Yes! Voided Warranty

So I don't know if this is in the right section but I'm hoping to get some sympathizers. Basically when I first bought the car I noticed smoking after extended idling. The dealer said it was just condensation. Well now I have a dp and know it is the turbo seals. So I go to the dealer and they call the mazda tech line and say it is a known problem with the seals but they have to call the district manager. I then get a call saying that he voided my complete warranty because of a cai, boost gauge and a tbe. Which I dont have, I have a dp, rp and two resonators removed from the stock exhaust. I call mazda and say hey what about Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. They say their warranty isn't covered by these standards. This dealer also put my lugs on loose and said it was because of their faulty air tools. Any ideas what else to do I am calling the states attorney office tommorow to ask if the warranty does fall under the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act. Then plan to take them to small claims court.

What dealer ?! I live in near Towson MD. Which cai do you have?

Last edited:
I'm sorry I'm not blowing smoke up his ass. You modify an engine, you've made the decision to null your warranty. You modify an engine with a suspect turbo, you're just asking for problems. It sucks his turbo went south and needs to be replaced. It sucks the intake didn't cause the issue, but its a risk you take when you modify a car... and you have to own up to it.

I didn't cry and piss my pants at the dealership when my wastegate actuator took a dump in the middle of a trackday... I bought a new one and installed it.

Dude, I wouldnt call an intake, boost guage and some exhaust modifying the engine. Its not like he played with the boost or changed anything on the engine. You sound like a tool. I would totaly agree if he put on a boost controller and blindly turned up the boost. This guy simply has a factory defect. Unless you are rich, you would cry and piss your pants if your engine blew on you because of a factory defect and all you had done was a boost guage for ex.

Last edited:
To answer the why mod a car with known turbo issues and expect this when you mod, all I can say is you probably are right. That's why I waited for people to begin to get their turbos fixed under warranty. I didn't realize that mazda could give two differnt decisions for the same problem. That is the main reason I think I will have a good chance in court. But then again I guess mazda could say they were differnt situations.

A lot of times all it takes is a letter from a certified attorney. When I threatened to take a business to court for not properly fixing my car a while back and sent them a letter from my attorney they were scared shitless and decided to fix the problems and not have the car leave the garage until it was fixed, properly.

Bad turbos? How many? 2 or 3 claims? Anyone got REAL #'s instead of bull crap rumors?

Bad turbos? How many? 2 or 3 claims? Anyone got REAL #'s instead of bull crap rumors?

Well from what I've seen on the forums over 25 have already been fixed under warranty... with or without mods, TBE's included.

I have seen at least triple that number in people that have described the smoking issue.

Mazda made a part number change on the 07's to 08 turbo's and that in itself proves that it was a design flaw regardless of any modifications done to the car.

This is a turbo defect, not related to all cars, but a very substantial amount.

As a matter of fact, the MS6 crowd had the same issue.

Last edited:
so if the seals were bad from the get go wouldnt the car be burning oil or coolant?
Yes, and as a matter of fact, it probably is. The Catalytic converters do a very good job of masking the issue. And this is obvious when people start modding with racepipes and downpipes that remove the cats. Over time even a complete stock car could show the issue. This of course is after both the factory cats have been ruined from the oil.....

Well from what I've seen on the forums over 25 have already been fixed under warranty... with or without mods, TBE's included.

I would I have seen at least triple that number in people that have described the smoking issue.

Mazda made a part number change on the 07's to 08 turbo's and that in itself proves that it was a design flaw regardless of any modifications done to the car.

This is a turbo defect, not related to all cars, but a very substantial amount.

As a matter of fact, the MS6 crowd had the same issue.

I have the 6 and since the cat back exhaust its smokes like a b**** after 10 minutes at idle.

Last edited:
I thought a mazda rep needs to come out and make the final decision of flagging and voiding your warranty.
This is what someone (NOT ME)from the srt4 forums said: (is this true?)

They can't flag your warranty. The dealer is only authorized to due warranty work, and determine work on a slightly modified car in warranty can get them in trouble.
Some take the option to steer clear of any modified in-warranty vehicles probably because they were audited from the manufacturer in the past.
They can't flag your VIN. You have the right to take it to any dealer you want to and if one turns down work they can't stop you from trying to go to other dealers.
I've been through this bulls*** with the past Jeeps I've owned. Some will fix it and keep a warranty on it, some will fix it and put no warranty on the parts/labor, others just will not touch it period even if the concern is completely unrelated.

From what what your saying, it sounds like they made this voiding decision without a mazda rep?

Good luck bro. This is why I am not gonna mod till my warrenty expires.

I always get a kick out of this one... So let's say your warranty is up and your turbo blows. You spend, say, $1500 and get a new turbo.

Now let's say your car is under warranty, and you blow a turbo. You spend, say, $1500 and get a new turbo because Mazda won't honor your warranty.

Same thing; why wait until your warranty is up? What's the difference? I've been modding my warrantied and non-warrantied cars for years. Gotta pay to play either way.

