WTB FMIC (Bolt on)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a FMIC that's bolt on. I'd rather not cut up, weld on, or mangle any part of my MSP to install it. If anyone has one for sale, or knows someone who is selling theirs I'd really appreciate any information!

Thanks guys!

Ox

The altered customs ones are nice, and they aren't too expensive. 425 with all the pipes and everything. You do have to cut the pipes that they send you down a little, but a number of people have them and they seem to work really well! I will probably be getting one as soon as the funds are here hehe.

Hmm do you have to cut into the car or anything? Or just cut/change the piping? Also would you happen to have a link?

yeah man it's http://alteredcustoms.net. Jen is an MSP owner and made it to work with the MSP so it should just be pretty much bolt on. There are some kits on the website that you will have to cut the bumper brace, but most of them fit on top of it, so all you will have to do is cut the pipes themselves. Shouldn't have to cut the car at all.

Well I appreciate your help, but I have a Injen CAI which won't work with those FMIC =\ Thanks though

the only kit that reqiures NO cutting at all is the Hi-Boost kit.....and those dont come up for sale often. The Corksport and iON/Kinetic kits require a little bit of trimming. You can still buy them off the shelf but they are pricey.

Dude. If you don't need a huge one and have no need for a really expensive one, search craigslist/Ebay.

Ebay ones take a lot of cutting tho hehe. Also. Ur injen cai comes apart to work as a sri so you can use the altered customs kit. Right where the maf hooks up to the cai.

dude, you do realize that the altered customs kit is just a CX racing kit, exactly like the one they have on ebay? there's a how to on here for a DIY ebay kit, might as well follow that and save some $$$. and you cant run an injen intake, even as an sri, if you plan on running your cold pipe through the fender hole

you are going to have to do a little cutting with most kits as most products are never 100% bolt on. My Corksport kit needed trimming on the frame and some of the splash guard underneath the car, and also I had to swap my OEM radiator fan for a slimmer one because the hot pipe would hit the fan shroud. But Corksport offers a slimmer fan with their kit for that reason. Until this day, I still don't think my core sits 100% perfect unless it's just my eyes but it does the job and does it well.

i was afraid to trim anything on my car as well, but if you dont want to trim ANYTHING, leave it stock. the altered customs kit means you have to cut the s*** out of the pipes you get and otherwise is a waste of money. it was worth it (semi) when she was on here giving a lot of support, but now, you pay $200 for barely usable instructions. also, if you remove your SMIC, you may be able to get away without cutting anything, you just have to be very clever about it and find your own solutions. it has definitely been done.
your best bet would be the ion kit (which is still made by kinetic) or hiboost, but good luck finding that.

That's what the word on the sreet is. I actually have a thread about this. 5" is what I've heard is the largest you can got without cutting/welding the crashbar

ok, you may be able to get the core to mount up without cutting but most of the cutting starts when you are installing the pipes. I guarantee no ebay kit has prefabbed pipes for the MSP so no matter what you get, you will have to cut for the pipes to fit or clear in certain areas.

Well I would like to find a kit that requires the least alteration of other parts of my car. Also I looked into the altered custom FMIC which I wouldn't be able to use my Injen CAI. So it looks like I'm mainly looking for an Ion/HiBoost.

If anyone has any knowledge of one being sold I'd really appreciate the info =)

Ox

im telling you - dont waste your money on the altered customs kit. you have two (well sorta) choices here:
1.) pay about 120-150 to get a stack of pipes and a core delivered to your door. theres a thousand people on here who could help you turn that into a working intercooler where you would not have to cut much of your car.
1b.) pay about 450 to get a stack of pipes and a core with a loosely worded word document delivered to your door. have people laugh at you since its identical to 1 but three times more expensive.
2.) find a used ion/hiboost kit and pay about 450-600
2b.) buy a new ion kit for a cool grand, plus the cost of a blowoff valve, flange, and replacement couplers.

thats it. if you make the kit, you can make it do whatever you want, and its what 75% of people on here have done.

+2^^^

It appears your car is fairly (if not all) stock as well. If you needed a larger intercooler for performance needs, you would normally have to remove the crash bar all together or cut it. Since you don't have those kinds of needs, if you were to spend $500-$1000 for some "brand name" kit that you have absolutely no need to get one, you'd be wasting a lot of money (for a BOV (rockon)). Cutting a little bit is a part of most frount mount installations so if you are hoping to bypass it, good luck.

Honestly from person to person, get the 27x5x2.5 core from eBay (search "mazdaspeed protege frount mount intercooler") and buy the universal piping kit with two U-bends. It's cheap, it works, it's somewhat easy to install, plus let's say you **** a pipe up, you don't have to replace a $200 pipe, you just buy a $20 replacement from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back