Transmission Fluid Change at 110,000 Miles? 2014 AWD CX-5

I bought a 2014 Mazda CX-5 AWD Sport with 102,000 miles on it and according to the service history, the transmission fluid has never been changed. I know my vehicle has the lifetime fluid in it, so should I bother changing my fluid now that the car is reaching 110,000 miles on it? The owner's manual says nothing about changing the transmission fluid but that's only up to 60,000 miles. I'm a little worried I'll change the fluid and then something will go wrong with the transmission. If I change it, should I do a drain and fill or remove the filter too?

Even when I change the filter there’s still going to be some old trans fluid in the torque converter. My local Mazda dealership says they never open the transmission they just do a drain and fill.
Exactly. And that's fine. With a drain and fill, you get about 1/3rd of it changed out.

Plus, if you change the filter, you get even a little more out, plus you can clean the magnet. That's always a bonus.

Upvote 0
I would.

I drain and fill my ATF every 30k miles, and drop the pan, change the filter, and clean the magnet every 60k.

I use Wix filters because they come with a gasket. Fel-pro makes a gasket as well.

Upvote 0
Drain-n-refill 2-3 times.
On the last time, change the filter.
That is, if you intend to keep it for a few years.

Lifetime?
Automakers mean that the fluid has no change schedule.
It lasts through the warranty period.
After that, not their concern, but yours.

Upvote 0
Drain-n-refill 2-3 times.
On the last time, change the filter.
That is, if you intend to keep it for a few years.

Lifetime?
Automakers mean that the fluid has no change schedule.
It lasts through the warranty period.
After that, not their concern, but yours.
With my situation, drain and refill at which intervals?

Upvote 0
With my situation, drain and refill at which intervals?
The fluid was drained and filled at 60,000KM.

Then, mechanic changed both the transmission strainer (fiter) and fluid on my 6 speed auto for the at 160,000km. Again at around 190,000KM. The transmission shifted so much better after both these services.

It was changed the third at 240,000KM.

At around 280,000KM, something didn't feel right. I decided to take it in for a fourth transmission service. Mechanic revealed that previous guy who worked on it didn't put the magnet back in.

I also had another drain and fill done recently, (300,000KM)

As you can imagine, the transmission shifts quite well, the internals are clean and cared for.

What I learned, and my advice to you:

Go to a transmission shop. Have them change the strainer and fluid as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
Just did the transmission fluid and filter change. 4.8 L came out when I dropped the pan. The fluid was dark black and the filter was black. The magnet was covered with some black stuff. I am at 51k miles, and the shifting is so smooth now without any hanging or rough shifts.
I am going to do the drain and refill from now on until my next fluid and filter change at 100k miles.

Upvote 0
What I learned, and my advice to you:

Go to a transmission shop. Have them change the strainer and fluid as soon as possible.
If you can change engine oil, you can change transmission fluid. It's super easy. No need to pay hundreds of dollars to a shop for something you can do yourself for $60.

Upvote 0
Back