Yes! Voided Warranty

a dealership CAN NOT VOID YOUR ENTIRE WARRANTY

All they can do is refuse service if and only if the modified part causes a problem. And they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part is the reason another part failed. IE: if you do suspension work and your window motor craps out they cannot refuse service on the window motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

a dealership CAN NOT VOID YOUR ENTIRE WARRANTY

All they can do is refuse service if and only if the modified part causes a problem. And they have to be able to prove that the aftermarket part is the reason another part failed. IE: if you do suspension work and your window motor craps out they cannot refuse service on the window motor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson-Moss_Warranty_Act

I tried telling them that and I even provided them a full copy of the act and with a big grin they said it doesn't apply to their type of warranty and so did the mazda na rep. Apparently the district manager got a hold of my vin and did put it in the system to void the warrenty.

DAWIV, thank you very much for that link. I had found other sources but thats the most helpful. The only problem I see is that I'm pretty sure it will be close to $5,00 but I will find out tommorow. Also the only thing really left before I seek the help of the court system is to speak to the states attorney and see if he will give me some advice.

I tried telling them that and I even provided them a full copy of the act and with a big grin they said it doesn't apply to their type of warranty and so did the mazda na rep. Apparently the district manager got a hold of my vin and did put it in the system to void the warrenty.

They are playing hard ball, hire and attorney and they will change their tune. I would simply approach them and ask them for a copy of your service records. Make sure you document everything!

Is there anyone in your area that can help you file this claim?

Your welcome. I'm 3-0 in warranty cases. Most attorney's will want a retainer to speak with you and that is not worth it imo for your case. I doubt the MD states attorney will help you legally either but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just find out the cost of the turbo, 8 hours labor and court cost and use that for the amount.

It seems easy enough to do myself. I'm really trying not to hire an attorney. I'm hoping that when I call the states attorney tommorow he offers some good advice. Also I'm not even sure if I need a special attorney like someone who does lemon law or just a regular one. It's definately a little confusing, after doing the research so far I really hope I don't ever have to look at taking anyone else to court. My biggest worry is that I will not be able to take the dealer to court because they will say that its mazda not wanting to do the work not them.

It seems easy enough to do myself. I'm really trying not to hire an attorney. I'm hoping that when I call the states attorney tommorow he offers some good advice. Also I'm not even sure if I need a special attorney like someone who does lemon law or just a regular one. It's definately a little confusing, after doing the research so far I really hope I don't ever have to look at taking anyone else to court. My biggest worry is that I will not be able to take the dealer to court because they will say that its mazda not wanting to do the work not them.

seriously dude this happened to me when i had my SRT4, get an attorney or they will keep blowing you off. keep in mind they have attorneys working for them that are sitting around doing s***. unfortunately a dealership can void your warranty for whatever they feel like without an explanation. Get an attorney that wil sue the s*** out of them and that is money hungry. He will make sure they fix your car, probably reinstate your warranty and that his pockets get lined while doing it. . . i kno this might sound like some BS but you have my sympathy and its the only way...trust me homie you wont get anywhere without going this route. i kno when it come shyster lawyers everyone hates and money is usually the issue but you dont have any other recourse besides buying another turbo. GOOD LUCK!

Getting an attorney is definitely the best way to go, man. Kick their ass and come back to celebrate here, because they're just ASKING for trouble by denying Magnuson Moss...=/

Yeah I just read the thread and that's total s***. Even my service manager said that it only voids the warranty for that piece replaced, unless the whole motor blows up and they can prove it was because of one of the custom mods that was installed. Fuel cut defender, EMS, chip w/e the case maybe.

the last time the fixed op. district manager was in my dealership we were talking about mods, and i asked him about a down pipe. he said it would void my warranty. also, once a VIN is red flagged, it will pop up at whatever dealership you take it too. just the other week, we had a guy bring in a rx-8 that was completely stock and wouldn't run. the guy bought used, thinking he has warranty. punched in the VIN and it showed no powertrain warranty. previous owner had a turbo on it.

the last time the fixed op. district manager was in my dealership we were talking about mods, and i asked him about a down pipe. he said it would void my warranty. also, once a VIN is red flagged, it will pop up at whatever dealership you take it too. just the other week, we had a guy bring in a rx-8 that was completely stock and wouldn't run. the guy bought used, thinking he has warranty. punched in the VIN and it showed no powertrain warranty. previous owner had a turbo on it.

Well I could see with a turbo, but I guess different strokes for different folks. To void someones warranty knowing that the replaced mod wasn't the cause of the problem is bulls*** and not admitting to fault. I've had warranty work done on my car like I've said in previous posts when I had my TBE with no issues at all. A turboback isn't going to detonate a motor. Adding a turbo to NA motor could, it's a difference between night and day.

ok i didnt read every post so sorry if this has been said. first off like previously said ask for the addendum that states the act does not cover their warranty. secondly going directly to court may not be necessary, often times a simple attorneys letter will suffice. they cant b.s someone who knows the facts. thirdly going to another dealer is a very good idea especially if you explain how they treated you and how disgusted you are with them. this is an opportunity for that dealer to earn your business nd prove how much better they are. and thirdly gather as much paperwork as possible that supports your case i.e letters from legal aide that say it is covered, what process they ignored in proving your warranty was in fact voidable, bulletins showing mazda admits this issue, even forum posts of other owners who had this problem and that their dealer corrected it. this is a simple case of the dealer trying to avoid paying especially that they misinformed you in the first place stating it was condensation. now im no expert but this would be my first approach at this.

oh and bug the living s*** out of them. i worked for a very reputable dealer for sometime and the customers who had it the easiest were the ones that were so damn annoying that the managers just wanted hem to leave so they said "here its fixed now please go away!"

Last edited:
now im paranoid ... when i get my next oil change what's stopping them from putting in their records that i have an aftermarket intake (not mazdaspeed)? ... then sometime in the future if something goes wrong with the engine, they justify denying the warranty because their records reflect that i had installed an intake in the past ... this sucks ...

(eek2)the best thing to do is get to know the service rep and be honest, before installing a dp im going to tell my service rep that i am considering it and if i have problems with a seal if i will be covered. Call a lawyer and do something officially, but thats gona cost u money. Tell the rep nicely that they have to prove ur mods dmg'd the turbo. and try to work ti out, and they definitely put a memo or some s*** about ur vin being voided, keep going to the same dealer. tough situation, sucks to be you right now (eek2)

(eek2)the best thing to do is get to know the service rep and be honest, before installing a dp im going to tell my service rep that i am considering it and if i have problems with a seal if i will be covered. Call a lawyer and do something officially, but thats gona cost u money. Tell the rep nicely that they have to prove ur mods dmg'd the turbo. and try to work ti out, and they definitely put a memo or some s*** about ur vin being voided, keep going to the same dealer. tough situation, sucks to be you right now (eek2)

sorry to say it dude but its not that easy....they might give you a warranty but remember that those parts cost the dealership money and just like many other places, when you get a warranty of some sort and something happens...really their job is to not fix your problem and make your life as difficult as possible so they dont spend the money.

Call a lawyer. It will take bascily one formal letter from a laywer and they will drasticly change their minds.
Also write your better buisness buereo and file a complaint on the dealer.

sorry to say it dude but its not that easy....they might give you a warranty but remember that those parts cost the dealership money and just like many other places, when you get a warranty of some sort and something happens...really their job is to not fix your problem and make your life as difficult as possible so they dont spend the money.

Warranty parts don't cost dealerships anything. Mazda USA pays for the parts AND labor. Too many warranty claims for one dealership can have some ill effects on the dealer I was told.

Back