Oil filter after 1st oil change (2024 CX-5)

:
W WA
:
2024 CX-5 Premium
When I had dealer do first oil change on 2024 at 2000 miles, I asked them to return the used oil filter to me. I was curious if there would be any metal bits or other stuff in the filter. I didn't expect to find anything.

When I removed the paper filter from the housing there were about 20 small flakes of bright metal visible in the pleats. Although a bit surprised I'm not concerned.

Wonder if anyone else has done this?

CX5 filter.jpeg

THAT is exactly why I change my oil after 1000- 1500 miles from new. DIY Oil change for less than $30 with full synthetic is a no brainer. Second change after 2500 more miles and then regular changes at 4000-4500 miles after and your engine will be squeaky clean of varnish and sludge. Genuine Japanese made oem filters can be bought from partsouq.com for less than $10 each shipped. Buy 10 at a time and save.

100% normal and will continue to look like that for some time. I used to open filters on my vehicles and it is common.

I can't imagine why the filter would be contaminated with bits of metal.
Maybe better QC on Japanese/Thai made filters, but not unknown to find sharp burrs or metal particles from where the threads are machined into the baseplate. Also could find rust on inner surface of metal center tube. That's why I inspect every filter before purchase. Also to ensure the box contains the filter it should and somebody didn't substitute a wrong/cheaper filter. If you shop there, can you say Walmart?

I can't imagine why the filter would be contaminated with bits of metal.
I've had quite a few new oil filters that had bits of metal in the thread hole area leftover from the machining process. Bosch, Purolator, and Mobil to name a few.

THAT is exactly why I change my oil after 1000- 1500 miles from new. DIY Oil change for less than $30 with full synthetic is a no brainer. Second change after 2500 more miles and then regular changes at 4000-4500 miles after and your engine will be squeaky clean of varnish and sludge. Genuine Japanese made oem filters can be bought from partsouq.com for less than $10 each shipped. Buy 10 at a time and save.
I don't see an option for 2023 oil filters on that site.

If you're near a Mazda dealer you can just buy them at the parts counter.

I didn't inspect my filter at my 1200 mi change, but I have the peace of mind of getting everything out of there that could potentially do damage to the new engine.

Latest posts

Back