118 Miles at delivery??

you can search Mazda inventory online at: http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/vlStart.action But sometimes cars show up on there that aren't actually in the dealers inventory yet.

Also it may not have been the only one in Northern California but it might have been the only place they could find a dealer that was willing to trade theirs away. Dealers aren't always willing to trade away a hot seller.

I understand how the mileage can make it seem less 'new' but with modern cars, the way they are built and how long they last 118 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. And once you start driving it you'll be finding excuses to drive it more and those miles will be so far in the past really fast. And 115 miles of freeway driving seems better to me than half that many miles of test driving.

I also know the feeling of being deceived with the mileage but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they just botched their guess on how far away Sacramento was when they did the paperwork. Everyone has different priorities and what they are willing to fight for but if it were me I'd make sure they did the chip repair properly, get what free items they were willing to toss in and move on and enjoy the car. But that is just me.

I've heard horror stories on dealer trades and stories of where it went flawless. One I hadn't thought of before is the person I know who drove the trade to the other dealer and drove their new car back to the selling dealer. That is one way to make sure it is done right.

And believe me, I understand negative feelings towards salespeople and dealerships when car buying. We won't even consider an Audi after the way we were treated at their dealership. And we walked away from several purchases over the years when they insisted on playing games or were shocked that $3,000 over MSRP on a Buick was too much for us.
I'd just hate to see a really good car tainted from the start with bad feelings over an error of 50 miles.

I hope that they did the repair correctly for sure.. and not too noticeable. The free accessories was only a word promised from the financial manager at Fremont Mazda so I really hope I do get the items also. I know highway mileage would be better than test drives but still kind of upset of how high the mileage was on the car upon pick up/inspection since it's a new car. This is the 2nd new car buying experience but unsatisfying since I didn't get to put the mileage on the car myself unlike my Insight where the car had roughly 22 miles or so and I get to put the miles on the car myself.

I personally like the feeling of the car going to triple digit and so on for new cars as I still feel the same way on the Insight since it's slowly approaching 40k.

But I guess I can't do much about it, will just accept the car and move on upon next inspection/pick up after the paint chip repair.

The paint chip and the car not being properly detailed, and not getting your window sticker (if you asked), are what Mazda will be looking in to. The mileage, not so much. The dealer should make sure you're happy, they make they're money on service. You'd be surprised how low the profit margin is on the sale of "just" the car. I got to see the dealer invoice on EVERY car I swapped. I used to shake my head and wonder how they survived....They make their money when you're sitting with the finance manager. They get a chunk when you finance through them (lower rates can still be to your advantage). They get another chunk when you by a service package, and another when you get a clear coat and upholstery protectant. Still more when you buy the extended warranty.. and the list goes on....I'm trading my '13 GT for a '14 GT Saturday, it will have 120 miles on it. I'll spend five minutes with the finance manager, I will get none of the above........Nothing but the car, please!

The paint chip and the car not being properly detailed, and not getting your window sticker (if you asked), are what Mazda will be looking in to. The mileage, not so much. The dealer should make sure you're happy, they make they're money on service. You'd be surprised how low the profit margin is on the sale of "just" the car. I got to see the dealer invoice on EVERY car I swapped. I used to shake my head and wonder how they survived....They make their money when you're sitting with the finance manager. They get a chunk when you finance through them (lower rates can still be to your advantage). They get another chunk when you by a service package, and another when you get a clear coat and upholstery protectant. Still more when you buy the extended warranty.. and the list goes on....I'm trading my '13 GT for a '14 GT Saturday, it will have 120 miles on it. I'll spend five minutes with the finance manager, I will get none of the above........Nothing but the car, please!

I didn't really say much about the detailing of the car to Mazda HQ, but on my personal view, I still see bug marks on headlight and bumper, tailgate isn't dried completely when I inspected it. Yeah, the finance manager sold me on the warranty. It was either 2.9% APR or 0.9% APR + warranty which monthly payment came out about the same, just like $5 difference per month.

I didn't really say much about the detailing of the car to Mazda HQ, but on my personal view, I still see bug marks on headlight and bumper, tailgate isn't dried completely when I inspected it. Yeah, the finance manager sold me on the warranty. It was either 2.9% APR or 0.9% APR + warranty which monthly payment came out about the same, just like $5 difference per month.

