Dealer recommended transmission fluid exchange for 2016 CX-5

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Went in for an oil change on my '16 CX-5 with about 80k. I asked them if you have to do a transmission drain and fill on these cars. The dealer recommended a transmission fluid exchange which is a flush according to them. They also recommended that it should be done every 60k. However, I have been going to dealers with the cx-5 for all oil changes and in the past, they never recommended any sort of transmission service. Also, the cost is $350. I didn't do it though because a flush worries me. I'll just take it to my independent mechanic who will do a drain and fill.

Drain and fill every 30k is what I do, and every 60k I drop the pan and change the filter.

This is actually a pretty easy job. No harder than an oil change. Only difference is, the splash shield has to be removed to access the drain plug. But, if you get smart, a judiciously placed hole saw and you don't even have to do that!

Drain and fill every 30k is what I do, and every 60k I drop the pan and change the filter.

This is actually a pretty easy job. No harder than an oil change. Only difference is, the splash shield has to be removed to access the drain plug. But, if you get smart, a judiciously placed hole saw and you don't even have to do that!
Where do you get the filter from?

O'reilly's. It's Wix part number WL10379 for my 2013 CX-5. Comes with a gasket too, so no need for RTV to set up.
works with the 2016 also per O'Reilly. Did you have any issue with the gasket that is provided with the filter?

Went in for an oil change on my '16 CX-5 with about 80k. I asked them if you have to do a transmission drain and fill on these cars. The dealer recommended a transmission fluid exchange which is a flush according to them. They also recommended that it should be done every 60k. However, I have been going to dealers with the cx-5 for all oil changes and in the past, they never recommended any sort of transmission service. Also, the cost is $350. I didn't do it though because a flush worries me. I'll just take it to my independent mechanic who will do a drain and fill.
$350 for an ATF fluid exchange / flush seems to be a pretty good price by a Mazda dealer. Here’s an example asking $450 by a Mazda dealer just for an ATF drain-and-fill.

CX-5 Services/maintenance required?

Currently MSRP for Mazda ATF FZ is $17.52 per quart. You need less than 4 quarts for a drain-and-fill, but 12 quarts for a good full flush with a commercial ATF flush machine and a special Mazda only ATF cooler adapter.

Here’s another example an indie shop do the ATF flush for $318.70.

CX-5 Services/maintenance required?

3 quarts of Type FZ is $40. It takes 20 minutes, so $50 in labor. So what's the other $360; supposed to be for?

I thought Mazda recommended against transmission flushes. Why not do 2 drain and fills and call it good. Does the $350 flush include filter change. To me, $350 sounds expensive. My dealer back in 2015 said a flush was $169. Yea I know way back then, but still.
The $450 drain and fill by the Mazda dealer (mentioned above) is priced to the moon. Just because the price of most everything has increased, I don't blindly go along with the gouging that is taking place. And considering an expensive price "a deal" because it's cheaper compared to an outrageous price doesn't seem logical.

I thought Mazda recommended against transmission flushes. Why not do 2 drain and fills and call it good. Does the $350 flush include filter change. To me, $350 sounds expensive. My dealer back in 2015 said a flush was $169. Yea I know way back then, but still.
The $450 drain and fill by the Mazda dealer (mentioned above) is priced to the moon. Just because the price of most everything has increased, I don't blindly go along with the gouging that is taking place. And considering an expensive price "a deal" because it's cheaper compared to an outrageous price doesn't seem logical.
My dealer won't even do a drain and fill on the transmission. Says Mazda does not recommend it.

3 quarts of Type FZ is $40. It takes 20 minutes, so $50 in labor. So what's the other $360; supposed to be for?
3 quarts of Mazda ATF type FZ for only $40? Have you checked the Mazda parts price lately? Beside, it needs about 3.75 quarts for a simple drain-and-fill. 3 quarts won’t be enough.

Even if it takes only 20 minutes for the dealer doing the ATF drain-and-fill, they’d charge 1 hour labor minimum.

Some dealers will charge very high price for their work. My daughter got charged $420 + tax initially to replace the smashed quarter window glass on rear door for her 2022 Toyota Corolla Hatchback by a Toyota dealer. I called for her asking why replacing a $50 glass cost that much, the rep backed off and we settled for $260. Still $210 labor for that job is outrageous to me.

So then for a drain and fill, does the filter need to be replaced? The reason I ask is because for Toyota's if you do a drain and fill before 100k, you don't need to replace the filter. This is what the Care Care Nut who is a certified ASE Toyota Mechanic recommends.

Drain and fill with non Mazda FZ is my plan at 30k. Then dropping the pan and throwing a wix or oem mazda filter at it at 60k. Then repeat. Pretty EZ. Don't forget your PTU and diff. They need love too. And brake fluid and coolant every 5-6 years, mileage don't matter on those.

I wouldn't use non-Mazda ATF. I think it's a false economy buying generic fluid.

Personally, I'd rather spend the extra $15 every 30,000 miles vs risking a $3,000 transmission.

Last edited:
Drain and fill with non Mazda FZ is my plan at 30k.
Just read this post by @sinistriel@ who does drivetrain R&D and tuning for a living.

I will preface my comments by saying I've been inside these transmissions multiple times, have a teardown video and a walk through about what makes the transmission and torque converter special. ⋯ Using Mazda FZ fluid is imperative for proper operation due to the viscosity rating and the additive package for smoother torque converter lockup(TCC) operation. It is not simply a rebranded other fluid but is provided to Mazda through Idemitsu and TOTAL depending on continent. We've fixed multiple complaints across many manufacturers simply by using the specified fluid from the OEM after they were serviced elsewhere with multi use fluids.
Besides, you can’t drain the ATF cleanly like the engine oil and you’re going to mix new and old ATFs even if you use a commercial flush machine. Mixing fluids with different viscosity and additives can never be a good idea as you really don’t know what kind of chemical reaction may happen when different brand of fluids mixing together. So use only OEM Mazda ATF FZ or at least the FZ compatible aftermarket ATF such as the one from Ravenol.

Just read this post by @sinistriel@ who does drivetrain R&D and tuning for a living.

Besides, you can’t drain the ATF cleanly like the engine oil and you’re going to mix new and old ATFs even if you use a commercial flush machine. Mixing fluids with different viscosity and additives can never be a good idea as you really don’t know what kind of chemical reaction may happen when different brand of fluids mixing together. So use only OEM Mazda ATF FZ or at least the FZ compatible aftermarket ATF such as the one from Ravenol.
Aisin also makes FZ fluid and is available through RockAuto. I ran it for about 30k miles on my ‘13 before it was totaled, so I never got to do a proper analysis of the fluid. I’ll likely stick with OEM for the new ‘23 but figured I’d through that out there as an option.

Back