Yes! Voided Warranty

So I don't know if this is in the right section but I'm hoping to get some sympathizers. Basically when I first bought the car I noticed smoking after extended idling. The dealer said it was just condensation. Well now I have a dp and know it is the turbo seals. So I go to the dealer and they call the mazda tech line and say it is a known problem with the seals but they have to call the district manager. I then get a call saying that he voided my complete warranty because of a cai, boost gauge and a tbe. Which I dont have, I have a dp, rp and two resonators removed from the stock exhaust. I call mazda and say hey what about Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. They say their warranty isn't covered by these standards. This dealer also put my lugs on loose and said it was because of their faulty air tools. Any ideas what else to do I am calling the states attorney office tommorow to ask if the warranty does fall under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Then plan to take them to small claims court.

So basically they are saying their right to void a warranty trumps US law? (jerkit)

I read the warranty packet that came with the car. All I remember that voids the warranty outside after market part failure is racing.

sorry to say it dude but its not that easy....they might give you a warranty but remember that those parts cost the dealership money and just like many other places, when you get a warranty of some sort and something happens...really their job is to not fix your problem and make your life as difficult as possible so they dont spend the money.

either way, this should not have happend

now im paranoid ... when i get my next oil change what's stopping them from putting in their records that i have an aftermarket intake (not mazdaspeed)? ... then sometime in the future if something goes wrong with the engine, they justify denying the warranty because their records reflect that i had installed an intake in the past ... this sucks ...

You know you can get the oil changed somewhere else, just keep the receipt/service records for warranty purposes.

You don't need to bring it to Mazda for oil changes :)

You guys do realize it's not the dealership that voids the warranty, it's the Mazda Rep. for the area. The dealership makes money whether it's warranty or customer pay. The Tech. might hate doing the job, but the dealership as a whole loves it because it's making them money.

Is it going to cost more to hire an attorney and fight this in court than to just fix the car yourself? A turbo is only a few hundred bucks usually.

Yeah I just read the thread and that's total s***. Even my service manager said that it only voids the warranty for that piece replaced, unless the whole motor blows up and they can prove it was because of one of the custom mods that was installed. Fuel cut defender, EMS, chip w/e the case maybe.

You're in MD, you should pm him the information for your dealer.

A couple of things to note:

- If you contact an attorney, Mazda will not do any repairs until the issue is reconciled. It may spur them to act though.
- Get something in writing from Mazda telling you why service was denied.
- See if you can talk to someone at CPE or another mechanic's to provide you a written statement on why an exhaust component can not introduce oil into the turbo.
- Make sure that you know that you are not just going to "go away". I would make life difficult for the DM too. Call, email, nag, just generally take up his time. There are ways to track down email, addresses and phone numbers...

Good Luck dude...

Well I've already pmed staples about his dealer and I dont think I can do anything since my warranty has completely been voided. On a side note I have found an attorney who has been successful going after several dealers in my area and will be talking to her shortly. The biggest problem is not the cost of the turbo. It is the fact that the dealer put lugs on my car loose (because their air tools were leaky), which most likely caused my rotors to warp and now every now and then I get weird noises from the steering system. They are refusing to look at it because my voided warranty. And the DM refused to contact me.

Get a lawyer involved. You give the attorney a "retainer" which is like a deposit to show him you mean business. When the case is settled the dealer pays for the attorneys fees and you get your retainer back, with a new turbo on your car. That simple.

-1 FOR LACK OF POSITIVE MORAL SUPPORT (stooges)
I'm sorry I'm not blowing smoke up his ass. You modify an engine, you've made the decision to null your warranty. You modify an engine with a suspect turbo, you're just asking for problems. It sucks his turbo went south and needs to be replaced. It sucks the intake didn't cause the issue, but its a risk you take when you modify a car... and you have to own up to it.

I didn't cry and piss my pants at the dealership when my wastegate actuator took a dump in the middle of a trackday... I bought a new one and installed it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm not blowing smoke up his ass. You modify an engine, you've made the decision to null your warranty. You modify an engine with a suspect turbo, you're just asking for problems. It sucks his turbo went south and needs to be replaced, and it sucks the intake didn't cause the issue, but its a risk you take when you modify a car you have to own up to it.

I didn't cry and piss my pants at the dealership when my wastegate actuator took a dump in the middle of a trackday... I bought a new one and installed it.

preach! amen!

I certainly was not blowing smoke up his ass or suggesting that he bend over and take one up there either!

Fact is the dealer cannot legally void his warranty without proving that a particular mod caused his problem. They can attempt to do so initially but that won't hold up in court. You don't need a lawyer to fight them in small claims court either. If your claim is for more than $5K, you might want to hire one as civil proceedings are more involved.

If you put something on your car and abuse the s*** of it then that is another story. Same goes for putting it back to stock and pretending that's how it was when the problem occured.

My job is a warranty claims administrator and auditor. Trust me, the dealership has no say in this, they just report what they see.

Your entire warranty can not be voided, but the drivetrain portion can, just as the suspension portion or audio portion can be for mods to those systems.

And if you want to fight a voided warranty, you usually can't do it in small claims court, because the value of the warranty is higher than the limits in most states for small claims court.

I will also add, don't waste your money, and don't plan on winning. Not to be rude, but I have yet to see anyone win to get it reinstated. I've seen denied claims get overturned, but never a voided warranty get "unvoided".

While the law is that the dealer or manufacturer must prove the part is what contributed to the failure, that isn't going to help you. It is CAKE for them to prove this. And their lawyers can usually cite legally accepted precedent so they won't have to have an expert testify.

I will add though, if you win a case in court for a denied repair, the manufacturer or insurance company of that manufacturer will usually have to pay your legal fees.

The part or parts in question must be proven to have directly caused the problem. The dealer cannot arbitrarily choose to apply conditions to obtaining coverage, amend the terms of the contract or apply some sort of existence of aftermarket parts standard when there are no such provision in the contract to do so. His warranty coverage was denied without merit. All of the experts in the world will not change that fact. His case is CAKE!

I'm not surprised that a dealer, area rep or warranty agent would attempt to do this. For its one of many reasons that this business has a well earned poor reputation when it comes to consumers.

The law is on the side of the consumer for good reason.

The part or parts in question must be proven to have directly caused the problem. The dealer cannot arbitrarily choose to apply conditions to obtaining coverage, amend the terms of the contract or apply some sort of existence of aftermarket parts standard when there are no such provision in the contract to do so. His warranty coverage was denied without merit. All of the experts in the world will not change that fact. His case is CAKE!

I'm not surprised that a dealer, area rep or warranty agent would attempt to do this. For its one of many reasons that this business has a well earned poor reputation when it comes to consumers.

The law is on the side of the consumer for good reason.

+1

Back