Don't get me wrong about all the "extras". Their just not for everybody. I was just trying to show you how the dealership REALLY makes their money. If you're going to keep the car for a long time, the extended warranty along with the low finance fee, could be perfect for you. What I'm saying is that they MADE more money on those two things than they made on the sale (profit) of the car.

So congrats and enjoy your new vehicle, you should have many years of happy motoring!....When you look back at the 118 mile issue....It won't be an issue.:)

Don't get me wrong about all the "extras". Their just not for everybody. I was just trying to show you how the dealership REALLY makes their money. If you're going to keep the car for a long time, the extended warranty along with the low finance fee, could be perfect for you. What I'm saying is that they MADE more money on those two things than they made on the sale (profit) of the car.

So congrats and enjoy your new vehicle, you should have many years of happy motoring!....When you look back at the 118 mile issue....It won't be an issue.:)

Yeah, I understand.

Thanks, hopefully I will get a phone call from them soon and be able to inspect the car and not see anymore issues on it... Otherwise, I'm stuck with rental for another few days lol.

Yeah, the finance manager sold me on the warranty. It was either 2.9% APR or 0.9% APR + warranty which monthly payment came out about the same, just like $5 difference per month.

I hate to tell you this, but that's one of the finance guy's oldest tricks.
You qualify for for the low rate, and they tell you that they can only get that low rate if you agree to add on several thousands of dollars of warranty.
Think about it...
If you weren't able to qualify for the car at the low interest rate in the first place, how in the world will you suddenly qualify for the low interest rate with several thousand more dollars added to the price of the car?

Call up the finance guy, and tell him to rip up the whole contract, as you're no longer satisfied with the condition of the car, their scummy financing process, or the miles on it.
Then buy the car from another dealer.

BC.

I only was going to buy MT CX-5. Since the dealer I went to had none in stock, they got one from another dealer. Mine had 100 miles when delivered.

I hate to tell you this, but that's one of the finance guy's oldest tricks.
You qualify for for the low rate, and they tell you that they can only get that low rate if you agree to add on several thousands of dollars of warranty.
Think about it...
If you weren't able to qualify for the car at the low interest rate in the first place, how in the world will you suddenly qualify for the low interest rate with several thousand more dollars added to the price of the car?

Call up the finance guy, and tell him to rip up the whole contract, as you're no longer satisfied with the condition of the car, their scummy financing process, or the miles on it.
Then buy the car from another dealer.

BC.

I figured... He said he had to use a "coupon" which I doubt... All the Fremont Mazda employees were telling us that lowest would be 3.9 or 2.9% unless you had a credit score of 840+... and we were somewhat like wtf...

My only concern is wasting time at another dealer and negotiating the price down because on internet quotes, majority of the dealers had a ~$800-$1.2k higher price OTD than Fremont Mazda.

I only was going to buy MT CX-5. Since the dealer I went to had none in stock, they got one from another dealer. Mine had 100 miles when delivered.

I assume you knew where it was coming from and how they were getting it to their dealer?

edit: Is it possible to just canceled the extended warranty and still hold the 0.9% APR via Mazda? And if so, how much would I be credited back?

Last edited:
I've always had less than 10 miles on the clock on all of my new cars, even pre reg ones.

I wouldn't accept the car if it had been driven to the dealer, you can't tell how it was driven. that's just me and i'd worry about it.

I've always had less than 10 miles on the clock on all of my new cars, even pre reg ones.

I wouldn't accept the car if it had been driven to the dealer, you can't tell how it was driven. that's just me and i'd worry about it.

Less than 50 miles, I'm usually fine with, but 65 was a stretch already, finding out it was actually 118 miles..

Also, now I find Fremont Mazda sketchy... Probably will contact Mazda HQ again about the way the finance situation was handled. Already contacted them about the chipped paint, registered mile different from pick up miles, and unsatisfication upon inspection.

When I bought my wife a new 2014 cx5 grand touring the dealer set up cars for test drives. Once I decided I liked it I picked out one that was never driven. Had 3 miles on the odometer. I told them to prep it and once I dove it I would sign the papers. They complied and 3700 miles latter the car has been flawless.

OP that chip you have is pretty deep. Unless they are willing to paint the entire area over you will notice the repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to make this a Mazda forum lol, but when I bought my wife a new 2014 cx5 grand touring the dealer set up cars for test drives. Once I decided I liked it I picked out one that was never driven. Had 3 miles on the odometer. I told them to prep it and once I dove it I would sign the papers. They complied and 3700 miles latter the car has been flawless.

