNT question - and I didn't go there because its a time / mileage read which dosen't actually monitor oil viscosity etc . say like a Porsche -- It says 2451 miles remaining until the next oil change -( my ODO reads 5549 )-In other words 8000 miles ! - NOT -
I wasn't going reset it for my next service until after the first oil change- but I am pretty sure someone that PDI'd the car at the dealer set it and cant do math - kuz its off by 500 miles

That is an XLNT question - and I didn't go there because its a time / mileage read which dosen't actually monitor oil viscosity etc . say like a Porsche -- It says 2451 miles remaining until the next oil change -( my ODO reads 5549 )-In other words 8000 miles ! - NOT -
I wasn't going reset it for my next service until after the first oil change- but I am pretty sure someone that PDI'd the car at the dealer set it and cant do math - kuz its off by 500 miles
Unfortunately somehow your flexible oil change monitor got reset at the certain point, hence the 8,000 miles total indicated. And did you check the mileage or reset it at the time you picked up the new car?

Although Mazda’s maintenance monitor doesn’t do sophisticated oil analysis but it does calculating the driving time and mileage with other factors. I myself found the system is pretty accurate and “flexible” depending on my car usage and driving style. It even gave me the red wrench indicator to warn me the oil change for the last couple of years even thought the CX-5 had driven only 2,500 miles, but reached 12 months maximum time period.

Unfortunately somehow your flexible oil change monitor got reset at the certain point, hence the 8,000 miles total indicated. And did you check the mileage or reset it at the time you picked up the new car?

Although Mazda’s maintenance monitor doesn’t do sophisticated oil analysis but it does calculating the driving time and mileage with other factors. I myself found the system is pretty accurate and “flexible” depending on my car usage and driving style. It even gave me the red wrench indicator to warn me the oil change for the last couple of years even thought the CX-5 had driven only 2,500 miles, but reached 12 months maximum time period.
The mileage on the ODO was a critical part of the purchase decision - others may disagree but If I see a vehicle thats been demo'd with lots of miles - no thanx - It had 2 miles on it and in the ether gases of the new purchase I did not reset it , thus the 8000 mile interval -

Personally (and it just my opinion after 50 plus years of car ownership), I would change the oil now.
There may or may not be debris in there from the break in period, but you are well past that point, so I'd get that oil out of there and go fresh. I have always done the first oil change early, and have never had a car with engine problems.
Also, I'd switch to 5W30 full synthetic, and forget about that 0w20 watered down stuff.
Everywhere else in the Mazda world, that is the recommended blend. The turbo uses 5W30, so why not the NA engine? It's only in the US and Canada that they use 0W20. There's a good thread on that very topic in this forum somewhere. Might be worth a search and read.

Personally (and it just my opinion after 50 plus years of car ownership), I would change the oil now.
There may or may not be debris in there from the break in period, but you are well past that point, so I'd get that oil out of there and go fresh. I have always done the first oil change early, and have never had a car with engine problems.
Also, I'd switch to 5W30 full synthetic, and forget about that 0w20 watered down stuff.
Everywhere else in the Mazda world, that is the recommended blend. The turbo uses 5W30, so why not the NA engine? It's only in the US and Canada that they use 0W20. There's a good thread on that very topic in this forum somewhere. Might be worth a search and read.
I already purchased the 0-20 OE Mazda oil w/moly// I will see if the dealer will allow me exchange it for the 5-30 -
On pages 6-20-21 of the 2023 Owners manual it states both 0-20 and 5-30 are acceptable for the N/A - and the Turbo only 5-30 so the warranty will be good. - Theres a strange disclaimer under the 5-30 thats NOT under the 0-20 description and it states " A chief contribution this type of oil makes to fuel economy is reducing the amount of fuel necessary to overcome engine friction "- Yet at the header it states for Vehicles outside the USA and IN Canada--confusion, but --Im sold , didnt even read that - Many Thanx

So were going into winter here and it goes just to freezing but rarely for long periods of time- It would seem the 5W30 would be best in summer as it gets pretty hot in summer 100+ degrees - so if I flip it now to 5W30 Im just sticking with it year round -- Does Mazda sell an OE 5W30 in US dealers which I can use in the NA ? IM guessing its the same as the turbo 2.5 oil ?

Back