2013~2016 CX-5 Services/maintenance required?

So $475 is a one-time drain-and-fill, not including the filter cartridge replacement? Do they claim they can do an ATF “flush”?
Drain and fill. They don't do the filter. I'd have to check back with them on an ATF flush. She didn't mention it when I was talking to her about the drain/fill and filter replacement.

Drain and fill. They don't do the filter. I'd have to check back with them on an ATF flush. She didn't mention it when I was talking to her about the drain/fill and filter replacement.
$475.00 seems crazy high. I'm not quite sure what the fluid runs but lets say $30 a quart. 4 quarts to drain/fill, thats $355.00 for labor.

$475.00 seems crazy high. I'm not quite sure what the fluid runs but lets say $30 a quart. 4 quarts to drain/fill, thats $355.00 for labor.
Ya. I'm seeing higher prices. Maybe it's the Denver market. I need to call them back yet and ask them if that's simply a drain and fill or if they do a flush. I know the don't touch the filter.

So the consensus seems to be that a drain/fill of transmission fluid is necessary as well a filter replacement. The lifetime transmission/transmission fluid doesn't seem to have a lot of faith behind it. I can understand this. Is it just due costs? So if something does go wrong they feel it makes more sense to just replace the transmission?

Ya. I'm seeing higher prices. Maybe it's the Denver market. I need to call them back yet and ask them if that's simply a drain and fill or if they do a flush. I know the don't touch the filter.
I highly doubt the Mazda dealer will do a true ATF flush which needs a special adapter not approved by Mazda.

So the consensus seems to be that a drain/fill of transmission fluid is necessary as well a filter replacement. The lifetime transmission/transmission fluid doesn't seem to have a lot of faith behind it. I can understand this. Is it just due costs? So if something does go wrong they feel it makes more sense to just replace the transmission?
In addition to ATF, Mazda doesn’t give any change schedule on brake fluid for most of its vehicles ONLY in North American market.

Nearly $400 to change the plugs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy sheeet! Are they solid gold plugs or what?

That's robbery, plain and simple. Change the plugs yourself for a fraction of what this 'dealership' charges.

Skip the bogus fuel injection service as well.

Have you had this shop do work for you before?
My 2016.5 CX5 was purchased new in 2017. The car has 41,000 miles. Do the spark plugs needs replacing at this point? If so, I'd love to have a go a replacing myself....is this feasible for anyone with zero mechanical experience such as myself? For the sake of saving $$$ I'd like to have a go. Would I buy the plugs from my local Mazda dealer?

My 2016.5 CX5 was purchased new in 2017. The car has 41,000 miles. Do the spark plugs needs replacing at this point? If so, I'd love to have a go a replacing myself....is this feasible for anyone with zero mechanical experience such as myself? For the sake of saving $$$ I'd like to have a go. Would I buy the plugs from my local Mazda dealer?
Non Turbo plugs are good to ~75,000 miles. You have a way to go.

No, spark plug change is at 75K-mile interval. You certainly can change spark plugs by yourself. The only thing for the first-timers is you don’t over tighten the plugs or you may be cross threading the cylinder head. If you don’t have a torque wrench, follow the installation instruction on the spark plug package such as “Tighten the spark plug finger-tight until the gasket reaches the cylinder head, then tighten about ½ – ⅔ turn more with a spark plug wrench.” There’re YouTube videos available too.

Do read the discussion from beginning of this thread, and you’ll find most of the answers you’re looking for.

Yes, I just did mine at 53k miles and there was a decent amount of steel clutch material on the magnet. Trans works great but that magnet needed to be cleaned. Replaced the filter also. Once that magnet gets overwhelmed, it will start sending the metal into the trans.

It's a pain with the trans pan not having a gasket and you have to use RTV, like the factory did. Requires a lot of tedious work cleaning and getting the RTV ready. The trans dripping trans fluid while you are cleaning the mating surface is not fun. Especially if it drips on your face.

Next time around, I will just buy a new trans pan ($60) and new pan bolts. That would cut the cleaning work by a lot. I wish someone would make a steel core pan gasket, that would cut labor down by a lot.

"Lifetime fluid" means once the trans is out of warranty and reaching 100k miles, if it fails, just buy a new CX5 for $40k. Mazda wins!

The CX-5's don't have an accessible/serviceable fuel filter, correct?
Yes, it has. A pre-fuel-filter or low-pressure fuel filter is in the gas tank and there’s a YouTube for that.

