Is it possible to check the Protege5 Timing belt?

Wife just picked up another 03 Protege5 from a dealership as she found one with leather seats etc. But without all of the rust hers has,

Can't find any maintenance stickers to suggest if/when the timing belt has been replaced, and I am wondering if there is any way to check on the timing belt without taking so much apart that I may as well replace it anyway.

Only code that popped up was P0090 so I swapped the fuel regulator from the other P5 and the code is now gone.

The car idles fairly smooth, but seems to have a slight hesitation when starting the engine.

Aside from my timing belt question, I'm happy for any advice on what else I should make a priority to investigate/tune up on the new P5. Cheers

Edit: This P5 has just over 190,000 KM (118,000 miles)

Just following up...

I realized I can probably take the valve cover off to get eyes on the timing belt, but would I be able to get an idea of whether or not it is in good shape?

Secondly,

Despite trying reverse multiple times while test driving the car, we've noticed that sometimes the car makes a loud clunk when shifting into reverse. All of the engine mounts look fine. Don't know the cause other than coming from the automatic transmission? Any thoughts?

Took off the valve cover, took a few pics of the timing belt, cranked it over once and took a couple more.

Anyone able to tell if this belt looks replaced somewhat recently?

I did notice on the sides some of the rubber has worn, making what looks like a strip of copper visible. Aside from that, I am a little clueless.
PXL_20231023_011357140.jpg
PXL_20231023_011402734.jpg
PXL_20231023_011408456.jpg
PXL_20231023_011431964.jpg
PXL_20231023_011442542.jpg

Despite trying reverse multiple times while test driving the car, we've noticed that sometimes the car makes a loud clunk when shifting into reverse. All of the engine mounts look fine. Don't know the cause other than coming from the automatic transmission? Any thoughts?

See if it occurs when you shift and gas quickly... or if you are at a complete stop and you slowly and purposefully shift into reverse.

My Oddy will clunk when shifting into reverse the very first shift, but then all is good.

I wouldn't worry about it until something actually breaks. I would however, do a drain, drop the pan and replace the filter, and then fill it up. No telling when/if that filter has ever been replaced.

I drain and fill the ATF every 15k miles and then every 4th time I replace the filter.
I figure doing it that way is easier than trying to do a full replacement every 30k miles.

Timing belt looks mint, no fraying or cracking, the copper strip on the side is normal - its the reinforcement layer in the belt.

For clunk I'd check the CV joints for play, maybe the shifter mechanism?

It's a non-interference engine.
Just run it until the belt snaps.

Get AAA,.. or CAA in my case.

You can replace the Timing-Belt several times with no damage.

Back