13b cosmo

@Frank20BCosmo

I am pretty sure that the Cosmo box is a Jatco 4N71B. They are pretty common across most Jap cars; 300ZX, Nissan 4WD's etc from the early 90's.

They can be built for big power (extra clutch packs, manual valve bodies etc). There are a fair few places in Aus that can do it; Keas is one of them.

As far as your speedo problem is concerned, it depends on how it is wired. It sounds like the pulse is being changed before it reaches the AT ECU (yep, the transmission is computer controlled which only complicates things.) If you are dead set wanting to use MPH then get something like an Apexi RSM to give you the right speed. This works by intercepting the pulse signal from the AT ECU instead of completely replacing it like what your conversion sounds like it is doing.

The AT ECU is just beside the normal ECU.

Thanks for the info Berty,, I am swapping interiors over shortly so I will change the cheapo KPH convertor out and look in to the Apexi RSM, your right as the one I have is fitted behind the speedo
@13B Cosmo

You're talking about doing a line-locker!? (evil)

A transbrake is a completely different thing. It puts the auto in 1st and Reverse at the same time so you can "stall it up" to bring the turbo's on boost. Once you release the transbrake button, it then disengages reverse and puts all of that stored up energy down the drive shaft. As you can imagine, stalling it up like this can only be done for a few seconds at a time before boiling the trans-fluid. It is pretty easy to put a thermo fan on our trans coolers though.

Two step launches are mainly for manual gearboxes. Using a two step, the car is given a lower rev limit whilst the clutch is engaged / and or whilst in neutral. This rev limit is usually set to something like 4000RPM (peak torque) but it depends on how the car is set-up. Once the car is in gear, the rev limit goes back up to the usual one (7200RPM). So all you need to do with a two step is to mash your foot down on the pedal and wait for the light to go green!

I have a blitz map analyser in my car which can do a type of launch control. I can set different "Volume" and "Gain" levels for by turbo depending on Road speed, RPM and throttle position.

just a thought

http://www.cincitydesigns.com/
fair few on youtube

If we ever need light upgrades. these guys look the business.
If we design them we should design them together.
I'm not after any just yet just a thought as i know theres no aftermarket supplier and the quality of their work seems excellent. you can diy this but why bother.(flash) ofcourse they'll have too pass adr and whatnot.
if one set passes do the rest......

love the crimson eyes.(flame)

also "Palmnet" serial data comms system for ECU-to-ECAT operation.
what is it?

just a thought

http://www.cincitydesigns.com/
fair few on youtube

If we ever need light upgrades. these guys look the business.
If we design them we should design them together.
I'm not after any just yet just a thought as i know theres no aftermarket supplier and the quality of their work seems excellent. you can diy this but why bother.(flash) ofcourse they'll have too pass adr and whatnot.
if one set passes do the rest......

love the crimson eyes.(flame)

Yes I love the rx7 with halo, would have to be white projectors for the uk though as the boys in blue do not like you showing any colours up front only they can show blue lights, also for us boys that drive on the left would have to make sure they point the right way,, I would be up for a set if we get around to it,,

Does anybody else suffer with the rear lights fogging up after washing the car or a damp day ??

also "Palmnet" serial data comms system for ECU-to-ECAT operation.
what is it?

I am no expert on these things electronic,, when I started driving we had a set of points and a condensor under the hood,, however could it be something to do with a palm device that changes the gear change signal from the ECU to the Automatic gearbox ECU ? the speed in which it changes up,, just a thought bit like the power and hold buttons do
(blah) thats all I think it could be, but I will await for somebody to enlighten us both

they never have on mine perhaps the bulb access isnt shut properly. letting it get in i doubt it has come apart anywhere else. both or just the one?

well one worse than the other that being the drivers side,, but it is wierd as now I got the 13B I did think I would swap them over and pinch the 13B light for the 20B,, would you believe it that fogs up as well,, hence why I was asking as both do it..