Mazda CX-5 Fuel filter strainer replacement

The high-pressure fuel filter is the canister-type filter we usually see. It also is in the gas tank on the fuel gauge sending unit above the low-pressure fuel filter.

CX-5 Fuel Filter Replacement?

B079AE43-DC28-4F49-8C13-B103D2A9CE79.gif

5CDA8713-BE33-45B2-9359-18468CA8679A.gif

805A6263-C1F1-4C1C-A481-9F4C6DCBC07C.png

Of course Mazda doesn’t offer any maintenance schedule for both fuel filters.

Last edited:
No, it has. A pre-fuel-filter or low-pressure fuel filter is in the gas tank and there’s a YouTube for that.

Mazda CX-5 Fuel filter strainer replacement

The high-pressure fuel filter is the canister-type filter we usually see. It also is in the gas tank on the fuel gauge sending unit above the low-pressure fuel filter.

CX-5 Fuel Filter Replacement?

View attachment 321897

View attachment 321898
View attachment 321899

Of course Mazda doesn’t offer any maintenance schedule for both fuel filters.

Entering the fuel tank is not what I call "serviceable" :)

The fuel filters that I had on other vehicles would take 5 minutes to replace as they were "in-line" on the fuel line side. Not inside the gas tank.

I assume one has to drop the entire fuel tank to access the fuel pump and filters?

Entering the fuel tank is not what I call "serviceable" :)

The fuel filters that I had on other vehicles would take 5 minutes to replace as they were "in-line" on the fuel line side. Not inside the gas tank.

I assume one has to drop the entire fuel tank to access the fuel pump and filters?
I think there is an access panel under the rear seat , driver side.

I would not bother with changing whatever filter there is in the tank. I changed the screen on a 10 year old Maxima and so little debris in the tank and effectively nothing on the screen it was a waste of time. Perhaps using fuel sources in markets outside of NA may benefit though.

Appears to be nearly the same setup as schematic above.

I would not bother with changing whatever filter there is in the tank. I changed the screen on a 10 year old Maxima and so little debris in the tank and effectively nothing on the screen it was a waste of time. Perhaps using fuel sources in markets outside of NA may benefit though.

Appears to be nearly the same setup as schematic above.
Agree with this. I've changed many a fuel filter out that apparently have had little or no debris in at all. A lot of gas pumps, at least at the stations I've worked at, have their own filters built in.

No, spark plug change is at 75K-mile interval. You certainly can change spark plugs by yourself. The only thing for the first-timers is you don’t over tighten the plugs or you may be cross threading the cylinder head. If you don’t have a torque wrench, follow the installation instruction on the spark plug package such as “Tighten the spark plug finger-tight until the gasket reaches the cylinder head, then tighten about ½ – ⅔ turn more with a spark plug wrench.” There’re YouTube videos available too.

Do read the discussion from beginning of this thread, and you’ll find most of the answers you’re looking for.
I would disregard those "finger tight" instructions altogether and just say to flat out get a torque wrench.

I would disregard those "finger tight" instructions altogether and just say to flat out get a torque wrench.
Ha, that “finger-tight and another ½ turn” instruction actually is the official installation instruction printed on each spark plug package. Of course the better way is to invest a ⅜” torque wrench which covers 12~14 ft/lbf range even from Harbor Freight Tools. Honestly I myself haven’t used the torque wrench to install spark plugs for many years with such low torque value on spark plugs. The official installation instruction without a torque wrench at least is less prone to strip the threads on aluminum cylinder head than those who isn’t familiar with using a torque wrench.

Spark plug changes in this motor don't really get any easier... only thing easier would be pulling an old school spark plug boot off instead of the coil.

I use torque wrenches on everything with the full range.. digitals help a lot too

If one is concerned about cross threading use an old rubber spark plug boot attached to a pencil orhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

img_1216_4b497d4ef21eb6a8a9307b2be2cfa3d50f53681b.jpeg

Looking into a place called Coyote Motors in Boulder. This guy sounds like he really knows his stuff. Some of these other items that I had on my list I'm talking to this guy about doing. And it sounds like he knows what he's doing when it comes to the transmission and fluid, etc. He claimed he has an aftermarket fluid that meets all the Mazda specs but I'm not sure if I want to use anything out of OEM fluids for any of the work.

Back