Yes! Voided Warranty

Thanks to all those who have offered advice and other help. I am wondering if dino oil wont help out some because when I first bought the car I thought there was something on the forums mentioning that mazda hadn't approved synthetic. But I can't find it. On a side note the only reason that I'm pissed about the situation is the fact that some have had no problem getting warranty service, while I and possibly others have had there warranty voided.

He modified the powertain, its as simple as that. He knew the turbo seals were suspect but decided to modify the car anyways. He took a chance and got screwed. I've spent quite a bit of time and money fixing the mistakes Mazda made on the MSP and yet it doesnt bother me... You have to take responsibility when you modify a car and it breaks.

I agree he knew there was an existing problem and took it in anyway. Im not surprised the dealer is messing with him about the dp and the two resonators removed. You sound like you work at a Mazda servive dept. Just curious(even though not fully relevant to this situation), It has always been said on here that mazdaspeed cai was a universal dealer friendly mod. Lets say you thought this, installed one on your brand new 08 Ms3 and you melt a piston the next day(obviously factory defect). You would just suck it up and pay thousands for a new motor with labor no questions asked and think you deserved this for "modifying the powertrain"?

Last edited:
He modified the powertain, its as simple as that. He knew the turbo seals were suspect but decided to modify the car anyways. He took a chance and got screwed. I've spent quite a bit of time and money fixing the mistakes Mazda made on the MSP and yet it doesnt bother me... You have to take responsibility when you modify a car and it breaks.

First off, modifying the exhaust system has nothing to do with the "Powertrain". The powertrain consists of the engine and conponents, also the transmission and it's compotents. The exhaust system as stated by the federal government is part of the "emissions" system. Modifying the Exhaust system can get you a $10K fine, but it should not void your factory warranty. All turbos are test and design using a cat-less open pipe. Weak seals are a part of bad design on Hitachi-Warner's part but you shouldn't have to suffer. Call the BBB and Mazda Corp. Get your car fixed. Also you can call the turbo maufacturer and have them call the dealer for you. they can even tell the dealer that bad turbo seal aren't caused by a cat-less DP.

Rob...

Last edited:
First off, modifying the exhaust system has nothing to do with the "Powertrain". The powertrain consists of the engine and conponents, also the transmission and it's compotents. The exhaust system as stated by the federal government is part of the "emissions" system. Modifying the Exhaust system can get you a $10K fine, but it should not void your factory warranty. All turbos are test and design using a cat-less open pipe. Weak seals are a part of bad design on Hitachi-Warner's part but you shouldn't have to suffer. Call the BBB and Mazda Corp. Get your car fixed. Also you can call the turbo maufacturer and have them call the dealer for you. they can even tell the dealer that bad turbo seal aren't called by a cat-less DP.

Rob...

+1

First off, modifying the exhaust system has nothing to do with the "Powertrain". The powertrain consists of the engine and conponents, also the transmission and it's compotents. The exhaust system as stated by the federal government is part of the "emissions" system. Modifying the Exhaust system can get you a $10K fine, but it should not void your factory warranty. All turbos are test and design using a cat-less open pipe. Weak seals are a part of bad design on Hitachi-Warner's part but you shouldn't have to suffer. Call the BBB and Mazda Corp. Get your car fixed. Also you can call the turbo maufacturer and have them call the dealer for you. they can even tell the dealer that bad turbo seal aren't caused by a cat-less DP.

Rob...

Seems like a winner right there.. also, if this is such a prevalent problem, why isn't there a recall on our turbo seals yet? I'm kind of scared about my turbo :(

Just to clarify, as someone mentioned others have been getting warranty service with there aftermarket parts, I had my dealer install my CP-E TBE. 3 months later is when the smoking started. Wasn't really concerned about it due to the fact we all knew it was a problem. Took it in for service, when they started her up to move into the bay she started to smoke like a mad man. Called to check on the status of the car, and they told me they will be replacing my turbo.

But then again, I am very well known at that dealer as I have bought 3 mazdas in the past and have gotten to know them quite well.

As for your dilema, it will be a tough battle.

Rob...

Stupid question but if he took this to court, wouldn't the judge fine him for messing with the "emissions" system on the car?

Haha. Yeah I just realized that myself. Apparently though I found out that my warrenty doesnt seem to be completly voided after having another dealer run the vin so maybe they were just trying to detour me from going somewheres else. So I think I'm goin to try that route now.

Haha. Yeah I just realized that myself. Apparently though I found out that my warrenty doesnt seem to be completly voided after having another dealer run the vin so maybe they were just trying to detour me from going somewheres else. So I think I'm goin to try that route now.

ya, definitely go to another dealership! if this works out, it could save you a load of unnecessary trouble...=/

I had a feeling thats what would happen. Im pretty sure to have your warranty voided and flagged a mazda rep has to come out to inspect your car and make that final decision. Did the other dealer say anything was void or flagged? If not I would obviously put youy car back to stock and start over.
My service department has told me if they install any mazdaspeed performance or accessory part my factory powertrain will always be honered. If I install anything aftermarket or mazdaspeed myself, there could be a problem. They were very friendly about it.

Ya know, I got to thinking about this. When I had my Protege I had an AEM SRI and a Corksport full exhaust, as well as numerous other upgrades. I was never once denied warranty service. The only time it even got questioned was about a window motor and the tint on the windows creating more friction, but other than that, they never bothered my car.

As for the Mazdaspeed accessories, if you put them on yourself, it's hard for them to prove that a dealer did or didn't do it. Save yourself the labor, especially if its a CAI. If you've got the tools to do it yourself, I highly suggest it. It teaches you about your car and saves you the cost.

they can probe it since all records of the car follow the VIN to any dealer it goes.

Since when does opening up breathing cause more heat, did your thermostat and radiator get removed as well?

My job is a warranty claims administrator and auditor. Trust me, the dealership has no say in this, they just report what they see.

Your entire warranty can not be voided, but the drivetrain portion can, just as the suspension portion or audio portion can be for mods to those systems.

And if you want to fight a voided warranty, you usually can't do it in small claims court, because the value of the warranty is higher than the limits in most states for small claims court.

I will also add, don't waste your money, and don't plan on winning. Not to be rude, but I have yet to see anyone win to get it reinstated. I've seen denied claims get overturned, but never a voided warranty get "unvoided".

While the law is that the dealer or manufacturer must prove the part is what contributed to the failure, that isn't going to help you. It is CAKE for them to prove this. And their lawyers can usually cite legally accepted precedent so they won't have to have an expert testify.

I will add though, if you win a case in court for a denied repair, the manufacturer or insurance company of that manufacturer will usually have to pay your legal fees.

QFT and to repost for good info.

yea Mazda is just being an asshole i had a supercharger, eibach pro kit and numerous mods done to my 04 svt focus and had a axle replaced under warranty...they never said anything beside they get alot of their help info from forums.. i laughed..

Back