2014 CX-5 Hood TSB?

If Mazda is on top of it it should be part of dealer delivery check before the car is sold. But they are betting on not all owners will come back in to get it fixed.

They should figure out the root cause by know

What is interesting about the hood and mirror shake is that they have a TSB and say that cars made after a certain date (Nov 16, 2012 for mirror and April 18, 2012 for hood) should be fixed. Clearly it looks like cars manufactured after that date are still having problems. All very odd.

After a long drive, where I watched the hood to see how much it vibrates, it seems that most of the time the vibration is very minor. I am not sure how much better it can be if the hood is not welded / attached with screws to the support structure. For me, the vibrations are caused by rough road. Not every rough patch will get it vibrating much, only if I hit a section which gets the right resonance frequency. Maybe only then it looks something I should be concerned about. In all other cases it is very minor.
I think I am going to mention this to the dealer (perhaps to Mazda-USA), but with no welding/screws I don't know if it's going to get much different.

The mirror shake is not a concern at all, as I don't see any mechanical problem coming out of it. It does annoy me somewhat, so I am definitely going to mention it to the dealer at my next appointment.

Just picked up my 2014 February build grand touring on Saturday. I have the drivers side mirror shake although it does not distort the view at any speed. I also have what I would call slight hood flutter that I noticed at the base of the windshield. My still owned y2k maxima with 220,000 miles on it has done the exact same thing from day one of new ownership. Funny that the hood feels heavier on my Mazda so I am not sure it's a thinner metal issue, but I have not checked the glued supports yet to see if they are broken. Love the car, but there is no excuse for mirror shake in a 30k car.

I dropped our 2014 CX-5 (that we got just over a week ago) back at the dealer so they could look at the vibration issues. The service adviser just called me back.

He said they took it out for a drive and did confirm that there was vibration in both the mirror and hood. He said that they then drove another CX-5 from the lot and noted the same behavior in it as well. He said there were no TSBs from Mazda about it, so as far as they were concerned, this was "normal behavior" for the model.

I mentioned the 2013 TSB, but he said it did not apply to this year. He then said that the issue is noted on my records and to let them know if it seemed to get worse. And that they would let me know if a TSB does come out for it.

Hmm.

So I've had the chance to drive the car around some more on the hwy and over some bump hwy sections.

I think the vibrations of the hood have been minimized. It doesn't seem to be vibrating so much now. It's to the point to where I don't think anything is wrong with the car.

I did what CERV did, which was adjust to those black knobs/bumpers that the hood rests on (on the underside of the hood and the ones in the engine bay). I turned them clockwise till they couldn't turn anymore, then counter clockwise to where the arrows all point to the front of the car. I haven't done anything else to the hood, so those broken glue locations are still broken.

I'm curious to see if any of you guys have done the same and noticed less vibration.

Last edited:
Report the dealer to Mazda.

I dropped our 2014 CX-5 (that we got just over a week ago) back at the dealer so they could look at the vibration issues. The service adviser just called me back.

He said they took it out for a drive and did confirm that there was vibration in both the mirror and hood. He said that they then drove another CX-5 from the lot and noted the same behavior in it as well. He said there were no TSBs from Mazda about it, so as far as they were concerned, this was "normal behavior" for the model.

I mentioned the 2013 TSB, but he said it did not apply to this year. He then said that the issue is noted on my records and to let them know if it seemed to get worse. And that they would let me know if a TSB does come out for it.

Hmm.

Hmm.

My dealership told me the same thing!! Also with the rattle from the back hatch! Their "techs" couldn't hear anything so they couldn't fix it! I even gave him the TSB's for that & the driverside mirror! Told me there isn't a fix & its just the way they are made!

Report the dealer to Mazda.

Not long after I got off the phone with the local Mazda service guy, I called Mazda directly. I wanted to make sure they were aware of issues. He didn't say that this was an issue on the 2014 models, but that doesn't surprise me. He essentially told me what the local service guy said. Took my information, and said they'd get back with me if anything changes.

So I've had the chance to drive the car around some more on the hwy and over some bump hwy sections.

I think the vibrations of the hood have been minimized. It doesn't seem to be vibrating so much now. It's to the point to where I don't think anything is wrong with the car.

I did what CERV did, which was adjust to those black knobs/bumpers that the hood rests on (on the underside of the hood and the ones in the engine bay). I turned them clockwise till they couldn't turn anymore, then counter clockwise to where the arrows all point to the front of the car. I haven't done anything else to the hood, so those broken glue locations are still broken.

I'm curious to see if any of you guys have done the same and noticed less vibration.

It's possible that the knobs not being adjusted right is what caused the adhesive to break in the first place. My hood flexed the first day I had it, I adjusted the knobs and most of the vibration went away. I bet if I put some extra adhesive in there now the vibration would probably be next to nothing. On the flip side of that, maybe it's a bad batch of adhesive from 3M. Deepfriedsushi, I would've loved to hear Mazda's reaction after seeing your hood with the broken glue. Maybe you should send them some pics.

Last edited:
Hi all, first post here. I have had my 2014 CX-5 Touring FWD for about two weeks now and the hood shake issue is what lead me here. I have not noticed mirror shake. My experience is the same as what has been related above. The hood shake is not noticeable on normally smooth roads or low speeds, but at driving speed and hit some chop, the hood bounces. Particularly, it is the center of the hood closest to the windshield wipers. It bothers me enough that I googled the issue, which lead me to here.

