2014 CX-5 Hood TSB?

Where on the good are you guys seeing the shaking?
The middle of the hood in front of the wiper blades?
Last night I asked my wife to stare at the hood while we were driving on a concrete highway.
It was grooved so a lot of vibration. The middle of the hood was 'bouncing' up & down a little but not sure if that's normal.
I didn't stare at hoods of my other cars, so not sure if it's normal.

I was aware of the hood and driver rear view mirror issues when I bough mine. I did notice the hood vibrating in the middle as well when I took her home from the dealer. So here is what I did after. I checked the play between the hood and the front latch by pressing it. To me was a bit more excessive from my taste. I popped open the hood and adjusted (turned counter clockwise 1/2 turn) the rubber bumper at the hood and at the frame near the headlights (total of 4). That way minimized the play when the hood is closed. After this I did not noticed any more vibration of the hood. I believe that was the root cause of the vibration

Is there anyway to look up the TSB (if there is one) for the hood shake?

I got mine back from the dealer yesterday, they finally fixed the mirror shake. The service manager said they applied some new bracket/adhesive and it seems to have done the trick.

But the hood still bounces or flexes at higher speeds. Seems to be better than before but still an issue.

I have pretty moderate to severe hood shake at highway speeds, especially in the wind. No mirror shake however. I got my plates put on my 14 gt yesterday, and asked about the TSB and the guy blankly stared at me. I did however get them to swap out the whole plastic faux wood dash because there was a defect scratch in it, so not pushing my luck.

I just did this, I did notice there where arrows on the rubber grommets that are now pointing forward instead of backwards..

I was aware of the hood and driver rear view mirror issues when I bough mine. I did notice the hood vibrating in the middle as well when I took her home from the dealer. So here is what I did after. I checked the play between the hood and the front latch by pressing it. To me was a bit more excessive from my taste. I popped open the hood and adjusted (turned counter clockwise 1/2 turn) the rubber bumper at the hood and at the frame near the headlights (total of 4). That way minimized the play when the hood is closed. After this I did not noticed any more vibration of the hood. I believe that was the root cause of the vibration

^^^
On my understanding about these grommets, these arrows are the stops molded in to prevent from screwing in further than was intended. Part of the design consideration of the hood has to take in account these grommets/bump stops stop threading in. The hood frame cutout "threaded" part has to take in account that. I think someone messed up the final location of the stop (being in the back rather than forward). And of course trying to do a stamping tool change will cost a lot of $$$. Even redesign the grommets will also cost a lot and will not be justified if this is an off the shelf part. It is my belief that by having the front hood loose/ bouncing, will transfer such movement to the rear (the ripple effect which we see from our point of view). The middle rear of the hood flexes a bit on rough road but not during freeway speed 70-75 mph when I first drove it home. I also tend to believe that the hood frame may need to be reinforced a bit more.

Thank you, I would also agree the hood needs a bit more reinforcement, but the weight cutting to get the car more efficient may be partially to blame.

^^^
On my understanding about these grommets, these arrows are the stops molded in to prevent from screwing in further than was intended. Part of the design consideration of the hood has to take in account these grommets/bump stops stop threading in. The hood frame cutout "threaded" part has to take in account that. I think someone messed up the final location of the stop (being in the back rather than forward). And of course trying to do a stamping tool change will cost a lot of $$$. Even redesign the grommets will also cost a lot and will not be justified if this is an off the shelf part. It is my belief that by having the front hood loose/ bouncing, will transfer such movement to the rear (the ripple effect which we see from our point of view). The middle rear of the hood flexes a bit on rough road but not during freeway speed 70-75 mph when I first drove it home. I also tend to believe that the hood frame may need to be reinforced a bit more.

No problem. I just checked the grommets/ bump stops my MZ3 since the CX5 is with the wife. Yes these arrow indicate the threaded stop location. I took one out and it is half way of the thread. I did noticed one that did not showed the stop?? then I proceed to unscrew it then the stop appeared. My guess that the hood clearances get designed with the stop as a start point. With variation on manufacturing if the grommet has to be further screwed in they just force the stop into the thread.

I just thought this... if I can find a block of close cell foam and hot glue it in the middle where it get supported. As far as how hard the foam needs to be, probably a bit harder than a "stress ball". Will see..... If it works, I post some pictures.

Last edited:
Looking forward to it, also what direction are the arrows pointing on your stop molds now that you turned them?

I just thought this... if I can find a block of close cell foam and hot glue it in the middle where it get supported. As far as how hard the foam needs to be, probably a bit harder than a "stress ball". Will see..... If it works, I post some pictures.

I have parts ordered for my 13 in regards tot he hood vibration. The dealer will service it (they get paid for TSB work), but it has to meet a certain production date.

I have parts ordered for my 13 in regards tot he hood vibration. The dealer will service it (they get paid for TSB work), but it has to meet a certain production date.

Interesting of seeing theses parts. I took a quick look at the hood last night and so far trying to support it at the rear edge is a bit more difficult since under is the plastic cowl grill. About 3 to 4" in I could feel the rear weather striping. We will see this weekend when I took a closer look

2014 GT - No mirror shake, but significant hood vibration at highway speeds. Going to give the dealer a call about it tomorrow.

Thanks to Wannabe and SayNotoPistons I was able to see the hood TSB. However this does not apply to the 2014. It does make sense when the hood and the hood frame become separated because it was not enough. Kind of like a loose sail. However, yesterday I had a chance to do a family outing. I have found that at smooth highway at 70-80 mph there was no hood vibration. At rough sections I could see the hood vibrating at the center (at the wiper area.)
After returning I popped the hood and I realize that the plastic cowl is flexing when I push it down at the weather seal area. In my other cars the weather seal is attached to the frame directly. I think at rough roads the hood flexes but because the cowl also flexes it does nothing from supporting the hood. I am thinking in supporting the cowl with some rigid packing foam to stiffen the cowl. See attached picture to get the idea

here is what I am referring. At the middle there is a triangular molded stiffener in which the base is at the top. If you press the weather seal this stiffener does nothing because is not directly at the frame. (see cross section sketch)

rendering 1.jpgrendering 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back