2013~2016 CX-5 Services/maintenance required?

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech
I'm do for an oil service. Just passed 74k miles. Is there anything else that should be considered at this point? Seems some recommendations aren't always necessary. Back at 35k I know they changed out the rear fluid.

Maybe just the spark plugs?

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How would we know what service to recommend when you haven't told us what has been done to the car thus far? Except for the 'rear fluid', I'm assuming you mean the rear differential?

More info is needed before any meaningful recommendations can be made.

How would we know what service to recommend when you haven't told us what has been done to the car thus far? Except for the 'rear fluid', I'm assuming you mean the rear differential?

More info is needed before any meaningful recommendations can be made.
Correct, rear differential. Just standard oil service changes and inspections and fluid top-offs. The car is well-taken car off. Not noticing any issues.

The local dealership stated they recommend, at 75k, spark plugs and fuel injection service. The price for both of these is $620 ($387.44 for the plugs, and $219.95 for the fuel injection service). Apparently, the fuel injection service takes several hours. They told me they install a cleaner into the fuel tank, then hook up a cleaning tool to the fuel injector rail and shut off the fuel pump. There is a cleaner installed directly into the fuel injector rail that flushes the carbon out from the tops of the valves and cleans the injector tips.

Last edited:
Nearly $400 to change the plugs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy sheeet! Are they solid gold plugs or what?

That's robbery, plain and simple. Change the plugs yourself for a fraction of what this 'dealership' charges.

Skip the bogus fuel injection service as well.

Have you had this shop do work for you before?

Nearly $400 to change the plugs!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Holy sheeet! Are they solid gold plugs or what?

That's robbery, plain and simple. Change the plugs yourself for a fraction of what this 'dealership' charges.

Skip the bogus fuel injection service as well.

Have you had this shop do work for you before?
Yes, I have. I've made an effort to build a report with the Service Manager. Seems like a good guy. I did ask him about the price of the spark plugs. Is the default spark plug recommended or is there a different recommendation? I've changed plugs before.

I've got a 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD, myself, purchased as a pre-owned well-maintained ~80Kmi. When I purchased mine, I went through all of the fluids/oils and swapped them out. Didn't do the serpentine/accessory belt+tensioner, which broke a few thousand miles later; should have done that one, as I hadn't found record of it with the prior owner.

Granted, I tend to be a bit more aggressive on maintenance than many, but here's what I would look at.

• Spark plugs -- can easily do DIY, if preferred (< $50 plus your time)
  • Cabin air filter -- can do DIY, if preferred (< $20 plus your time)
  • Fuel filter -- if has not yet been replaced
  • Radiator Coolant (FL-22) -- possibly with a fresh coolant cap
  • Brakes -- if needed
  • Brake fluid flush -- next time you do brakes
  • Hinges & locks -- lubricate
  • Wiper blades -- if it's been awhile, with winter approaching
  • Inspect -- suspension
  • Inspect -- drive line boots
  • Plus the standard "multi-point" inspection
  • Consider -- Battery, if it's beyond mfr-suggested life

Last edited:
Correct, rear differential. Just standard oil service changes and inspections and fluid top-offs. The car is well-taken car off. Not noticing any issues.
Yeah your 2016.5 CX-5 IMO is the best、and the most reliable CX-5 ever. The only thing you should pay a little more attention to is the serpentine belt tensioner, and may be the VVT solenoid oil control valve at higher mileage.

The local dealership stated they recommend, at 75k, spark plugs and fuel injection service. The price for both of these is $620 ($387.44 for the plugs, and $219.95 for the fuel injection service).
You should check owner’s manual for required maintenance schedule. 75K miles change interval is for spark plug change. But fuel injector service has never been mentioned in the maintenance schedule. With recent price hike on Mazda OEM parts, the OEM spark plug PE5R-18-110(A) now is $36.97 MSRP each, so $387.44 - ($36.97 X 4) = $239.56 which should be about 1.5 hours of dealer labor charge for a 20-minute job! Worse, the dealer could use much cheaper PE5R-18-110-MV OEM “Value” spark plugs (MSRP $15.00 a piece) like they do oil changes using cheaper OEM “Value” oil filter.

