UDP belt squeal

4050457 for the AC/PS and the 4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp.

guy's is this available in any autozone branch? and il just ask dem if they have gatorbacks belts? part numbers, 4050457 for the AC/PS and the 4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp? sorry guy's i dont know what it is called. and another question guy's, is this belts for the FS-DE 2.0 liter? tnx a lot.. pls help..

The Gates belts cured it. Belt dressing and even baby powder will work for a while, but it is only temporary and will make things worse. The only cure is a GOOD belt that is tight.

A new belt will not squeek if it's at the right tension.

If it's new and squeeks, it's probably not tight enough.

We just put those Gatorbacks on our racecar... I'd never seen those before. Kinda cool.

iv ordered UR crank pulley olready, my engine is not that stock, its already ported n polished, headworks, CAI, Thunder Header, Tanabe Racing medallion, iridium plugs, fsze intake cam, ACT disc and lastly waiting for the UR crank pulley. iv read some having problems with squeking. will i have to change it to gatorback?even if my car is not a race car?my stock belt is fine? thanks a lot for the help! very helpfull tnx..

RBD402 said:
iv ordered UR crank pulley olready, my engine is not that stock, its already ported n polished, headworks, CAI, Thunder Header, Tanabe Racing medallion, iridium plugs, fsze intake cam, ACT disc and lastly waiting for the UR crank pulley. iv read some having problems with squeking. will i have to change it to gatorback?even if my car is not a race car?my stock belt is fine? thanks a lot for the help! very helpfull tnx..

You will have to replace the belts.... the length changes.

You should be replacing belts at a point like that anyway. Just as if you were changing cam gears, you should change the timing belt even if it's not time for it yet.

nah.. hir in the philippines Ford lynx RS are very rare. its a limited offer by ford philippines.and in the us its an mazda mp3.. same chasi layout different front and rear.. thats why its hard to find my parts there in the philippines.im hir now at tustin california for a vacation and to find some parts.. thanks for the help.. i juz want to make sure the part/s il be buying and bringing it home in the phils are bolt ons and exact parts.. so i ask a lot of questions and troubles you guy's.. peace.. hehehe

Alright, I'm going to try this in this thread since no one was being helpful in the other.

To make this short I bought the UR UDP about three weeks ago, and about two weeks ago I bought the highly recommended Goodyear Gatorback belts (4050457 for A/C and P/S, 4040360 for Alt. and W/P). Friday I got my pulley installed professionally with the belts I bought. Everything was going great until Wednesday morning when I got a little squealing. However, the squealing has gotten significantly worse as the days go on. I noticed my belts were very worn around the edges - like they had been on my car since '02 when it was made, and I'm pretty sure this is evidence against what is causing the squealing.

Has anyone here had a problem like this? The belts seemed tight enough (90 degree test - can be twisted slightly more than 90 degrees with effort) and the installer can vouch for the initial quality of the belts (brand new). Right now I only get squealing when the A/C fan is going (A/C on or not) but I fear it is going to be doing it all the time. So does anyone have any suggestions? Should I have gone with the recommended Gates belts instead?

Thanks for the help guys, this is really bothering me.

That means they probably stretched a bit or something.

Just tighten them. No soap, no belt dressing chemical, no different brand of belt.... Tighten

If it squeaks, tighten the belts.... this is not a new concept.

If you are worried about it, get a tension gauge and put it to spec at what the belt should be.

HorsepowerFreak said:
That means they probably stretched a bit or something.

Just tighten them. No soap, no belt dressing chemical, no different brand of belt.... Tighten

If it squeaks, tighten the belts.... this is not a new concept.

If you are worried about it, get a tension gauge and put it to spec at what the belt should be.
Hey man, thanks a lot. I kind of thought that was the problem - I guess I just needed someone else to verify. Well depending on the condition of the current belts (they looked pretty bad when I last checked two days ago) I may go out and buy some new ones. It's weird though because when I got my car inspected on Wednesday they said the belts were tight enough (they thought the fact that they were worn caused the squeaking). Alright well I'll do this, is the whole 90 degree thing accurate?

Wow, I never heard of that 90 degree test. You mean if you grab the belt in between two pulleys and twist it to 90 degrees, you should be okay? That sounds like they're really loose. I don't think I can twist mine to 60 degrees but who knows, I have never tried it.

Protege_Speed said:
Wow, I never heard of that 90 degree test. You mean if you grab the belt in between two pulleys and twist it to 90 degrees, you should be okay? That sounds like they're really loose. I don't think I can twist mine to 60 degrees but who knows, I have never tried it.
Well if what I understand is correct the belts are tight enough when you can twist the belt to 90 degrees max. Right now I can twist them to like 120 degrees with significant effort so they may be a little loose. I am taking my car back to make sure the pulley is aligned correctly and everything and if not to fix it. Hopefully by Monday I'll know if everything is straight or not.

Does anyone know what the tensions in the belts are supposed to be? I just want to make sure I will have everything tightened up properly when I'm done. By the way I haven't driven my car all weekend for fear of further screwing my belts up. I'm quite certain it is the alternator belt - it was quite loose when I checked it Friday (damn dealership lied) but I haven't had a chance to tighten it until today after work.

magnumP5 said:
Does anyone know what the tensions in the belts are supposed to be? I just want to make sure I will have everything tightened up properly when I'm done. By the way I haven't driven my car all weekend for fear of further screwing my belts up. I'm quite certain it is the alternator belt - it was quite loose when I checked it Friday (damn dealership lied) but I haven't had a chance to tighten it until today after work.

88lbf I believe.

Thanks for all the help guys. I went ahead and tightened my belts on Monday but I didn't use any sort of tension gauge - just sort of estimated. Well the squeal went away... for five days. It came back this morning (identically to how it started the last time). I checked the belt tensions and they seem a little loose again. Is it possible that belts stretch this much? I am going to re-tighten them again this weekend and this time try to use a tension gauge. Does anyone know where I could get/rent one?

I really don't think they will stretch.

Are you sure you are tightened the bolts that allow for adjustment?

HorsepowerFreak said:
I really don't think they will stretch.

Are you sure you are tightened the bolts that allow for adjustment?
I tightened them to about as much as they were before. Is there a certain torque that I need to tighten them? Even so, if those bolts were slightly loose, they aren't controlling tension so I don't see how they could affect the tension. I thought they just made it easier to adjust the tensioner bolt.

Back