118 Miles at delivery??

Man....overspray, dripping paint AND 3 license plate holes?! I feel bad for you....

I'm kinda curious about the headlight and what your insurance could possibly say. I remember when someone backed into my protege5, they scuffed my rear tail light. Probably 2 times more area of what you have on your headlight. The scratches were only scuffs and did not affect the performance of the reflectors or the lights in general. But when the adjuster from the insurance saw it, he said it had to be replaced, because there could not be any damage to any safety equipment, which the rear light was considered. I wonder if that would apply to the headlights too.

I think if you show your new pictures of the scratched headlight, poor paint job and the extra hole in the bumper to Mazda HQ, you could have a stronger case against Fremont Mazda. But at the same time...this is something Fremont would have to take care of...it's just..how do you get Mazda HQ to stand over their shoulder while they do it.

Man....overspray, dripping paint AND 3 license plate holes?! I feel bad for you....

I'm kinda curious about the headlight and what your insurance could possibly say. I remember when someone backed into my protege5, they scuffed my rear tail light. Probably 2 times more area of what you have on your headlight. The scratches were only scuffs and did not affect the performance of the reflectors or the lights in general. But when the adjuster from the insurance saw it, he said it had to be replaced, because there could not be any damage to any safety equipment, which the rear light was considered. I wonder if that would apply to the headlights too.

I think if you show your new pictures of the scratched headlight, poor paint job and the extra hole in the bumper to Mazda HQ, you could have a stronger case against Fremont Mazda. But at the same time...this is something Fremont would have to take care of...it's just..how do you get Mazda HQ to stand over their shoulder while they do it.

Yup.. This is the most terrible experience I had for a new car.

I would not want to deal with insurance either as there is probably a deductible and raising the cost of the insurance unless there's a valid point or something that it's the dealer's fault. The marks on the headlight don't affect the performance much if any. The paint is on the high beam/DRL spot and the scratch/scruff is at the lower point of the headlight, across from high beam to low beam which is somewhat annoying to see.

I emailed the new pictures to Mazda HQ as they are added it to their feedback/case. I really want to have a new bumper and headlight instead of them "repairing" the old bumper/headlight as there would probably still be some scruff/scratch. This car only been home for 5 days so far and I haven't really driven it besides locally (about 8 miles within the 5 days) since I drove it home from Newark, car only have like 240 miles on it right now. I really hope Mazda HQ will step in and do something about this instead of me having to deal with Fremont Mazda, as I would not want to ever see them or let them touch my car AGAIN. I don't even care about the mats and keychain anymore as long as the bumper/headlight is fixed or something. I cannot stand the scratches that seems to be under the clear coat as my polish was unable to remove anything.

Edit: Here's 2 picture (not going to insert img on forum, since it's full size img) of the headlight in different angle. Not sure if you guys can spot the line of scruff or not, but I will point it out. It starts around the word "HB3" and goes across the headlight pretty much. And the red/white paint is visible in this picture also, on the far left, that little speck of it, but not removable when I tried to remove it without scratching the headlight.
http://imageshack.us/a/img580/3025/zru4.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/4954/c5ws.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I thought was weird with the scratches on my rear tail light. They didn't affect anything in regards to performance or use of the light, I would have considered it more cosmetic than anything, but the adjuster said that's enough to warrant a replacement.

When the dealer delivers your car, it should be in NEW condition. Or at least in the condition it was in when you signed the papers. What you have right now is not that condition.

That's what I thought was weird with the scratches on my rear tail light. They didn't affect anything in regards to performance or use of the light, I would have considered it more cosmetic than anything, but the adjuster said that's enough to warrant a replacement.

When the dealer delivers your car, it should be in NEW condition. Or at least in the condition it was in when you signed the papers. What you have right now is not that condition.

Scruffs can usually be polished out I assume, unless it's deep into the headlight/tail light/plastic. But at least it was good that the insurance was willing to replace it.

Yeah, but in this case, Fremont Mazda fails to do so with 2 attempts. I drove it off the 2nd attempt of delivery since it was late and didn't have much light to see everything until when I get it home and it's daylight. Now bright outside, looking at it more carefully, more and more things are being uncovered, making it not a good buying experience due to the condition of the front bumper/headlight area. I didn't get to see the car when I was signing papers as they had to get the car from "somewhere else" *cough* Sacromento and wasn't being told about it.