I have a good friend that works in the service dept and my brother-in-law is a salesman for my dealer, so I'll be bending their ears a good bit over the next week or so. Already printed the 2013 TSB to share with them. I think a quick call or e-mail from anyone experiencing this with their 2014 should be done to help get a TSB issued.

Same here, I won't accept a vibrating mirror, or hood.
I find it strange that Mazda are still sending out cars with this issue.

Hopefully by the time my car is delivered, late July most of the issues will have disappeared, but i.ve a feeling I've ordered 6 months too early.

xtrail dont beat yourself up about it,
most (but not always - see below*) of the time it's better to buy a model at the end of its production run as they have less, but unless you're addicted to large discounts., you're buying a 6 or 7 yr old design.
being positive , at least the Australians have been beta testing it for us. I would not have bought mine if it was a new model that hadn't already been on sale elsewhere for some time.

* - sometimes once a model had been established, the manufacturer looks to implement further build cost savings from the original model which means that they become less reliable than the earlier models.
This happens a lot with 'stuff'. The first DVD players were well built (and expensive) but nowadays they are built far cheaper as build costs are driven down.

This topic was an interesting find....

I just picked up a CX-5 as a rental this week for work. It is a 2013 Touring. The first thing I noticed when I hit some bumps in the road was that the hood appeared to be "bouncing" a little. Slightly distracting. I own a 5 and wandered over to this section to get some reviews of it. I like it overall but just found that little quirk to be annoying.

Here is my story: I've had 2 weeks to buy a car for my new job. I've own in Germany Opel Kadett, Honda Accord, 3-series BMW. My cars in US - VW Passat wagon and 320i BMW. Never bought new vehicle, always used one. Now, since my family had a good experience with RAV4, I started to look for a SUV. Used BMW X3 or Audi Q5 would fit into my budge, but I decided to go with new CX-5. The reason - new car warranty. On the way home from Saratoga Springs, NY into VT noticed shaking hood and vibrating driver mirror. I called the dealer in NY and reported it right away. They want however, me to come over to inspect it. Since it's 2.5 hours away, I went to the local dealer. Needed to schedule an appointment, so that an expert would be able to check it out. He confirmed vibrations, but needed to contact Mazda for further steps as my vehicle is 2014 model. Couple days thereafter, they told me that Mazda has requested prove for both of those issues. I should document it on video and pictures. I did not believe it. Called Mazda USA today, but the rep found notes on my file and states the same. I was never so frustrated with any of my car purchases before. They sold me the vehicle with some defects, which are documented and confirmed for 2013 model. Obviously, those issues were not cured for 2014 model and local Mazda's expert confirmed it. But I've to run around to get prove of it?! What is your experience? What dealers saying or doing for you guys?

So I have yet to contact the dealer about my hood and shaking mirror. Just haven't had the time to be able to bring it in yet.

However, that desire has gone down a bit because after adjusting those rubber "feet", the hood shakes a lot less. I don't drive much freeway so the mirror shake isn't really bothersome. These are still issues I'd like to get taken care of though.

It seems like Mazda is still not acknowledging the issue according to you guys.

Now my plan is tho use my gopro+suction cup mount and mount it to the windshield and get some video of the vibrating hood (will adjust feet back to original position to increase the shaking) and will also mount the camera on the driver-side window to capture the mirror shake. Once I get around to doing that, I'll post the video up here and also use it as evidence when I find time to go to the dealer.

Now my plan is tho use my gopro+suction cup mount and mount it to the windshield and get some video of the vibrating hood (will adjust feet back to original position to increase the shaking) and will also mount the camera on the driver-side window to capture the mirror shake. Once I get around to doing that, I'll post the video up here and also use it as evidence when I find time to go to the dealer.

Do I understand you correctly?

You are purposely going to adjust the adjustable hood bumpers to maximize the shaking before documenting it?

The dealer will probably just properly adjust the hood bumpers back to the location that minimized the flexing before giving you the car back.

Sounds like a big waste of everyone's time (not to mention less than forthright).

At least that's how it appears to me. Let us know how it goes.

Yes, you read that right. I'm basically adjusting it back to how i received the car.

I will also include my pictures of the broken glue tabs when i contact the dealer.

Took a 400+ mile trip over the weekend going 80+ on many parts and I don't get this whining about the shaking hood. Even at 80+ it really is not that bad that it becomes a distraction, yeah the driver side mirror vibrates a little as well but I see right through it. Believe me I'm a perfectionist when it comes to certain things but am I missing something that many of you are seeing? you guys make it sound as if the hood is going to fall apart when driving. I have an early build 2013 CX-5 as well. Would love to see the video of these thunderous vibrations of the hood though to compare.

Do I understand you correctly?

You are purposely going to adjust the adjustable hood bumpers to maximize the shaking before documenting it?

The dealer will probably just properly adjust the hood bumpers back to the location that minimized the flexing before giving you the car back.

Sounds like a big waste of everyone's time (not to mention less than forthright).

At least that's how it appears to me. Let us know how it goes.

Adjusting the feet, reduces, but does not eliminate the hoodshake. It makes perfect sense to put them back how he found them originally and have the dealer solve the problem completely. You don't spend this much money on a car to come up with half-ass solutions to problems on your own.

Back