2013~2016 CX-5 Services/maintenance required?

Many people will not recommend a transmission flush, but you decide. A machine may blow out embedded clutch material that's loose in the fluid. Or worse force them into nooks and crannies inside the transmission. The floating clutch material, in addition to the clutches, is what helps the tranny grab and not slip. Though at 77k miles, you will not notice much difference not matter what you decide.

Many people will not recommend a transmission flush, but you decide. A machine may blow out embedded clutch material that's loose in the fluid. Or worse force them into nooks and crannies inside the transmission. The floating clutch material, in addition to the clutches, is what helps the tranny grab and not slip. Though at 77k miles, you will not notice much difference not matter what you decide.
Interesting.

Since I've had the CX-5 I've been in the habit of going to the dealership for the oil service. Someone at work mentioned they go to Walmart to do this. Has anyone else done this and had good results? Looks like their pricing is about half of the dealership for the same service.

Since I've had the CX-5 I've been in the habit of going to the dealership for the oil service. Someone at work mentioned they go to Walmart to do this. Has anyone else done this and had good results? Looks like their pricing is about half of the dealership for the same service.

You get what you pay for...

I wouldn't let Walmart touch my car but that's me.

One time I bought a Group H8 EverStart Platinum AGM battery from WalMart for my 2000 BMW 528i. I declined free installation and took a second trip with my old battery to get the core charge back. ;)

Walmart auto techs vary in quality. They don't pay the best wages, but I got lucky. The Walmart in Cherry Hill, NJ changed the oil on my 2008 Miata, and was nice enough to point out that the auto transmission pan was scratched up and recommend that I tend to it before it rusts through.

At the Farmingdale NY location, they installed new tires with TPS modules that I supplied for only a few bucks more. All tires were balanced and perfect.

Interesting.
Look at this post from

2013-cx5

I would not recommend waiting so long for a transmission fluid change, but it's impressive.

Walmart auto techs vary in quality. They don't pay the best wages, but I got lucky. The Walmart in Cherry Hill, NJ changed the oil on my 2008 Miata, and was nice enough to point out that the auto transmission pan was scratched up and recommend that I tend to it before it rusts through.

At the Farmingdale NY location, they installed new tires with TPS modules that I supplied for only a few bucks more. All tires were balanced and perfect.

That was observant of the tech. Most transmission pans are made from aluminum but that's beside the point, right?

Haha, that would've been interesting! It was actually black, and painted. If it was aluminum, it should have been grey with surface corrosion? Or maybe they do paint aluminum parts? Always good to learn something new.
That was observant of the tech. Most transmission pans are made from aluminum but that's beside the point, right?

The location doing some of the work I've talked about is busy so 1/5 is the date. I'll be do for an oil service. Thought I'd have this guy do it since the car will be in. I asked if he had Mazda 0w20 synthetic oil. I assume this is no concern, but thought I'd check. Here's his response:

I don't use "Mazda" engine oil. The dealer wouldn't use Mazda oil. It is available, but I'm not sure who blends and bottles it.

What I do use is a full synthetic 0W-20 that is ILSAC GF-6A rated, API SP rated, and licensed dexos1 approved (GM). Also, when I switched bulk oil distributors, the petroleum engineer told me this is also the same oil blended and bottled for the two largest Asian vehicle lines (the overpriced quarts that can be purchased at the dealer parts counter, but the dealer doesn't use) as well as two of the larger oil brands (depending on market, start with M & V)... I always make sure I'm delivering quality. It will be the same oil that some dealerships get delivered in bulk, as they can pick their own distributor. Buying "Mazda" oil is in not economical.

I do use genuine Mazda oil filters that I get from Mazda.

Your tech doesn't know who blends or who bottles Mazda branded oil, but a petroleum engineer told him that this is the same oil blended and bottled for the two largest Asian vehicle lines which included Mazda's overpriced oil? So, its good oil, but overpriced and your people don't know who makes it?

Those of us who buy this oil from somewhere other than the dealer are getting much better prices than the dealership charges. At least I am.

Based on his comments does it look reasonable to have him do the change? I've been using the local Mazda dealership.

Based on his comments does it look reasonable to have him do the change? I've been using the local Mazda dealership.
Your local Mazda service center likely isn’t using a Mazda branded oil either. They’ll usually use a bulk 0w-20 like Synpower. Check your invoice to be sure. The oil the mechanic described will work just fine, meets all required certifications (as does the bulk oil the dealership is using).

He'll do a fine job I imagine. Good of him to take the time to give you an in depth response.

Mazda branded oil is blended (in the USA) by Idemitsu Corp in Jeffersonville IN by the way. It's a very impressive, top notch manufacturing facility with very stringent QC. I'd pick my ice🍦 cream cone back up off the floor and eat it if it fell there at Idemitsu lol 😁. I can't say the same for some other oil company facilities.

Cool. This guy does sound good and listening to him talk sounds like he really knows what he's doing and about Mazdas. Just wish he was much closer.

Back