UDP belt squeal

mine's not so much a problem like that. but it is good to know others are also having this issue.

I'm going to try the goodyears mentioned and see if they help. It's tolerable for me - it only happens for the first 5-10 minutes of driving and then goes away permanently.

changed both my belts to goodyear gatorbacks yesterday and they dont sqeel at all anymore.and it is 20 deg. out here.i was gonna swap my pully back to stock too but i tried this first and it worked!it cost about $30 for the 2 belts and takes about 15 minuites to install.hope this helps

Has anyone encountered this problem with the RR racing pulley? You are all talking about the UR UDP which uses pulleys for each accessorie

I'm talking about the RR-Racing UDP. I just picked up the Gatorbacks, too. I'll be installing them tuesday. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Lord_Zath said:
One other question - you said your belt for the water pump went out on the highway. Did you drive it back home or did you leave it sitting there? I'm interested in knowing how long until the temp gauge started rising. Just good to know in case :)
Well fortunately it didn't happen over the summer when it was 90 outside. It happened when it was around 50 outside. I drove it on the highway for about 5 more minutes until I exited. I release the hood while I was still driving so that I could get more air in the engine bay and that seemed to help keep the temp below the line but once I got off the exit and slowed down, the temp started to elevate above the H line so I had to stop. I propped the hood open and the coolant in the reserve tank was boiling. My car seems to be okay now. There are no signs of any damage. I don't recommend you driving too far if your belts go that's why I have replacement belts in my trunk just in case. Hate to go through that again.

bump. Victory!

No squeaky squeaky. Will update if I get squeaks.

I used gatorbacks 4050457 for the AC/PS and the 4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp.

Thanks zath, you're the man!

edit: also, did you buy at autozone, advanced auto parts, discount auto?

Last edited:
Belt Dressing On The Belt...

TVE3.jpg

Brian MP5T said:

I'd have to back back Matt up on this one. I tried it, and it made it worse also. I've noticed on extremely cold mornings, if the defroster is cranked, the headlights are on, and the engine isn't fully warm when I take off, it squeal's pretty bad. I usually just try and let the car warm up fully before going anywhere.

Weird that you guys are experiencing this. I've had the UR pulley w/ Gates belts for nearly 2 yrs now and it has never squealed. When you guy's installed the pulley did you check the tension of your belts using a tension gauge? Perhaps that's your problem.

Last edited:
New guy question: How would one go about tightening their belts? I'm about ready to drive off a bridge just to get the squeaking to stop.
By the way, I have the RR udp and cheap Dayco belts.

i have a rr-racing pulley , with gatorback belt , it doesn't speak at all .... and i live in canada in winter sometimes it's f*cking cold....

baknaffekt said:
New guy question: How would one go about tightening their belts? I'm about ready to drive off a bridge just to get the squeaking to stop.
By the way, I have the RR udp and cheap Dayco belts.

I have the same and I haven't had any problems with the cheap Dayco belts. I just tightened then until I couldn't twist the belts more than 90 degrees.. someone on the forum said that was a decent gauge of the tension.

Took my car back to the shop that put on the pulley. After they cleaned all the gunk that built up on my pulleys from the belt dressing I was using they tightened the belts and I haven't had any problems since. It has been warmer here the last few days, so we'll see what happens when it dips back in the single digits. I'm not returning the Gatorbacks I bought yet.

Latest posts

Back