OP that chip you have is pretty deep. Unless they are willing to paint the entire hood over you will notice the repair.

Any chance they are willing to replace the whole bumper just because of that little chip? I already contacted Mazda HQ about them and they said they will follow up and contact the dealer, though they're contacting Maita Mazda in Sacromento since that's where the car was originally from... I hope Mazda HQ will be forwarded to Fremont Mazda and get things settled or what ever they can do to make a customer satisfy with a purchase of a Mazda.

I have yet to send Mazda HQ picture of the chipped bumper and paperwork if requested. I hope things will get sorted out as I'm suppose to be picking up the car tomorrow for a final inspection.

Is it normal for a brand "new" car to have 118 miles at delivery? I did all the paper work and such yesterday and went to pick up the car today since they had to get it from another dealer (didn't really tell me where, just Northern California). When I signed the papers, they estimated 65 miles..

I bought my CX-5 from Sil-TerHar in Broomfield Colorado on May 31st, last day of the month, a Friday night, and after emailing and working the phones I showed up at 6pm to close the deal.

When I arrived we started doing paperwork while the car was being transported. While doing the paperwork, I asked about miles to ensure it didn't have 500 miles on it *from a dozen bad test drivers*. He called his driver and got a number back which I found acceptable.

After doing some paperwork, the car arrived and he suggested we go out and review it. I started looking for problems like your paint chip and noticed the car hadn't been washed and that it had some white powdery scuffs on the doors and some of the seat fabric.

HE was the one who pointed out a chip in the windshield and immediately stated that they would *replace* the windshield. This definitely didn't improve my mood, but at this point, I need the car and I'm halfway through it. I've had windshields replaced before. I'm always nervous about it but it has always ended up being completely fine afterwards. So I decided to just get it in writing and hold them to it.

After completing all the paperwork, the sales person took the car to fuel it up with a full tank of gas. He wiped the seats, the doors and washed the car. My car had 72 miles on it: not as low as right off the truck, but low enough that it hadn't been abused by anyone. A week later their auto glass company drove 60 miles to my office to replace my windshield. The dealer delivered accessories and installed my roof rails on time.

I don't really care for car dealers but this thread is an appropriate occasion to mention my dealer by name and appreciate them for handling everything well and taking care of me.

I think in your case the dealer should have communicated better with you regarding the miles. They could easily tell you the miles the car had on it before delivery and approximately how many more miles would be on it when you drive it off the lot. If you knew that and were OK with it, that issue would be moot. But 118 isn't bad considering you'll drive this to 100,000 or more. Somebody will.

As for the paint chip: Your dealer most likely didn't know about it in the same way mine didn't know about my windshield crack. I think you should focus on what they do to make up for it and be reasonable about what will satisfy you. Be reasonable, make it clear to them, and let them meet it. That's fair.

I hope that in 30, 60 or 90 days you'll find yourself washing a dozen bugs off your car, happily enjoying it and able to overlook one small paint chip. Later, when you have two, or three, you definitely will forget about it.

Cheers,

http://www.sthmazda.com/tcd/home/?tcdkwid=47631720&tcdcmpid=85809&tcdadid=20720952298&locale=en_US

I feel fortunate how the day of purchase it all came together. I had been working slowly with Jim Ellis Marietta over a period of weeks while still contemplating everything and on Memorial Day (a busy day for the dealership) I called out of the blue and said I was ready to make the deal. The only issue was they did not have the color that I wanted in the Touring model and I pointed out where there was one across Atlanta that closely fit the attributes and pricing. They agreed and the sales agent himself went over got the vehicle, brought it back and told me what time I could come in after they went over the vehicle and prepped it.

The first thing I did before even sitting down to do paperwork was to inspect the car's condition and take it out for a test drive to see if there were any rattles or other issues. It checked out fine. It had 25 miles on it so it must have been really low since he drove it across the city. They even took the window sales sticker off, folded it and put it in the glove box. (someone mentioned looking at the window sticker earlier)

Like maxwax, I just wanted to give kudos to Jim Ellis Mazda for how they worked to make it a pleasant experience especially with taking time to get the car from a different dealership, preparing it and having someone available to go out on a test drive when the building was loaded with people trying to get an end of month Memorial Day purchase. This was my 2nd purchase from this dealership. After reading this thread it make me appreciate them even more.

