Mazdaspeed Protege Quarter Mile Bragging Rights

They factor it in for pro tree bracket racing at the track I go to. But regular time trials they dont.

why am I just now seeing this? You ran a 12.2? Doesn't that beat CWill's record? Are you still on stock transmission?

Yup, stock tranny and diff. I credit not breaking it to proper pre-loading when staging. Never had a problem.

it's hard to explain, but it's basically holding your ebrake once you get to the first staging light. Once there hit launch control, or hold an rpm or whatever way you wanna launch and start slipping the clutch. You'll feel when the car wants to start lurching forward. At that time feather your e brake to get you to the second staging light while still slipping the clutch and holding launch rpm. Wait for the green and go!

You'd think it's bad for the clutch but I've examined mine after a weekend of doing that and had no glossing of flywheel or clutch. I'm using an ACT 6 puck HD pressure plate setup though, holds 500 some torque.

It's the best way to launch without breaking s***, plus you'll get better 60 foots which means better quarter mile times.

It takes all the slack out of your driveline and starts straining everything, thus eliminating an instant snap of power when dumping the clutch that breaks things. I'll take a little clutch wear over broken trannys and axles any day.

Takes lots of practice!

I'll be back on the 1/4 next weekend. Really hoping to break into the 12's this time...

Back