White smoke out of the rear

jbrewer4639

Contributor
:
2003 mazdaspeed protege
The other day I was merging onto the interstate (got the the car up to about 5 grand) and I noticed some white smoke blowing out of the exhaust when I started slowing down. I checked for leaks under the car and found none, I have no check engine lights, and the car runs as smooth as ice. I did some cruising around town to see if it does it again and it only does it if I get up into the 5-5500 rpm area otherwise everything is normal. The smoke didn't start immediately either it was kinda delayed that's why I figured I had a leak. Also, I am at 8psi. Has anyone else had this problem or got a idea of what's going on?

Last edited:
Ya I agree probly early signs of head gasket id check to see if u have any oil mixing into ur coolent and drain some oil and see if u can tell if there's any coolent in that

DAM I did not want to hear that s***

Does it do it every day and each time you hit 5000-5500 rpms? If it is a HG issue or warped cylinder head it would do it all the time, you'd see traces of the coolant between the block & head and coolant would shoot out of the radiator when idling with the cap off once its up to temp.

I think it's oil burning because I all of a sudden have no oil. I did just replace my exhaust mani so maybe I didn't tighen everything properly. I will check that out when the new exhaust system comes in.

Does it do it every day and each time you hit 5000-5500 rpms? If it is a HG issue or warped cylinder head it would do it all the time, you'd see traces of the coolant between the block & head and coolant would shoot out of the radiator when idling with the cap off once its up to temp.

No i only notice it occassionally and now i try to stay away from 5000-5500 until i figure out what the deal is. I'm saving some cash in case this is the straw that is going to break my camels back.

Not yet, I will tho. I replace the o-rings, gaskets, and crush washers a few months ago when I changed the mani. Is there any other place it could leak from the turbo? I've heard about them burning oil.

Not yet, I will tho. I replace the o-rings, gaskets, and crush washers a few months ago when I changed the mani. Is there any other place it could leak from the turbo? I've heard about them burning oil.

lol well i just blew my turbo a few weeks ago, i could only tell you how much oil was in the piping and every once in a while id get white smoke too. but for me it was random, no specific RPM or anything, just whenever the turbines hit the sweet spot on the housing. lol.

oh well just another excuse for me to source a disco potato. also I have no codes being thrown

Ya I'm thinkin it's just the turbo burning off a bit of oil here and there from worn out seals. I heard this can go on for ages though with no problems just make sure to top up ur oil especially if ur takin the car into boost all the time.

A head gasket can cause the engine to burn oil as well, so don't rule it out. However, logic dictates, that you start your search from the most likely culprit - the turbo. Oil does burn blue, but telling blue smoke and white smoke apart while ripping down the interstate is not as easy as it sounds. A quick check you can do to see if the turbo is on its way out, is remove the intake pipe, and look for oil. With the turbo cold, wiggle the compressor shaft in and out, side to side. In and out play is fine, as long as it's VERY LITTLE on a ball bearing turbo, but ANY side to side play is not good. If it gets bad enough, the wheels can even hit the housing, so look for bent blade tips.

I'd do a compression test to see what your numbers are. If they are not up to par, i would recommend a leak down test to further determine the cause of your issue. A compression test will take less than a half hour plus that is a good indication to the health of your motor.

Ya I'm thinkin it's just the turbo burning off a bit of oil here and there from worn out seals. I heard this can go on for ages though with no problems just make sure to top up ur oil especially if ur takin the car into boost all the time.

ive been seeing smoke coming out of my exhaust for awhile now..i just have to check oil regularly and add oil when its low.. i think its the turbo but im not sure

I found my high dollar motor oil today in my intercooler pipes.

SANY0722.jpg

SANY0724.jpg

SANY0725.jpg

and the pcv vavle is new. I'm still going to get a commpression test asap.

Back