Speaker Sizes, Harnesses and Kits of all Mazdas

I think the Mazda5 has 5x7s all around just like the Mazda3. Power is going to be the same as all non-bose Mazda units. 10w x 4 channels.

1sty said:
I am not sure asi Have not seen one yet. My guess is that there is not an external amp as there is no Bose package but I could be wrong. Being a factory deck...probably 10 watts per channel. Either way its only a 4 channel system as the 5th/6th speakers are mostly likely paralleled tweeters.
Just to keep everyone up to date, I just replace the front and back speaker. The front where replace with west coast custom by orion (WCC-570cx) and the rear where replace by Kenwood (KFC-C5780ie). Since the change the sound is a lot clearer and there has been and increase in the bass. The orignal speaker front and back are 5 x 7.

Attachments

• back of speaker1.jpg
    back of speaker1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 251
Seriously, the stock head unit on the 2003 protege is impossible. Any advice would be great. Such as what screws need to be removed, how many screws, diagrams and pictures would be grrreeeaat!!! Thanks : )

There are no screws.
1) Remove the trim pieces from each side which reveal a series of holes.
2) Use two sets of Ford Radio Removal U-shaped tools (4 total) and insert them into the holes.
3) Apply plenty of force on the tools away from the unit (toward the doors of the car) and at the same time pull them out towards you. The unit should come out with them.

chuyler1 said:
There are no screws.
1) Remove the trim pieces from each side which reveal a series of holes.
2) Use two sets of Ford Radio Removal U-shaped tools (4 total) and insert them into the holes.
3) Apply plenty of force on the tools away from the unit (toward the doors of the car) and at the same time pull them out towards you. The unit should come out with them.
About 10 minutes after this post I removed the unit w/ ease!! I am just an idot and had to think for a minute. It was a piece of cake and did just slide right out. Just put in a Jenson vm9311 7" lcd in dash deck. It's sweet!

FYI:
No part (u-shadped tool) had to be purchased. Just a simple flat head screw driver and badabing.

I've used a screwdriver also...but when people are having trouble, I always tell them to buy the tools before they break something.

I don't know if somebody else noticed this or not since I didn't read the entire thread. But the part number listed for the MP3/MSP pocket is wrong. The last character is a 0(zero) not an O, BJ1H-66-9M0 instead of BJ1H-66-9MO.

Yo 1rsty

Hey man,

Where in NH are you. I live in NH and am looking for someone to do some install stuff on my new Mazda 6 S Grand Touring w/ Bose system. The bose sub is week. I'm gonna put some Rockford gear in.

I have a 1998 mazda 626 LX, i know that the radios in them are proabably all generic. but i'm wondering what the dementions are of the radio its self. not the din size, but the acual dementions. thanks all

I was wondering if 6x9's would fit in the front door speakers of a 2003 Protege5. I know 6x8's work in place of the stock 5x7's so can anyone tell me if this is possible, and if modification is needed how to do it??

No. 6x9s will not fit. They are significantly larger than 6x8s. You would have to cut the door and possibly the door panel too.

Alright I guess I will settle for an inch less in width (sad2) lol haha no biggy. Thanks for the info, you saved me some trouble.

FYI the Scosche reverse harness for the 01-up is now MA03RB. i'm hoping it now includes the illumination that the MA03R did not....

Thanks to all who posted info in this thread. It was instrumental in helping me install my new deck this past weekend. Here are some pics:

Night:
511556_9_full.jpg

Day:
511556_8_full.jpg

I wasn't aware that the 99 protege had rear door speaker openings. If you say that it does, I'm guessing that the size is the same as the 2001+ Proteges (6").

I have a question with these wiring harnesses and a couple other questions. My new head unit (Pioneer DEH-P5800MP) came with a wiring harness. Does this plug into the back of the new head unit and wire up to the various wires from the speakers and such or do I need a new harness from a place like Crutchfield to act as a bridge from the stock harness plug to the new harness from Pioneer? Also will I need a dash kit if I'm going with a MSP pocket? Hope everything made sense.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

You connect the wiring harness that came with your new head unit to the one listed in the first post from crutchfield. Once you match up all the wires, you can plug the harness directly into the car and your head unit.

chuyler1 said:
You connect the wiring harness that came with your new head unit to the one listed in the first post from crutchfield. Once you match up all the wires, you can plug the harness directly into the car and your head unit.

So basically the setup will be: Pioneer harness plugged into Pioneer head unit, then wired to the crutchfield harness which is then plugged into the stock harness?

Yes. All the wires should match up except you should connect the ground wire directly to a piece of bare metal in the dash. If you use the ground wire on the crutchfield harness you may get alternator whine.

Latest posts

Back