2014 CX-5 Hood TSB?

On the driver's side door pillar where the tire pressure sticker is, there's another sticker with a bunch of info on it. In the top left corner you'll see a date. I assumed that's the manufacturing date.
Thanks. I believe your are correct. In the middle of that sticker it states something about conforming to the standards in effect at time of manufacture "above". I bought mine mid-June and the date on my sticker is 3/13.

I wonder if there's a way to force Mazda to respond to the problem by reporting it to a government agency? Or, maybe if there's a lawyer in this thread, we could threaten to launch a class action suit? I know, that's a bit of an over-reaction but it seems like Mazda is currently oblivious to this issue which is quite frustrating. As a first time Mazda owner who typically hangs on to a car for at least fifteen years, it irritates me that I might have made a bad long-term decision. That's what happens when you believe all the reviews in the auto magazines that, somewhat astonishingly, never see or report these types of engineering mistakes (except for Car & Driver, which did comment on both the mirror and hood shake on their 2013 long-term test CX-5).

Hello, was somebody able to get shacking side mirror fixed on 2014 model? I'm asking because some people states they have got an appointment. Could you share your experience? My TSB is on back up order, ATA unknown. It looks like Mazda don't has a solution for 2014 model yet...

Took my 2014 CX-5 in for it's first oil change yesterday and told them the mirror and hood shaking problems weren't fixed properly last time (they balanced the wheels a few months ago and said that fixed the problem). They adjusted the rubber stops to fix the hood shaking (which I haven't had a chance to confirm if that worked yet) and had to order a part for the mirror. Not sure what the part is but it's supposed to arrive in a couple of days. The service order indicates there is a TSB for the mirror shaking but that might be the 2013 TSB. I'll update this post once I've had the mirror part installed and road tested the CX-5 to see if either or both problems still exist.

Last edited:
For US consumers, https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ can be used to file safety complaints.
The side mirror could be argued to be a safety concern. Hood - not unless you think it can fly off or something.

This is what I found for Canadian residents: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/tp-tp2822-page4_e-276.htm

You are correct that a shaking mirror is considered a safety concern, for Canadians at least, see section 111.1.a here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regulations/regulations-crc-c1038-sch-iv-111.htm

Took my 2014 CX-5 in for it's first oil change yesterday and told them the mirror and hood shaking problems weren't fixed properly last time (they balanced the wheels a few months ago and said that fixed the problem). They adjusted the rubber stops to fix the hood shaking (which I haven't had a chance to confirm if that worked yet) and had to order a part for the mirror. Not sure what the part is but it's supposed to arrive in a couple of days. The service order indicates there is a TSB for the mirror shaking but that might be the 2013 TSB. I'll update this post once I've had the mirror part installed and road tested the CX-5 to see if either or both problems still exist.

Do you know which stops they adjust on the hood? Are they the ones on the body or the hood itself?

I have the hood flutter at highway speeds. I turned each of the stops on the underside of the hood (two) a half turn counter clockwise but cannot tell if they are spinning or actually descending. The ones on the body do not appear to move at all.

All 4 rubber stops rotate for me. Counter clockwise to get them out more.
The dealership, same one which fixed my vibrating mirror, had rotated them almost all the way out. I am pretty sure it was too much and it had minor effect on the trembling.
I actually undid their work, as it was obvious the stops bend below the hood, as there was not enough space for them to stay straight.
I am planning to find the right height by using a sheet of paper and finding the lowest height where the paper is held snug then rotating it an additional ~90 degrees out, to get a tight fitting.
However, I am doubtful this will have much impact on vibrations. I think it may only have a better damping effect, i.e. make vibrations subside quickly.

While many people report their hoods / mirrors are not vibrating and since all 4 different CX-5 vehicles I drove had obvious mirror shake, I find it difficult to reconcile, which makes me believe there are more shaking hoods / mirrors out there (of course, 4 is still a low number, so I could be mistaken).

I wish Mazda had engineered this obvious part better, it is right in the driver's view, perhaps with a light and stiff aluminum hood.

Last edited:
No Cigar

Do you know which stops they adjust on the hood? Are they the ones on the body or the hood itself?

I have the hood flutter at highway speeds. I turned each of the stops on the underside of the hood (two) a half turn counter clockwise but cannot tell if they are spinning or actually descending. The ones on the body do not appear to move at all.

I don't know which ones they adjusted. I test drove my CX-5 on the highway today and the hood flutter is still there. It might be less severe than before but it's hard to tell. When I hit tar seams, though, the hood still bounces just like it did before, probably about 1 to 2 mm at the edge closest to the windshield. So, I think the dealer is, like some of the other dealers mentioned in this forum, trying to fix the problem with minor tweaks because Mazda has not acknowledged that there's an engineering or manufacturing defect.