To answer the maker of this thread: I'd try a different Dealer first and see if they'll fix it. I've had this same sort of thing happen and the other Dealer never knew about the first Dealer not honoring the warranty. Another option is to take the mods off and put it back to stock, then go to a different Dealer. Another option, like someone posted above, is to just buy a new turbo and upgrade while you're at it.

I always get a kick out of this one... So let's say your warranty is up and your turbo blows. You spend, say, $1500 and get a new turbo.

Now let's say your car is under warranty, and you blow a turbo. You spend, say, $1500 and get a new turbo because Mazda won't honor your warranty.

Same thing; why wait until your warranty is up? What's the difference? I've been modding my warrantied and non-warrantied cars for years. Gotta pay to play either way.

why won't mazda honor my warranty if my car is totaly stock? I fail to see the point you are making here. The point I am making is that I bought a brand new car so I will keep it stock so that if anything happens to it within warranty it will be fixed for free.

why won't mazda honor my warranty if my car is totaly stock? I fail to see the point you are making here. The point I am making is that I bought a brand new car so I will keep it stock so that if anything happens to it within warranty it will be fixed for free.

+1

Thats an option if your not mechnically inclined. I have access to lifts,tools, compressors, ect so any mods i do i can reverse b4 any warranty issues. And unless its something i can;t take care of myself i will fix it myself. The dealership is about 60miles out so its rarely worth the trip.

Thats an option if your not mechnically inclined. I have access to lifts,tools, compressors, ect so any mods i do i can reverse b4 any warranty issues. And unless its something i can;t take care of myself i will fix it myself. The dealership is about 60miles out so its rarely worth the trip.

That's exactly right. If you have that setup going then it makes sense to do almost all jobs yourself. I have a more limited situation I have jack and stands and hand tools and a oxy acetylene torch and a driveway to work with. So in the middle of winter I am alot more limited in what I can do. If you can take care of everything yourself more power to you. I will have to settle for just doing the basics(fluids,brakes, tires) while I have warranty protection.

Dude, I wouldnt call an intake, boost guage and some exhaust modifying the engine. Its not like he played with the boost or changed anything on the engine. You sound like a tool. I would totaly agree if he put on a boost controller and blindly turned up the boost. This guy simply has a factory defect. Unless you are rich, you would cry and piss your pants if your engine blew on you because of a factory defect and all you had done was a boost guage for ex.

He modified the powertain, its as simple as that. He knew the turbo seals were suspect but decided to modify the car anyways. He took a chance and got screwed. I've spent quite a bit of time and money fixing the mistakes Mazda made on the MSP and yet it doesnt bother me... You have to take responsibility when you modify a car and it breaks.

But not everyone is getting screwed. It's funny how Mazda has no problem fixing the turbo on a car with a Full turbo-back on one car, then in another state says the warranty is voided.

Why the double standard?

They know there is a problem... they should fix it regardless... it has nothing to do with any mods.

Man the situation sucks. But in reality Mazda or any other manufacturer has the right to void your warranty in your situation. It sucks, but you have had to know that putting in this parts and taking the car to the dealership with them on would have brought you some problems. By putting a CAI, a race pipe, etc you have succefully opened up the breathing of the engine, putting on more stress on all parts, the more power it makes the more heat it generates and in turn that could cause the seals to give up specially on a turbo known for the defect. It is my opinion you should have removed the parts before showing up for warranty work, I sincerely think its going to be a tough battle to get it back into a warranty fix, but will surely hope iam wrong.

On another note, this exact same problem appeared in my STi, I had a catless the and an intake. Boost level went up by 2~3 psi and the car ran awesome. Them the smoke started to show, coincidentally about a month after I switched to synthetic oil! So if you want to try what ultimately fixed my car, go back to dyno oil if you have switched!

Good luck,
Vic

That's exactly right. If you have that setup going then it makes sense to do almost all jobs yourself. I have a more limited situation I have jack and stands and hand tools and a oxy acetylene torch and a driveway to work with. So in the middle of winter I am alot more limited in what I can do. If you can take care of everything yourself more power to you. I will have to settle for just doing the basics(fluids,brakes, tires) while I have warranty protection.

sri and a top mount would give you some power, but can be swapped out fairly quickly. Motor mount would also be an aftermarket upgrade that would not be noticed by a dealer unless you were complaining about it.

First off, let me say that I feel bad for ya man. But I'm gonna offer suggestions that I haven't seen yet.

First off, you need to document EVERYTHING if something like this were to happen. In your case, you need to get the name, date, dealer, time, etc. when you go in for service if this comes up. Make them print up a service letter detailing their reasons so that you can build up a file. They can't deny written proof. If you keep a log of your events, its only going to strengthen your case.

Second, if your car was smoking before you put a mod on it, then you made a mistake there. You should have had the car looked at first and made the dealer have no possible reason to rule it out. In the future, take the quick mods off your car if possible.

Last, try another dealer. It won't hurt to try it. They could just be using a scare tactic to tell you that it won't get fixed.

Best of luck with of all this.

Back