Smoke from CX-5 exhaust

Hi Folks,

I noticed last night some smoke coming from my exhaust pipes while idling in park. It was 47 degress farenheit outside. I hit the gas to raise RPMs to around 2500 and saw more smoke. It was night so I couldn't tell the color of the smoke. The engine was well warmed up and so this wasn't a cold start thing.

Is this normal because of the temperature outside? It wasn't a huge amount of smoke but enough for me to notice it in my side mirrors. I'm just curious if it's something to be worried about. It's a CX-5 Sig. Thanks for any input!

quite normal. the colder it gets the more "smoke" its actually vapours. I noticed my turbo vx5 smokes more hehe vs the non turbo cx5.
Sometimes even when the car is turned off it continues but much smaller - from the heated exhaust tip.

Yep sounds normal but check in daylight . White or blue is bad.
Cold weather exhaust is similar to clouds...it will be a transparent like whitish that dissipates. Coolant white is exactly that...white white and will hang a little and may smell a little subdued sweet.

It could be normal. Or it could be burning oil or coolant. If the oil and coolant levels are holding steady then no worries.

The outdoor humidity and dew point (and temp of course) also have something to do with the amount of vapor you might see in your exhaust.

Back