I'm going to report the defect to Transport Canada because I think that's the only way to get Mazda to respond.

There's Hope!

Dropped my CX-5 off at the dealership today to have the driver's side mirror replaced and the hood shaking problem fixed (again). They just called to say that the mirror has been replaced and there is now a TSB for the hood shaking problem but they've had to order the parts (I assume epoxy, as per the 2013 TSB). Will update this after I test drive the mirror and then again after the hood is repaired. Maybe my input to Transport Canada did something but I suspect the timing is mere coincidence.

Last edited:
Mazda Europe TSB for Mirror Shaking

Following is an excerpt from Mazda's service bulletin for Europe, published in June and then revised in August, 2013, for the mirror shaking problem. I think the bulletin applies to the 2014 models since my VIN is in the highest range stated in the bulletin (although the prefix is slightly different, mine is JM3KE, not JMZKE). Depending on the VIN, there are potentially three different repairs that might need to be tried. The Ref. No. is R042/13A. My suspicion that the vibration is caused by lack of structural rigidity and wind pressure is confirmed by the bulletin (if it's applicable to 2014 models). If the wheels are unbalanced, that could also contribute to the vibation but simply balancing the wheels will not totally fix the problem.

==============
CAUSE
Due to a lack of rigidity of the outer mirror base, the mirror vibrates caused by vehicle vibration or wind pressure.
MASS PRODUCTION CHANGE
TBD
BEGINNING VIN & DATE OF MODIFICATION
TBD
==============

The bulletin is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Service Bulletin R042_13A.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
NEW UPDATE TSB FOR HOOD VIBRATION! Any CX-5 produced before Sep 1, 2013.
TSB Dated 12/10/2013

It's an 11 page TSB, I access on Alldata, they're photos, instead of PDFs, I'm only posting 1st page.
ImageFetcher.jpg

NEW UPDATE TSB FOR HOOD VIBRATION! Any CX-5 produced before Sep 1, 2013.
TSB Dated 12/10/2013

It's an 11 page TSB, I access on Alldata, they're photos, instead of PDFs, I'm only posting 1st page.
View attachment 205875

Great, thanks! Will use this for discussing my noisy hood with dealer.

I haven't noticed this issue on mine yet. There is a way of looking at it and noticing it, if the hood is open?

got my mirror and hood fixed at the dealer, I can say that the mirror is now usable at highway speed, barely any vibration left, nothing that would have concerned me if it would have been like that originally.

The hood is maybe 50 percent fixed, I still see it jumping up and down, just less travel.

I also had my steering wheel position adjustement latch fixed either tightened or padded with something. It used to be a bit loose, and would make a spring like sound when going over certain types of bumps, and when closing my driver side door.
also, when. i tapped it whit my finger, it would make the same bouncy boing noise.

seems to be all good.

Removed insulation panel

My dealer fixed the hood few weeks ago. The fix seems to have reduced the vibrations somewhat but have not eliminated them. The hood will tremble especially when driving over highway patches, the kind you would not slow down for, and sometimes bridge seams, warning strips etc.

Given that the issue was not 100% resolved, I was too curious and today I removed the insulation panel to inspect the work. Here are some photos.
IMG_20140111_182443.jpg
IMG_20140111_182336.jpg
IMG_20140111_182400.jpg

The black material is some type of glue / caulk . It is pretty stiff and holds the parts together pretty good. However, they applied it only on the part closest to the windshield. Most other older glue points were ok. These are of blueish color. There were very few which were missing and I found only one which was broken. This can be seen in one of the images. That section does move somewhat if I apply pressure. Compare to the section with the black glue where there is no movement.

I am not sure of applying glue all around everywhere is the right thing to do. I'll raise it with my dealer on my next regular service.

BTW, I removed the push-in pins carefully with a tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). They are pretty short. I was able to reuse them all with no issue. Be careful not to drop any to the engine bay.

My dealer fixed the hood few weeks ago. The fix seems to have reduced the vibrations somewhat but have not eliminated them. The hood will tremble especially when driving over highway patches, the kind you would not slow down for, and sometimes bridge seams, warning strips etc.

Given that the issue was not 100% resolved, I was too curious and today I removed the insulation panel to inspect the work. Here are some photos.
View attachment 205957
View attachment 205958
View attachment 205959

I read the TSB. It only said to the put the caulk/glue/whatever in the area you took a photo of.

Back