To the OP, I hope things will all get worked out so that you can enjoy the new car.

Last edited:
I bought my CX-5 from Sil-TerHar in Broomfield Colorado on May 31st, last day of the month, a Friday night, and after emailing and working the phones I showed up at 6pm to close the deal.

When I arrived we started doing paperwork while the car was being transported. While doing the paperwork, I asked about miles to ensure it didn't have 500 miles on it *from a dozen bad test drivers*. He called his driver and got a number back which I found acceptable.

After doing some paperwork, the car arrived and he suggested we go out and review it. I started looking for problems like your paint chip and noticed the car hadn't been washed and that it had some white powdery scuffs on the doors and some of the seat fabric.

HE was the one who pointed out a chip in the windshield and immediately stated that they would *replace* the windshield. This definitely didn't improve my mood, but at this point, I need the car and I'm halfway through it. I've had windshields replaced before. I'm always nervous about it but it has always ended up being completely fine afterwards. So I decided to just get it in writing and hold them to it.

After completing all the paperwork, the sales person took the car to fuel it up with a full tank of gas. He wiped the seats, the doors and washed the car. My car had 72 miles on it: not as low as right off the truck, but low enough that it hadn't been abused by anyone. A week later their auto glass company drove 60 miles to my office to replace my windshield. The dealer delivered accessories and installed my roof rails on time.

I don't really care for car dealers but this thread is an appropriate occasion to mention my dealer by name and appreciate them for handling everything well and taking care of me.

I think in your case the dealer should have communicated better with you regarding the miles. They could easily tell you the miles the car had on it before delivery and approximately how many more miles would be on it when you drive it off the lot. If you knew that and were OK with it, that issue would be moot. But 118 isn't bad considering you'll drive this to 100,000 or more. Somebody will.

As for the paint chip: Your dealer most likely didn't know about it in the same way mine didn't know about my windshield crack. I think you should focus on what they do to make up for it and be reasonable about what will satisfy you. Be reasonable, make it clear to them, and let them meet it. That's fair.

I hope that in 30, 60 or 90 days you'll find yourself washing a dozen bugs off your car, happily enjoying it and able to overlook one small paint chip. Later, when you have two, or three, you definitely will forget about it.

Cheers,

http://www.sthmazda.com/tcd/home/?tcdkwid=47631720&tcdcmpid=85809&tcdadid=20720952298&locale=en_US

Yeah, if the dealer told me where it was coming from and how far it was, I wouldn't be as upset as right now. I was only given an estimate of 65 miles. During my purchase, I had spoken with more than 5 employees I believe or even more... 118 isn't too bad, just a bit upsetting that the dealer didn't say anything about it until I saw it myself. I live 90 miles away from Fremont Mazda, getting it home would rack up the miles to 200+ already..

On inspection, the guy just gave me the keys, showed me the trunk and left.. I had to find another employee or find him again to show him the chipped paint.

s*** I got lucky, mine had 3 miles on it.

I believe my car would have only 3 miles or so if they didn't drive it all the way from Sacromento (115 miles) to Newark. The total miles on the car was 118.. so I guess my car had 3 miles and wasn't really test driven.

I feel fortunate how the day of purchase it all came together. I had been working slowly with Jim Ellis Marietta over a period of weeks while still contemplating everything and on Memorial Day (a busy day for the dealership) I called out of the blue and said I was ready to make the deal. The only issue was they did not have the color that I wanted in the Touring model and I pointed out where there was one across Atlanta that closely fit the attributes and pricing. They agreed and the sales agent himself went over got the vehicle, brought it back and told me what time I could come in after they went over the vehicle and prepped it.

The first thing I did before even sitting down to do paperwork was to inspect the car's condition and take it out for a test drive to see if there were any rattles or other issues. It checked out fine. It had 25 miles on it so it must have been really low since he drove it across the city. They even took the window sales sticker off, folded it and put it in the glove box. (someone mentioned looking at the window sticker earlier)

Like maxwax, I just wanted to give kudos to Jim Ellis Mazda for how they worked to make it a pleasant experience especially with taking time to get the car from a different dealership, preparing it and having someone available to go out on a test drive when the building was loaded with people trying to get an end of month Memorial Day purchase. This was my 2nd purchase from this dealership. After reading this thread it make me appreciate them even more.