Apparently, the fuel injection service takes several hours. They told me they install a cleaner into the fuel tank, then hook up a cleaning tool to the fuel injector rail and shut off the fuel pump. There is a cleaner installed directly into the fuel injector rail that flushes the carbon out from the tops of the valves and cleans the injector tips.
This fuel injector cleaning process described by your Mazda dealer has no difference like you buy a bottle good old Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner and dump it into the fuel tank when you need the gas. You can buy at least 55 bottles of Techron for $219.95 you’d pay your dealer for “fuel injection service”.

At 74K miles, you should consider transmission ATF change (drain-and-fill) as soon as possible, and may be the brake fluid flush whenever you need a brake job.

In addition, since you only did rear differential gear oil change at 35K miles, you should consider gear oil change at front transfer case, and might as well change the rear differential at the same time.

Oh, and engine air filter and cabin air filter changes are long overdue since you’ve never mentioned them.

Oh, and engine air filter and cabin air filter changes are long overdue since you’ve never mentioned them.
Sorry, I've been doing those myself as needed.
  • The labor for plugs is $189 and the plugs are $180 + tax. If it's just swapping out plugs I can do this myself. Just need to be clear on which plugs.
  • The brakes are good yet so it sounds like the flush can wait until the brakes need to be done.
  • Sounds like I should be getting the transmission ATF change (drain-and-fill) done. Correct?
  • Also, sounds like the rear differential should be done again as well as the front transfer case. Didn't think these or the transmission ATF were mentioned. But apparently, is of concern to have done?
  • You also mentioned: The only thing you should pay a little more attention to is the serpentine belt tensioner, and may be the VVT solenoid oil control valve at higher mileage. Is it suggested to be replaced at some mileage point?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, I have. I've made an effort to build a report with the Service Manager. Seems like a good guy. I did ask him about the price of the spark plugs. Is the default spark plug recommended or is there a different recommendation? I've changed plugs before.
'Just had OEM plugs replaced in my 2019 at the dealer - cost $182.15.

Sorry, I've been doing those myself as needed.
(y)

The labor for plugs is $189 and the plugs are $180 + tax. If it's just swapping out plugs I can do this myself. Just need to be clear on which plugs.
Your Mazda dealer is greedy and has 20% additional markup over the MSRP!

You can get thr OEM plugs, part no. PE5R-18-110A online, that’s the most expensive one. Or you can get the OEM “Value” plugs, PE5R-18-110-MV for about the same price as the NGK OEM equivalent, ILKAR7L11 / 94124 iridium spark plugs. Here:

For the NGK ILKAR7L11, I bought them from Advanced Auto Parts. They are listed by NGK as an authorized dealer. Plus, they matched Rockauto's price online.

The brakes are good yet so it sounds like the flush can wait until the brakes need to be done.
Yes.

Sounds like I should be getting the transmission ATF change (drain-and-fill) done. Correct?
Yes, I would. Do it 3 times including one with the pan drop for filter cartridge change. Make sure to use Mazda ATF FZ.

Also, sounds like the rear differential should be done again as well as the front transfer case. Didn't think these or the transmission ATF were mentioned. But apparently, is of concern to have done?
At 74K miles, it’s a good practice to change the gear oil in front transfer case as it’s never been changed. Both front TC and rear differential use the same Mazda gear oil SG-1 so you can do both at the time.

Yes, ATF change isn’t on any official maintenance schedule. Gear oil change at the rear differential gets mentioned only if the differential was submerged in the water.

You also mentioned: The only thing you should pay a little more attention to is the serpentine belt tensioner, and may be the VVT solenoid oil control valve at higher mileage. Is it suggested to be replaced at some mileage point?
Not on any maintenance schedule either. But these two are very common problems reported by members here.

'Just had OEM plugs replaced in my 2019 at the dealer - cost $182.15.
With current high dealer labor rate, this’s a great price if the dealer didn’t use the OEM “Value” spark plugs like they always use OEM “Value” oil filter when they do the oil change.

See post #7 above.

(y)

Your Mazda dealer is greedy and has 20% additional markup over the MSRP!

