What was your first computer?

Dexter said:
The way programs were written back then, they heavily relied on using the processor clock speed for timing functions. So, if you had a game that ran fine at 8MHz, but were running at "turbo" 33MHz, the game would be rediculously fast. The turbo button was there mainly to slow the computer down if you needed.

ahhh, yes. i remember when you completed solitaire, the cards would fly at lightning speed.

That makes 3 of us.

chuyler1 said:
We were having this discussion at work today and I thought it would be fun to continue it here.

Not counting the Apple IIe my mom use to bring home from school for the summer, my first computer was a Macintosh Performa 575. 33MHz, 8MB RAM, 250MB HD.

apple_performa_500.gif

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_575.html

vic20.jpg

1 MHz! 3.5K of user RAM! Datasette! Staying up till 3AM typing in hex code from the back of Compute's Gazette! Writing a BASIC program to play the theme to "Hill Street Blues"!
<table align="left" border="0" hspace="10"> <tbody><tr><td bgcolor="#ffffbb">
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

haha hell yes... i used to play batman at lightning speed.
Dexter said:
The way programs were written back then, they heavily relied on using the processor clock speed for timing functions. So, if you had a game that ran fine at 8MHz, but were running at "turbo" 33MHz, the game would be rediculously fast. The turbo button was there mainly to slow the computer down if you needed.

Wow...my dad worked for digital computers, so I had them in the house from as far back as I can remember. I remember playing that damn cannon game where you set angle and trajectory and s*** to hit the other cannon. I also remember having "The Sierra Network" WAAAAY back in the day....Prodigy times...anyone have Prodigy? That BIG ass modem hahaha

Sounds like I have you all beat so far anyway. My first computer was a Leading Edge 8088 IBM compatible, no hard drive just had two 5 1/4 in. 360k floppy drives and a monochrome monitor.

pentium 200 MMX(used to be a big deal back then) with 32 mb of ram and a 3.2gb hard disk and a 15 inch moniter and a 1mb video card.

TRS-80. It was sweet.

I also had one of the original IBM PC's before they were available to the public. My father worked at IBM at the time and the executives could purchase stuff before it was out. 4.77Mhz, 640k RAM. Cost $5000. Not kidding.

vic 20 was #1

#2 was a TRS-80 here as well. I remember when I upgraded to to 32k. 5 1/4 drives for it were over $500.00 Us. I had a tape cassette with the old manual counter on it that I had to line up to load something.

Next was the C64. Best gaming rig in it's day.

TRS-80 when I was 9 or 10 years old. It came with this big manual with programming codes in the back. If you spent like an hour entering line after line of code you would get a stick man walking across a black screen or something stupid. I was so pissed the first time I wasted an hour doing that. And you were just screwed if you entered one letter incorrectly. I swore I would never use a computer again. 2nd computer (first one I actually used) was an Apple 7200.

Tandy 1000TX
dual speed 286 processor- could run at 4 or 8 megahertz
640k of ram
3.5"(double density, but not high density) and 5.25" drive.
It came with no hardrive, but we had a 20meg harddrive installed. It seemed like we'd never run out of disk space. That computer was so badass when we first got it.

my dad got one of these from his brother when i was like 10 or something, it was a piece of s***.

Coleco Adam it hooked up to your tv, sold it in a garage sale for like 10 bucks
coleco_adam.jpg

he also got a Colecovision, i kinda wish i still had that s*** now
coleco_colecovision_3s.jpg

Back