Well, Mazda HQ just emailed me saying they will talk to Fremont Mazda Service Manager about the issues and tell them to work with me.. Which I really don't want to deal with Fremont Mazda personally, especially having to drive 1 hour+ to get there...

edit: Also, I still haven't received my "free" floor mats + keychain.. which I assume it will never come... :(

Last edited:
No contact from Mazda HQ or Fremont Mazda as of 7/31 since the last email received on 7/26 from Mazda HQ about the issues.

I have not yet receive the floor mats or keychain. I assume the dealer never shipped it out and just told me to go away, lying to me that they will ship it to my house.

I received the online survey for rating the sales/finance/dealer. How will that affect the dealer if anything?

So far, the car drives nicely, just annoyed with the bumper/headlight issue still though.

The surveys are VERY important to the dealer. It is the only way they an quantitatively gauge how they're performing at customer service. Apparently to make sure customers are treated right, the manufactures, or dealers will tie in incentives to the survey scores. So higher scores = more money/bonuses to the dealer or sales people.

Motortrend has a little blog entry about this topic.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/car-salesman-confidential-csi-is-your-hidden-power-27141.html#axzz2akZ11opi

"In short, CSI give customers a constructive way to complain, and a tremendous amount of power. If you ever feel you’re not being treated properly by a dealership, casually mention “The Survey.” The next sound you hear may be their butt puckering.

But, as Stan Lee wrote in “Spider Man”, “along with great power comes great responsibility.”

CSI is a loaded gun. Don’t take your answers lightly. A single bad survey can cost your salesperson money — perhaps, even their job."

So I would answer the survey as honestly as possible, because this is the one of the few official ways the dealer or Mazda HQ will know about your dissatisfaction. So if you're not happy, let them know where it can hurt them.

The surveys are VERY important to the dealer. It is the only way they an quantitatively gauge how they're performing at customer service. Apparently to make sure customers are treated right, the manufactures, or dealers will tie in incentives to the survey scores. So higher scores = more money/bonuses to the dealer or sales people.

Motortrend has a little blog entry about this topic.
http://blogs.motortrend.com/car-salesman-confidential-csi-is-your-hidden-power-27141.html#axzz2akZ11opi

"In short, CSI give customers a constructive way to complain, and a tremendous amount of power. If you ever feel you’re not being treated properly by a dealership, casually mention “The Survey.” The next sound you hear may be their butt puckering.

But, as Stan Lee wrote in “Spider Man”, “along with great power comes great responsibility.”

CSI is a loaded gun. Don’t take your answers lightly. A single bad survey can cost your salesperson money — perhaps, even their job."

So I would answer the survey as honestly as possible, because this is the one of the few official ways the dealer or Mazda HQ will know about your dissatisfaction. So if you're not happy, let them know where it can hurt them.

Thanks. I pretty much did the survey already with pretty low rating overall due to the unsatisfying purchase from Fremont Mazda. Still "waiting" on the free *cough* floor mats and keychain, that's never going to come... The repair on the paint chip won't be "noticeable" when it is done... Yeah, not noticeable but bunch of over-spray.

Still not sure what Mazda HQ can do about the issue besides contacting the dealer which I really do not want to work/deal with. I rather have them transfer me to a local dealer where I live so I don't have to drive back and forth to them and let their bad customer service touch my damn car.

Threaten to sue them if they don't replace the headlight and bumper. You can represent yourself in small claims court for up to $5,000 and have the court send the official letter. That alone should be enough to get them to comply. It's cheaper for to comply than putting in a claim and paying for a lawyer.

Mine had 202 miles on it at delivery, but I was aware of it ahead of time. They drove it from Tampa, FL to Jacksonville, FL so I didn't have to pay the transportation fee.

I actually gave up on it, just take it as the worse buying experience ever and never going back to that dealership. The marks are still there as the headlight overspray is technically not wipeable. Bumper, same deal, nothing I can do to save it. Oh well, the front bumper will get chipped/scratched eventually on the road, but just was unsatisfied since it happened before I even got it and the repair quality wasn't good.

I have previously purchased a car from a dealer. And then had that dealer have the car driven from a dealership 85 miles away.

I wasn't upset...the car was in perfect shape and a few miles, in the long run, meant nothing.

when went to pick up my 2014, it had 330 miles on it. i was ticked. fortunately, i did not put any money down so i simply walked out the door. the experience soured me so much that i have not bought a new car.