You can get thr OEM plugs, part no. PE5R-18-110A online, that’s the most expensive one. Or you can get the OEM “Value” plugs, PE5R-18-110-MV for about the same price as the NGK OEM equivalent, ILKAR7L11 / 94124 iridium spark plugs.
=> I'll look into this. Sounds like the PE5R-18-110A is preferred?
Yes, I would. Do it 3 times including one with the pan drop for filter cartridge change. Make sure to use Mazda ATF FZ.
=> What mileage intervals are suggested? At which three would the filter cartridge be changed?
At 74K miles, it’s a good practice to change the gear oil in front transfer case as it’s never been changed. Both front TC and rear differential use the same Mazda gear oil SG-1 so you can do both at the time. Yes, ATF change isn’t on any official maintenance schedule. Gear oil change at the rear differential gets mentioned only if the differential was submerged in the water.
=> On do rear if submerged in water? it was already done at 35k. Dealer recommended. Unless I'm misunderstanding this.

Sorry for all the questions. I just like to be clear. Really appreciate the help.

Reactions: MM8
I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ for the Mazda branded spark plugs, they are just rebranded NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs which are less than half the cost.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
=> I'll look into this. Sounds like the PE5R-18-110A is preferred?
Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110A spark plug is the most expensive one available. Many have chosen NGK OEM equivalent ILKAR7L11 / 94124 iridium spark plug for a half of the price. See @txt990’s post in post #12 above.

=> What mileage intervals are suggested? At which three would the filter cartridge be changed?
Nobody believes there’s the life-time fluid exists. Since there’s no said maintenance schedule for ATF and gear oil changes, we can only use most opinions from DIYers experience. Many believe the ATF should be changed at 50K ~ 75K miles. You can only do the drain-and-fill for Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission, and you can only drain a half of the ATF out hence you shoul do it 3 times with some interval in between. Whether you should drop the pan for filter cartridge change inside, or when do you want to do that in 3 drain-and-fills, is a personal preference.

2016.5 CX-5 Transmission fluid change questions

2014 CX5 Tune-Up items to replace?

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

=> On do rear if submerged in water? it was already done at 35k. Dealer recommended. Unless I'm misunderstanding this.

The same no life-time fluid theory applies on how often you should change the gear oil on front TC and rear differential. 50K ~ 75K miles would be the change interval most people use.

Mazda OEM PE5R-18-110A spark plug is the most expensive one available. Many have chosen NGK OEM equivalent ILKAR7L11 / 94124 iridium spark plug for a half of the price. See @txt990’s post in post #12 above.

Nobody believes there’s the life-time fluid exists. Since there’s no said maintenance schedule for ATF and gear oil changes, we can only use most opinions from DIYers experience. Many believe the ATF should be changed at 50K ~ 75K miles. You can only do the drain-and-fill for Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission, and you can only drain a half of the ATF out hence you shoul do it 3 times with some interval in between. Whether you should drop the pan for filter cartridge change inside, or when do you want to do that in 3 drain-and-fills, is a personal preference.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

The same no life-time fluid theory applies on how often you should change the gear oil on front TC and rear differential. 50K ~ 75K miles would be the change interval most people use.
I have driven over 2k now with the NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs and find no difference between the Mazda plugs. Economy & performance are the same. I would recommend them. Also, Advanced Auto will price match with Rock Auto. Just chat with them online and they will honor the price online and then pickup at store. I paid about $46 for the plugs.

Guide ATF Drain/Fill

So it sounds like it's time to do the gear oil in the front transfer case (not done yet) and again in the rear differential (done at 35k). Then also do a drain-and-fill for Mazda’s SkyActiv-Drive automatic transmission. I don't have the tools or place to do this myself so I'd need to go in somewhere.

Watched a video on the spark plug replacement and it looks easy enough. The last car I did this on was a '94 Celica. A bit easier but it still doesn't look difficult.

I have driven over 2k now with the NGK ILKAR7L11 plugs and find no difference between the Mazda plugs. Economy & performance are the same. I would recommend them. Also, Advanced Auto will price match with Rock Auto. Just chat with them online and they will honor the price online and then pickup at store. I paid about $46 for the plugs.
Looks like I need to search for 94124 at Rock Auto for the NGK ILKAR7L11. Looks like Amazon is $11.00/ea. But Adv Auto will match at 50% off? 10.02 at Rock Auto but Adv Auto shows them for $19.79 ea.

Looks like I need to search for 94124 at Rock Auto for the NGK ILKAR7L11. Looks like Amazon is $11.00/ea. But Adv Auto will match at 50% off? 10.02 at Rock Auto but Adv Auto shows them for $19.79 ea.
Yes, Advanced will match Rock Auto's price. Just chat with their customer service online. They will ask you for Rock Auto's link and you provide it to them. Plus Advanced is an authorized dealer per NGK.

Back