New to Forum and seeking advice (looking into purchasing a 2024 CX-5)

Hello, I am looking into purchasing a 2024 CX-5, but do not feel comfortable purchasing a vehicle where transmission fluid never needs to be serviced or changed. I drive almost 20,000 miles per year, and am hoping to get 200,000 miles out of the car. I am currently driving a 2012 Honda with 243,000 miles on it. Part of the reason it has lasted this long is because I made sure to get oil changes when it was time to do so, as well as change the transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so.
Responses from anyone with high mileage on their CX-5s (150k miles or more) about this would be very much appreciated. Is this something I should be concerned about?

Manufacturing a vehicle that "never needs" changing of the transmission fluid is a wishful fantasy, on the part of the builders. Ain't gonna happen, so long as metal rubs against metal, no matter how deeply they wish it. Just the way it is.

In short, once the warranty period's dead and gone, it's no skin off their noses. So, easily said.

As you've done with your other vehicle(s), I'd suggest picking an opportune mileage to periodically change the fluid and you should be fine.

I've had a few high-mileage vehicles previously. Volkswagen also claimed a "lifetime" fluid with their transmission/diff, though I assumed that what this really meant was "so long as the warranty period lasted = lifetime." Same with a couple of Mazdas, and a Honda. Every 60-80Kmi the transmission fluid was changed on each of them. If for no other reason than peace of mind. But I'm convinced that better lubricity and newer viscosity had to have made a positive difference in each of those vehicles, though I can't say for certain since I never did a lab analysis of the transmission/diff fluids on them.

When changing the fluid, be sure to install a new filter as well.

Mazda dealers refuse to change the trans fluid when the powertrain warranty is in effect.
Once the car is out of warranty they will change the fluid. At least my dealer anyway.
Guess it's a corporate Mazda thing.

You can always do it yourself or buy the fluid and have an indy shop do it.

Using the correct ( Mazda FZ) transmission fluid is critical. You wouldn't want to have some "indy shop" use some 'good for all makes and models' because it's 'compatible' and cheaper. Mazda fluid is more expensive and you may want to supply it (as mentioned above). That's if they will use customer supplied fluid. There is a lot of discussion about this, accessible using the search function.

Our old now our son's 2016 CX5 GT has over 150K miles on it. We did a transmission drain and fill at 50K, 75K and most recently 143K. I also did did a drain and tranny filter replacement at 105K miles.

The transmission shifts great with no slippage. Actually, the entire car still drives pretty tight even with that many miles on it. The only problem we ever had was the serpentine belt tensioner failed at around 80K miles. However, Mazda did a redesign of it so I don't think that will happen again anytime soon.

I'm expecting the car to make it to 200K miles and probably a lot more without any major issues. Hope this helps.

Hello, I am looking into purchasing a 2024 CX-5, but do not feel comfortable purchasing a vehicle where transmission fluid never needs to be serviced or changed. I drive almost 20,000 miles per year, and am hoping to get 200,000 miles out of the car. I am currently driving a 2012 Honda with 243,000 miles on it. Part of the reason it has lasted this long is because I made sure to get oil changes when it was time to do so, as well as change the transmission fluid every 50,000 miles or so.
Responses from anyone with high mileage on their CX-5s (150k miles or more) about this would be very much appreciated. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Although Mazda hasn’t recommended the ATF change in its maintenance schedule, but you can easily change it by your self with preferred mileage interval and there’s a drain plug and fill hole with dipstick designed into the automatic transmission casing.

My concern wouldn’t be the transmission but the engines currently available for the CX-5. The 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation is potentially having cracked cylinder head with oil leak. The percentage may be small but the possibility is there and it would cost you an arm and a leg to fix it without warranty. The 2.5T was having similar cracked head problem with coolant leak, but Mazda had modified the cylinder head and the exhaust manifold gasket since 2020 MY, but only the time will tell how effective the modification is.

The transmission shouldn’t be your concern but the engine is.

Back