I have previously purchased a car from a dealer. And then had that dealer have the car driven from a dealership 85 miles away.

I wasn't upset...the car was in perfect shape and a few miles, in the long run, meant nothing.

If your dealer told you about it, I guess I wouldn't be upset. But the dealer told me nothing about where the car was coming from or how it was getting here.

when went to pick up my 2014, it had 330 miles on it. i was ticked. fortunately, i did not put any money down so i simply walked out the door. the experience soured me so much that i have not bought a new car.

That's good. I think I put about $3,000 down on my car before even seeing the car, was totally not expecting this to happen, but oh well.

I have to add something to this thread in regards to the dealers... when my car arrived and was taken off the trailer it had 6km on the odometer(I drove by the dealership at the same time the trailer pulled in at 11PM on a Sunday and spoke with the delivery guy and looked at the car during that time and it had 6km on the dash)...

Now here is where it becomes interesting, I knew the dealership did not have any 2014.5 GT models in stock and I believe my car was test driven twice even though it was sold to me, since I wasn't able to pick it up the same day due to work commitments (car was picked up Tuesday afternoon at 6PM).

During the shipment two CX5's were delivered one GT and one GT with tech (mine) and they did not have any GT's with tech on the lot for about two weeks prior.

Needless to say the car had 25km upon pickup, which in my opinion is about two test drives on the test drive course which they took me when I test drove a different CX5 and as per Google maps... its exactly 9km... so 6km+9km+9KM= 24km and I picked it up at 25km... My buddy picked one from a different dealership in the city with 8km on dash

Now this is not a deal-breaker or anything, but it sure doesn't leave a sweet taste in my mouth especially since I did not want to pick up a demo model with 4600km on with a bunch of accessories included and opted to wait 3 weeks and get a brand new car...

In the OP's case it sounds like the dealer bought the car at a different dealership and drove it to the dealership where the OP picked it up.

I have to add something to this thread in regards to the dealers... when my car arrived and was taken off the trailer it had 6km on the odometer(I drove by the dealership at the same time the trailer pulled in at 11PM on a Sunday and spoke with the delivery guy and looked at the car during that time and it had 6km on the dash)...

Now here is where it becomes interesting, I knew the dealership did not have any 2014.5 GT models in stock and I believe my car was test driven twice even though it was sold to me, since I wasn't able to pick it up the same day due to work commitments (car was picked up Tuesday afternoon at 6PM).

During the shipment two CX5's were delivered one GT and one GT with tech (mine) and they did not have any GT's with tech on the lot for about two weeks prior.

Needless to say the car had 25km upon pickup, which in my opinion is about two test drives on the test drive course which they took me when I test drove a different CX5 and as per Google maps... its exactly 9km... so 6km+9km+9KM= 24km and I picked it up at 25km... My buddy picked one from a different dealership in the city with 8km on dash

Now this is not a deal-breaker or anything, but it sure doesn't leave a sweet taste in my mouth especially since I did not want to pick up a demo model with 4600km on with a bunch of accessories included and opted to wait 3 weeks and get a brand new car...

In the OP's case it sounds like the dealer bought the car at a different dealership and drove it to the dealership where the OP picked it up.

When I picked mine up, a couple of weeks ago, I made a conscious effort to check the mileage. It had 3 km showing on the odometer (actually 3.9 km, when I compared it the trip odometer which I zeroed before driving it off the lot). This is remarkably low considering it had to driven off the boat in Vancouver and then driven onto a train for the cross-country trek to Toronto before being driven off train and onto carrier. I don't know why yours, being in Vancouver, would have twice as many km as mine when it just had to be taken off the boat.

When I picked mine up, a couple of weeks ago, I made a conscious effort to check the mileage. It had 3 km showing on the odometer (actually 3.9 km, when I compared it the trip odometer which I zeroed before driving it off the lot). This is remarkably low considering it had to driven off the boat in Vancouver and then driven onto a train for the cross-country trek to Toronto before being driven off train and onto carrier. I don't know why yours, being in Vancouver, would have twice as many km as mine when it just had to be taken off the boat.

