CX-5 2021 Valve cover gasket sweating oil

CX-8? Not available in the US, and I thought it’s only for sale in China.

Keep us posted.
Side note regarding the CX-8...I believe it's still for sale in Japan and Australia...Not sure about other markets such as China, Thailand and Vietnam.

Side note regarding the CX-8...I believe it's still for sale in Japan and Australia...Not sure about other markets such as China, Thailand and Vietnam.
We certainly have the CX8 here in AU.

Attachments

• 20231015_161819.jpg
    20231015_161819.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20231015_161806.jpg
    20231015_161806.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231015_161710.jpg
    20231015_161710.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 56
Update: The dealer replaced the OCV (Oil Control Valve) and said it may have been damaged while the valve cover gasket was replaced.

They kept the car for another day to drive it and see if the check engine light comes on again, it seems fine so far.

Will pick it up today and have a longer trip tomorrow. Again fingers crossed that's the end of the story.

Update: The dealer replaced the OCV (Oil Control Valve) and said it may have been damaged while the valve cover gasket was replaced.

They kept the car for another day to drive it and see if the check engine light comes on again, it seems fine so far.

Will pick it up today and have a longer trip tomorrow. Again fingers crossed that's the end of the story.
The OCV itself is prone to leak on CX-5 but we’ve never seen it caused any CEL. It’s nice it got replaced for free ($$$) now, as most likely you may need it in the future.

It’s strange that your dealer refused to give you the CEL code. Usually it’ll also stated on the invoice at the time you visited. Without telling you the code we can only guess and pray.

Keep us posted.

I had the CEL on my 2018. It clogged shortly after the chain cover leak fix. I"ll spare the extra details but it was due to dealer not changing the oil.
Went back with the exact freeze frames (multiple times the CEL lit) and all the extra details.
Was asked to show proof of oil changes and what oil filter I used in the past. another Warranty claim and new ocv was installed.
I would agree its very rare and only human introduced issue can trigger this.

Last edited:
I had the CEL on my 2018. It clogged shortly after the chain cover leak fix. I"ll spare the extra details but it was due to dealer not changing the oil.
Went back with the exact freeze frames (multiple times the CEL lit) and all the extra details.
Was asked to show proof of oil changes and what oil filter I used in the past. another Warranty claim and new ocv was installed.
I would agree its very rare and only human introduced issue can trigger this.
Do you remember the CEL code for this clogged OCV?

Do you remember the CEL code for this clogged OCV?
I dont recall the exact error msg/code but it was something with the exhaust cam retarding. And it does not prevent the car from running. The cel goes away after a while then comes back and so on. I drove at least 500 miles before I decided to go back to the dealer. The car is still pretty much driveable normally. Guessing it goes to some override/default.

Back