I thought it might be a common problem and you guys may have come accross it and come up with a solution,,

managed to get some pics of my suspension fo you today I will get them posted up asap,, not adjustable but give the car a nice stance,, quite firm but not teeth shattering firm,, I definately want to get a strut brace though just to see what difference that makes as the roads by me are real twisty and it handles good but it would be good to see the difference with a bit of bracing

Regards

Hi 13B, as promised pics of the suspension sorry about the close ups
done on camera phone but also taken inside my garage,

there is no part numbers I can see on the front suspension but on the rear it has a white sticker with the following numbers on it
J0 02 28700C
can you see the zoom logo on the spring that's what makes me think they are Mazdaspeed units

Regards
Frank

Photo0481.jpg

Photo0482.jpg

Photo0483.jpg

Photo0484.jpg

Photo0486.jpg

who knows the factory allignment specs.
camber castor and toe both front and rear.
need to know what to set it at then i can work from there.

i got mine alligned guessing the settings.. after some hard driving i'v somehow made it start pulling one way again.
I cant stand not holding a steering wheel dead straight.

can it be powersteering related, that what used to be straight has moved either left or right. ie/ slipping belt.

id like to know these settings too. looking to get a full alignment and corner weigh the car when i get my suspension in.

hi guys, ive got a 20b jc and also have a problem of a small amount of water getting in the boot/trunk when it rains, i havent found where its getting in yet but think its from the tail light area. the boot lid seal is good and there is no damp spots in the carpet but when i lift it up there are small puddles of water? does any one have any ideas where its getting in.

hi guys, ive got a 20b jc and also have a problem of a small amount of water getting in the boot/trunk when it rains, i havent found where its getting in yet but think its from the tail light area. the boot lid seal is good and there is no damp spots in the carpet but when i lift it up there are small puddles of water? does any one have any ideas where its getting in.

The usual problem with a leaking boot is the fuel filler drain line getting blocked and then leaking through the electric plunger. Easiest way to unblock it is to get a garden hose, take the end off and put the hose flush with the hole, then pump some high pressure water through it.

I never would have thought of that pipe.
So what about allignment specs?
and what would have caused it to be out after one track day?
I get one free visit.. re allignment.
I used the fd rx7 specs and toned it down a little and increased camber.

What size rear tires do you have?

If I have -3 degrees of camber on the rear, I try and match it with -3 degrees of caster to even out the wear patterns. The higher rear caster amount will also improve rear wheel grip if you are having issues.

I just ordered yokohama avs es100 their real cheap atm from tirerack.
245 45 17 on 8" 255 40 17 on 8.5"

almost bought. bridgestone re55 but a rep from bridgestone said they only will last 5thousand k's (i think closer too 20) not sure if he was considering the sr2 compound.

what about toe. i noticed front tyres slipping.
I think it's best too work off 09 rx8 as its closer too our wheelbase, and yes im running .03 camber. it's good to know about the castor being the same for longevity.

also would a power steering belt slipping cause the alignment too change of the steering wheel. i dont know if theres any relationship.
it was dead straight and is now slightly off. i had a slipping belt at very hard acceleration. happens so rarely i completely forgot I had a problem.
somethings moving i just cant figure out what.

rx8 setting with .03 rear camber ftw. well for starters..
i managed to knock my alignment out in 1000 k's. which was why it wasn't going straight.
and could only get the 1st gen settings, as the 09' model wasn't on record which is much closer in dimensions.
the cosmo is a little longer in wheelbase and wider in width,
instantly had more confidence cornering, it actually has more aggressive turn in than the fd settings.
which is much too short to compare the cosmo too.
I"m just glad i can launch at full throttle again and it seems quicker than before,

Last edited:
ive had 3 wheel alignments in the last 1000 k's. i am not sure if its due to the crappy new zealand roads or if things are just slipping. ive had the rear toe go out then the front caster went and now ive got the same thing, to go straight ive got the wheel turned.
any ideas on best fix? tighten the bolts up really tight?

no nothing can slip only thing other thing it can be is front bushes.
but they last a long time. and you would either get shaking or noises.

I think mine simply wasn't done up tight.
but it lasted a track day half way home I felt it move.
if the car doesn't go dead straight I'd blame alignment.
the steering rack is set straight. and cant be altered unless it's removed.

adjustments made are tightened by a hand wrench, not torqued so they probably didn't apply enough pressure.

many cosmo's in NZ?
I'v seen like 2 on youtube thats about it.
and one on a website.
you have cool roadlaws there for the mostpart (modifying, imports)
except if ur speeding and running from cops u go 2 jail.

anyone know for sure whether the cosmo has dtss?
or even AAS both from the fc but would be interesting to know if they are there or not.

Last edited:
as far as i know they dont have dtss. u dont want that s*** anyways.
In all my research over the years i have never heard a mention of dtss or any similar setup on the cosmo.

Back