As I said, the dealer must have used the only GT with tech on the lot for two test drives prior pick up... there is no other explanation besides a joyride to put up approx 19km from when I saw it come off the trailer. Another factor was the gas consumption on the dash indicating 25l/100 km which could be due to two factors a) car sat idling log enough to get to that consumption or b) was used for two test drives where typically the car is pushed

What annoys me is the fact that for a DEMO car, they add some accessories included as it was used for DEMO but in this case 19km were magically added to the odometer and to be honest I didn't notice until after paperwork was done and I drove off when it was too late for me to mention anything... I am still contemplating escalating and writing an email in regards to this issue.... the car was specifically ordered for me not to be used as a demo.

I understand one or two km to be added on the lot when they move it to have it washed and detailed but 19km is a little much considering the size of North Vancouver

OP, if you have any energy left in you about this, maybe try getting help from Oak Tree Mazda in San Jose? The day I bought my car, I found a paint scrape on the edge of the driver's side door about 5 minutes after I got home. When I called about it they gave me no hassles about getting it fixed for free, even though I was a moron and should've noticed before I drove the car off the lot. Their customer service is great and the body shop they used for the scrape did a great job. Or if you're done with the paint job situation, you should consider using them for any other needs that come up. I've been really happy with them so far.

I pretty much gave up on going to dealers, well, Fremont Mazda at least. I'm pretty much done with it, just going to drive the car as is and be happy with the experience driving the CX-5. I know paint/rock chips are not really preventable, it was just annoying to see it at delivery and even after the "repair", there were still flaws in the front end with the overspray onto headlight, non-glossy clear coat (not as shiny as passenger side) on driver side of the bumper, three holes on the bumper for license plate, and buff/prep scratches under the clear coat it seems like as a DA Polisher can't do much in my case. It's been over 7 months already, not much I can do as I already gave up contacting with Mazda HQ after about a month or so of contacting and telling me they will contact the dealer which nothing really seemed to happened.

Have to leave with what I have, at least it isn't noticeable at a far distance, only close up if you look at the specific areas I mentioned. Have yet to figure out how to remove the excess wax/polish they used at delivery also since it's still stained on the black trims.

I pretty much gave up on going to dealers, well, Fremont Mazda at least. I'm pretty much done with it, just going to drive the car as is and be happy with the experience driving the CX-5. I know paint/rock chips are not really preventable, it was just annoying to see it at delivery and even after the "repair", there were still flaws in the front end with the overspray onto headlight, non-glossy clear coat (not as shiny as passenger side) on driver side of the bumper, three holes on the bumper for license plate, and buff/prep scratches under the clear coat it seems like as a DA Polisher can't do much in my case. It's been over 7 months already, not much I can do as I already gave up contacting with Mazda HQ after about a month or so of contacting and telling me they will contact the dealer which nothing really seemed to happened.

Have to leave with what I have, at least it isn't noticeable at a far distance, only close up if you look at the specific areas I mentioned. Have yet to figure out how to remove the excess wax/polish they used at delivery also since it's still stained on the black trims.

runtohell121, I feel your pain... I purchased my CX-5 last weekend from Fremont Mazda and I agree they seem like a shady dealership.

I learned what to watch out for from my past experience at Menlo Mazda in Redwood City. Long story short, Menlo inflated my monthly payment figure on my Mazda3 and told me they had a special coupon that would "magically" reduce my interest rate if I bought a $500 alarm, which I did but then promptly went back a few days later to cancel it once I figured out the scam.

Luckily I came through OK from Fremont Mazda since all my negotiation was through email, but I'd rather not do business with them again. I wanted to trade in the 3 when I bought the CX-5 and the salesguy came back with an AutoCheck report saying it had 2 prior accidents. Nevermind that they were minor ones (less than $1K in repairs), he said they couldn't sell it at all and would have to auction it off. He offered $1800 for it (KBB has it at $5300 trade-in value) and I thought he was joking. When I came back a week later to actually buy the CX-5, he came back to me at $4000, then right before I left it went all the way up to $5100. How can the value go up $3300 in a matter of days? (uhm)

Also, everytime I arrived there was always a group of salesguys out front just hanging out and smoking, way to be professional. And I was there for almost 3 hours, mostly just waiting around for them to finalize and approve everything. My guy didn't even give me a tour of the new car or anything, just gave me the keys and said "any questions?". By that time I was like just give me the keys and I'll figure it out myself.

Latest posts

Back