To the OP, I hope things will all get worked out so that you can enjoy the new car.

Your dealer sounds like it's a great dealer, working with the customers.

Thanks, I hope so too. Mazda HQ is contacting Fremont Mazda today and tell them to speak with me.. Though I doubt that will do anything since Fremont Mazda already spoken with me upon first inspection and only threw in floor mats and I think a keychain.. I don't know what Mazda HQ can do though besides contact dealer and see what was going on.

On inspection, the guy just gave me the keys, showed me the trunk and left.. I had to find another employee or find him again to show him the chipped paint.

My sales person not only inspected the car with me before the deal was complete, he wrote up a "Will Do" list while I was with the manager completing the deal. IOW, I didn't have to push them, they were already on it.

When I was ready to take the keys and leave, the sales person then guided me through a complete 25 minute tour of the car. I didn't expect this at all - I was expecting an experience similar yours. The tour was mostly a review of standard car functions and some things that I had already learned of (like the back seat releases in the trunk area) but it did introduce me to a few things I didn't know about. This was a nice standard procedure to do with a new buyer and I was impressed that this was happening at 8pm on a Friday night as the dealership was shutting down.

Which leads me to think that the root of your problem is probably not the miles and the paint chip but the overall feel of the experience and how it differs from what you expected. When you spend this much money ($28k in my case) on anything, you want reassurance and comfort during the process that you made a smart choice and bought from the right place. Little imperfections in the buying process (like my windshield) introduce doubt and worry and if you let it grow you'll be angry about the whole thing. Now that my windshield was replaced exactly as they promised I have nothing bad to say about my dealer.

Despite your less than perfect experience, you are still the owner of a Mazda CX-5! It's still the class-leading, review-winning vehicle that you shopped for. Put this dealer experience behind you, find another dealer to work with and enjoy your car! You made the right choice and it sounds like you still got a good deal compared to the other dealers.

My sales person not only inspected the car with me before the deal was complete, he wrote up a "Will Do" list while I was with the manager completing the deal. IOW, I didn't have to push them, they were already on it.

When I was ready to take the keys and leave, the sales person then guided me through a complete 25 minute tour of the car. I didn't expect this at all - I was expecting an experience similar yours. The tour was mostly a review of standard car functions and some things that I had already learned of (like the back seat releases in the trunk area) but it did introduce me to a few things I didn't know about. This was a nice standard procedure to do with a new buyer and I was impressed that this was happening at 8pm on a Friday night as the dealership was shutting down.

Which leads me to think that the root of your problem is probably not the miles and the paint chip but the overall feel of the experience and how it differs from what you expected. When you spend this much money ($28k in my case) on anything, you want reassurance and comfort during the process that you made a smart choice and bought from the right place. Little imperfections in the buying process (like my windshield) introduce doubt and worry and if you let it grow you'll be angry about the whole thing. Now that my windshield was replaced exactly as they promised I have nothing bad to say about my dealer.

Despite your less than perfect experience, you are still the owner of a Mazda CX-5! It's still the class-leading, review-winning vehicle that you shopped for. Put this dealer experience behind you, find another dealer to work with and enjoy your car! You made the right choice and it sounds like you still got a good deal compared to the other dealers.

Mostly due to the experience and dealer/employees not telling me much about the car being swapped and where it's coming from which I should know since I'm the purchaser of the car... and also a bit sketchy with the APR situation. I think Fremont Mazda is a bunch of slackers, they have about 10-15 employees in the sales department and not much customers at their dealership, but still takes forever to get one task done. Maybe 1 or 2 of them had decent service/communication with me, but the rest is just like whatever.

The person who gave me the key wasn't someone that I spoke with at all on the day of signing the contracts and stuff. So he just literally gave me the keys, opened the trunk and tell me I'm set to leave. I assume because he wasn't the one who deal with me the day before so he didn't care much.

When I picked up my mazda CX 5 the salesman had me sit in the seat and gave me a 20 minute tutorial as to all the controls,etc. he even programmed the Bluetooth with my iPhone . My husband and I have in the last 5 years bought 5 new cars ( Hondas and toyotas) and this was the best experience of them all. We got an awesome price and great price for trade-in. Would highly recommend Westchester Mazda and the salesman was Lester Li.

Back